Thread: Newly configured Remy 700, First Outing

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Newly configured Remy 700, First Outing

Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, .308
    Bell & Carlson Medalist 2 stock
    Timney 510 trigger set to 3lb.
    Trijicon TR23-2, 5-20x50 glass

This was the first time out with this set up, I had zeroed at 50yds with the stock trigger but got less than stellar groups at 200yds. I installed the Timney trigger about a month ago but had not gotten it to the range until today.

50yd zero verify

7 rounds at 50 yards

200yards for group

10 rounds at 200 yards.

I'm not sure why the first two shots were dead center then the group moved right, but the two outliers were called. They were the last two shots of the group. The closer of the two was me slacking off the rear bag just as the trigger broke. The farthest(last shot) was me slapping the trigger.

The group, sans the two flyers is 1.545" well under MOA. Even with the outliers this is the best grouping from this rifle to date.

Not sniper ready yet but far better than I was able to do with the stock X-Mark trigger

I'm extremely happy with this rifle as it sits. I was going to send the action out for truing but I may wait now to see if I can start out shooting the gun.
    Last edited by luvmy40; 04-18-14 at 21:13. Reason: caliber

Feedback Score
    nice! i assume you could see the hits and know the first two were in center and they were drifting right? my guess is there was a little wind

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's possible that it was the wind but I doubt it. The wind was light and head on, maybe up to 5MPH. There wasn't really any "drift", after the first two shots the group to the right was quite random, then two hiccups. It's more likely that I just didn't have the parallax adjusted perfectly and got a slightly different weld on the first two shots.

FYI the load being shot was:
    168gn Nosler Custom Competition
    45gn Varget
    New Hornady Match Brass
    Winchester primers
    COAL 2.75
    Last edited by luvmy40; 05-11-14 at 20:17. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just curious, did you delay between each shot and if so for how long?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I used to have groups like that with my aac-sd in an HS Precision stock. First 2-3 shots would be great then the group would open up high and right, EVERY TIME. I was about to give up on it and sell it and try again, but a friend recommended that I skim bed the action. The aluminum bedding block only makes 2 points of contact at about 5 and 7 oclock on the HS Precision stock not sure about your BC. I put it off for a while but eventually got so pissed at the gun that I did it and re-torqued evenly and my groups were cut in half if not better and are VERY repeatable. I think its well worth the time and materials to skim bed your rifle. And make sure that you evenly torque the action when you reassemble.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Just curious, did you delay between each shot and if so for how long?
    I certainly didn't shoot "rapid fire", but I didn't wait long enough for the barrel to cool completely between shots by any stretch. Maybe five minutes total for the 10 shots. The barrel was quite warm but not uncomfortable to grab when I finished. I don't know how much it may have effected the group.

dmaxfireman,

I have the Devcon to skim bed the action but I haven't had the time to even consider it to date. I also wanted to give the B&C stock a chance on it's own first. I don't have even close to enough trigger time on this yet to start to diagnose the grouping. I've also been informed by another member here that Nosler CC bullets are not the best choice for this gun. He suggested 172gn SMK for precision. I still have a couple hundred of the 168 CCs so it may be a while before I can justify getting any SMK.
    Last edited by luvmy40; 04-19-14 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    There's another problem I have. I have high cheekbones so in turn my eye sits lower than the average person. Even with a 40mm objective and low rings I still needed a cheek riser to get consistent weld. Try closing your eyes and get into your shooting position and get a cheek weld that feels natural, then open your eye and see how far off you are vertically.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think I'm going to set an evening aside to skim bed this rifle. I hit the 200 yard range again this afternoon and was not happy with the results. Maybe I'm expecting too much from my skills but I shot two 10 round groups and neither were spectacular to say the least.

I took a few extra minutes to dial the parallax in as good as I could get it and worked on getting the same cheek weld every time.

No called flyers. Every shot felt good. Again, the first two shots were dead nuts and then ... well you see the and then. This was slow fire(very slow for me) I timed at least 2min. between shots and practiced dry fire with a snap cap between rounds, looking for movement on the reticle as the trigger broke. Everything looked solid and as I said the shots "felt" good.

This group was shot in about 2 minutes. No delay between shots but I did not rush the sight alignment or the trigger press. Again, the first round was in the bull's eye.
    Last edited by luvmy40; 04-20-14 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    but far better than I was able to do with the stock X-Mark trigger
    You don't realize how bad the X mark is until you try shooting paper at 200 or more yards. I can remember dry firing on the bench and watching my reticle bounce with that damned thing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You don't realize how bad the X mark is until you try shooting paper at 200 or more yards. I can remember dry firing on the bench and watching my reticle bounce with that damned thing.
    Second this.... My xmark absolutely sucked. It would never break consistently every shot felt significantly different.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast