Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shot a Tracking Point XS1 yesterday

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    $9.00 / round ammo - why is that?

The tech does not read wind - correct? It is still a variable that must be input - correct?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Zam_Beek View Post

The tech does not read wind - correct? It is still a variable that must be input - correct?
    That is correct.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    My guess is that .338 ammo is already expensive, and the ballistic computer in the TP XS1 is built around the ammo that is loaded by the company. Like the ACOG is geared towards a 20" barrel firing mil spec ammo, the XS1 is built for a specific cartridge. In order to get the most accuracy, the company that sells the cartridge gets to rake you over the coals for it. Honestly, probably not a big deal since anyone who can afford to buy the rifle in the first place probably isn't all that concerned about the cost of ammo.

I think the future will bring a more compact version in a semi auto Dmr/Sapr type, incorporated with optical targeting similar to what the F35 runs. Data link it with aerial platforms and other soldiers and you have total battle field awareness.
    Trijicon is already working on it. I came across this article a while back: http://www.thenewrifleman.com/the-fu...nd-kopin-corp/

Trijicon has partnered with a digital display company in hopes of putting the same kind of digital HUD tech you're talking about into a gunsight meant for general issue.

I always thought the TP rifle was cool for what it was: 1st generation tech. But it is still a niche market with limited application. What I was really interested in was how the tech evolves over the next 5, 10, 20, or 30 years. As others have said, there's no putting that toothpaste back in the tube.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Until they devise a means to read wind, one still needs to be a skilled shooter. Skilled shooters today are using LFRs, computing atmospherics, which are then factored into their ballistic software - which is tuned to their load. The technology makes a skilled shooter faster, and may or may not increase their first round hit probability. It does not turn a non LR shooter into David Tubb.

Laser guided projos on the other hand.....
    Last edited by Mo_Zam_Beek; 07-14-14 at 22:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That was a good read. Thanks for the link.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My only concern is if it ever is turned on us. Other than that it's a development. I prefer to go about it the old fashioned way as nothing is tied to me making or missing the shot but a little pride. If I were on a battlefield things would be different as I'd welcome it.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltaDorce View Post
    I do not like this technology. The reasons are two fold. 1) Any person with enough practice to "naturally" shoot 500 yds or more will have gained an expansive knowledge about ballistics, safety, rifle mechanics, etc. 2) Any machine technology can fail, and the results of failure in this platform are completely unknown.... Someone who doesn't understand guns might do something EXCEPTIONALLY unsafe trying to remedy the issue. In short, I believe that a person should be capable and responsible for the operations that cause a bullet to come out of the gun. All of the software should be in the skull, IMHO.
    I guess we should rip all the armaments from every Aircraft/Ship produced after 1947 then.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    My guess is that .338 ammo is already expensive, and the ballistic computer in the TP XS1 is built around the ammo that is loaded by the company. Like the ACOG is geared towards a 20" barrel firing mil spec ammo, the XS1 is built for a specific cartridge. In order to get the most accuracy, the company that sells the cartridge gets to rake you over the coals for it. Honestly, probably not a big deal since anyone who can afford to buy the rifle in the first place probably isn't all that concerned about the cost of ammo.

Trijicon is already working on it. I came across this article a while back:

Trijicon has partnered with a digital display company in hopes of putting the same kind of digital HUD tech you're talking about into a gunsight meant for general issue.

I always thought the TP rifle was cool for what it was: 1st generation tech. But it is still a niche market with limited application. What I was really interested in was how the tech evolves over the next 5, 10, 20, or 30 years. As others have said, there's no putting that toothpaste back in the tube.
    Not just them,

I wish these leaks would stop... that presentation carries an FOUO Document handling instruction.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is an expensive Gen1 gimmick. Glad you got to shoot it, but you are a bit too defensive. Having no feelings but being upset is contradictory.

If I am holding something capable of taking a life, I want control of the trigger. It is really that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    One of my best friends ordered a XS1 in 338 Lapua a few months ago and took delivery of the rifle yesterday.

We took it to a local 300 yard range to get acquainted. Obviously this is too short of a range for the round, we just wanted to see how the system works.

I've shot a large variety of firearms having worked for a good sized class 3 dealer. I have to say shooting the XS1 was by far the most awesome firearms related thing I have ever done.

Open to answer any questions anyone may have.

Chris
    Old post I know.. Is your friend looking to update his firmware to reach higher distances?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast