Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot a Tracking Point XS1 yesterday

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Shot a Tracking Point XS1 yesterday

One of my best friends ordered a XS1 in 338 Lapua a few months ago and took delivery of the rifle yesterday.

We took it to a local 300 yard range to get acquainted. Obviously this is too short of a range for the round, we just wanted to see how the system works.

I've shot a large variety of firearms having worked for a good sized class 3 dealer. I have to say shooting the XS1 was by far the most awesome firearms related thing I have ever done.

Open to answer any questions anyone may have.

Chris
    Last edited by CCK; 04-17-14 at 15:37.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    To afford one of those, I cannot imagine how many children your friend had to sell. Was it as easy as point and shoot as advertised? What exactly goes into the process of getting the scope to hard zero?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I'm putting in some time with a XS2 in .300 win mag this weekend, the rep stopped by earlier and gave us the rundown. I am impressed but the $ point puts it way out of my reach. It really is tag, hold down the trigger, and then when you line it up the rifle fires for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Was it as easy as point and shoot as advertised? What exactly goes into the process of getting the scope to hard zero?
    The unit comes already sighted in with a laser alignment feature that is mounted directly to the bore, after every shot the optic re-aligns itself within .01MOA in under a millisecond, so you never need to re-zero.

Last edited by VIP3R 237; 04-17-14 at 16:53.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    To afford one of those, I cannot imagine how many children your friend had to sell. Was it as easy as point and shoot as advertised? What exactly goes into the process of getting the scope to hard zero?
    It literally is like working a computer mouse and point and click. Tag the target, press and hold the trigger( light but it doesnt matter cause the rifle isn't firing then anyway), and then putting the crosshairs on the tagged dot.

The 338 had surprisingly little recoil. I'm sure partially because the rifle weights a ton.

What really struck me was the $9 a round price of proprietary ammo.

But I have to think that you could take someone who has never shot a rifle at all and if they have every played any first person shooter they would almost instantaneously know how to make 500 yard shots.

Chris
    Last edited by CCK; 04-17-14 at 17:03.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I'm putting in some time with a XS2 in .300 win mag this weekend, the rep stopped by earlier and gave us the rundown. I am impressed but the $ point puts it way out of my reach. It really is tag, hold down the trigger, and then when you line it up the rifle fires for you.

The unit comes already sighted in with a laser alignment feature that is mounted directly to the bore, after every shot the optic re-aligns itself within .01MOA in under a millisecond, so you never need to re-zero.
    I think after you tag the crosshair appears blue and not immediately red (near ready to fire) because of height over bore and distance/drop issues. I think with practice you could start making shots from tag to impact in less than a second.

As far as price goes. I agree, but stomaching the cost of the rifle is easy to me compared to the ongoing proprietary ammo costs. 200 round cases for $1800. My kitted AR was only slightly more than that.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post

Thank you for that I had not seen one up close like that yet.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I do not like this technology. The reasons are two fold. 1) Any person with enough practice to "naturally" shoot 500 yds or more will have gained an expansive knowledge about ballistics, safety, rifle mechanics, etc. 2) Any machine technology can fail, and the results of failure in this platform are completely unknown.... Someone who doesn't understand guns might do something EXCEPTIONALLY unsafe trying to remedy the issue. In short, I believe that a person should be capable and responsible for the operations that cause a bullet to come out of the gun. All of the software should be in the skull, IMHO.
    "We must surrender our attachments to government in every aspect of life. This goes for the right and the left. We need to give up our dependencies on the state, materially and spiritually. We should not look to the state to provide for us financially or psychologically.... Let us understand that it is far better to live in an imperfect world than it is to live in a despotic world ruled by people who lord over us through force and intimidation. - Dr. Ron Paul

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltaDorce View Post
    I do not like this technology. The reasons are two fold. 1) Any person with enough practice to "naturally" shoot 500 yds or more will have gained an expansive knowledge about ballistics, safety, rifle mechanics, etc. 2) Any machine technology can fail, and the results of failure in this platform are completely unknown.... Someone who doesn't understand guns might do something EXCEPTIONALLY unsafe trying to remedy the issue. In short, I believe that a person should be capable and responsible for the operations that cause a bullet to come out of the gun. All of the software should be in the skull, IMHO.
    I agree, I also think the keyboard you are typing on should only be sold with a proper government permit. I mean think of all the dangerous things an irresponsible person could type and disseminate via that new fangled world wide webby thingy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltaDorce View Post
    You're going to HATE the future.

Feedback Score
    I believe that CCK has grossly misrepresented what I have said here..... I'm not calling for gov permits! Would you let your 16 year old kid drive an Indy car? What if the car automatically avoided the walls, but still drove 200 MPH? You need to use your brain here CCK, I am not your enemy.
    "We must surrender our attachments to government in every aspect of life. This goes for the right and the left. We need to give up our dependencies on the state, materially and spiritually. We should not look to the state to provide for us financially or psychologically.... Let us understand that it is far better to live in an imperfect world than it is to live in a despotic world ruled by people who lord over us through force and intimidation. - Dr. Ron Paul

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast