Thread: IWC end plate on A5 no go

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)

IWC end plate on A5 no go

I saw on an old thread others had fitment issues with A5 tubes too. My IWC QD limited end plate won't slide onto either 6 or 7 position A5 tubes. It appears if I file the tab down a little it might go on. Anyone else done this and been successful?
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The IWC plates require a bit of sanding down on the tab for all the receiver extensions I've tried (BCM, VLTOR, and Tactical Intent).

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Thanks. I filed it down and fits fine. Good to know the diameter is not off.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    How much material did you take off? And was it much harder to stake than a standard end plate? I looked it up and it apparently is melonited.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I filed off about 1/16". I have several builds done over the winter and will wait for some range testing to determine which end up with A5s before I stake. I can't imagine a melonite coating affecting staking much. It's just a coating as far as I know.

Feedback Score
    I had no issues fitting an IWC QD endplate over a BCM RE tube.

But I did have issues with it not fitting flush against the back of the lower receiver (tried it on two different forged Mega lowers). The standard endplate has a large dimple that recesses into the hole in the rear of the lower, but the IWC's milled QD hole has a small radius at the base of the QD slot that doesn't recess properly into the hole in the receiver. So it ends up with a gap between the endplate and the receiver, and the castle nut wasn't square with the endplate when tightening. Along with the IWC endplate being 50% thicker than standard, it was a no-go in my build using a magpul fixed stock.

So double check your's to make sure it's recessed properly and there's no gap. I guess you could gently relieve the edge of the lower receiver hole to accept the radius and let it sit flush, but I didn't need a QD endplate bad enough to do that to mine.

The backsides of the standard and IWC endplates.

Gap between IWC and receiver.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    I filed off about 1/16". I have several builds done over the winter and will wait for some range testing to determine which end up with A5s before I stake. I can't imagine a melonite coating affecting staking much. It's just a coating as far as I know.
    I posted in a older thread that my IWC endplate was too tight on an A5 tube, only one of two end plates was tight and the one that was was only too tight on one A5 RE and not a second A5 RE. I simply filed down the tab a slight bit and slid it onto the RE. These two were the older anodized plates, melonite actually is a surface conversion not really a coating. The surface should be harder than the metal underneath. I asked Earl if the melonite process made them more difficult to stake, he said he has had no problems staking them.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    My last two lowers were Mega so for change of pace I used a Noveske Gen1 this time. Plate fits flush. Serendipity is finding two lowers I'd forgotten about while cleaning out the safe - built LRB and stripped Nov. Gen2!

Feedback Score
    Mine fits fine but i have the version that came before they started meloniting them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk