Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 build list, opinions welcome

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

6.8 build list, opinions welcome

Unfortunately, I do not have time to assemble it very soon. However, I do at least have everything already, and would like any/all input anyone might have on the parts as that means there is still time to make changes.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 07-22-14 at 00:12.

Feedback Score
    Looks like a decent parts list to me. Do you already have a source of ammo? PSA has a decent assortment in stock now, and if you order now they might even be able to get it to you by the time you finish building that rifle. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...n/6-8-spc.html
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    Looks like a decent parts list to me. Do you already have a source of ammo? PSA has a decent assortment in stock now, and if you order now they might even be able to get it to you by the time you finish building that rifle. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...n/6-8-spc.html
    I was actually just planning on trying a few different factory offerings first (great selection available locally) first to find out what it likes and works best for me before I start buying in any quantity. Thank you for the heads up though!

Feedback Score
    I would highly recommend an ARP, Bison Armory, or BHW barrel.... Probably the best for the money..... Also bolt wise I prefer LWRC and LMT enhanced bolts but ARP superbolt is top notch too. I also think you would be surprised how nice an adjustable gas block is on this caliper even though it isn't a high recoiling round it does really make for a soft shooting rifle... I use Syrac or SLR adjustable gas blocks personally.
    Last edited by Regalkismet; 04-23-14 at 23:54.

Feedback Score
    If you are planning to put a rifle scope on in the future, I would use a BCM Mod4 charging handle to give your fingers more room.
    Buy some Hornady 110g VMax ammo. You won't hear many say this round is not accurate in their gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalkismet View Post
    I would highly recommend an ARP, Bison Armory, or BHW barrel.... Probably the best for the money..... Also bolt wise I prefer LWRC and LMT enhanced bolts but ARP superbolt is top notch too. I also think you would be surprised how nice an adjustable gas block is on this caliper even though it isn't a high recoiling round it does really make for a soft shooting rifle... I use Syrac or SLR adjustable gas blocks personally.
    I was looking to get an ARP ! 8" barrel for awhile, but they are always OOS and the other companies like Bison and BHW have leade times involve. DD had their barrels ready right then and there combined with now being 1:11 twist and the other barrel specs (nitriding, CHF, 4150 CMV etc.) and already having a good reputation as both a company and manufacturer I am comfortable with the purchase barring some bizarre abnormality that's yet to be found with their barrels.

As to the bolt/bcg, yeah, I probably skimped out a bit here (sacrilege I know). I must admit that I really also wanted to go with a superbolt from ARP, but between the superbolt also never being in stock and random complaints on the 68forums of the superbolts having performance issues, I am a bit more hesitant to buy one now. Also, after much researching, the enhanced bolts don't really seem to offer any serious benefit over a standard bolt, but come with a penalty of proprietary parts (the dual springs) that cannot be replaced on their own without buying a new complete bolt shojld you want/need to AFAIK.

As to the gas block, I was considering one, but I figured since I am using a rifle recoil system already, I 'should' already have a smooth shooter to begin with. If shooting it once it's assembled proves otherwise, I will definately revisit the thought of using an adnustable gas block. I will keep Syrac and SLR in mind as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TX0303 View Post
    If you are planning to put a rifle scope on in the future, I would use a BCM Mod4 charging handle to give your fingers more room.
    Buy some Hornady 110g VMax ammo. You won't hear many say this round is not accurate in their gun.
    I was actually probably going to go with a Raptor charging handle if I needed more to grab after installing a proper rifle scope. Does the BCM mod4's lever come out that much farther than a Raptor's making it easier to charge? I should probably google some comparison photos as I do not have the ability to manhandle either in person.

I will definately be giving the VMAX a shot as it is in ample supply locally.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 04-24-14 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I was looking to get an ARP ! 8" barrel for awhile, but they are always OOS and the other companies like Bison and BHW have leade times involve. DD had their barrels ready right then and there combined with now being 1:11 twist and the other barrel specs (nitriding, CHF, 4150 CMV etc.) and already having a good reputation as both a company and manufacturer I am comfortable with the purchase barring some bizarre abnormality that's yet to be found with their barrels.

As to the bolt/bcg, yeah, I probably skimped out a bit here (sacrilege I know). I must admit that I really also wanted to go with a superbolt from ARP, but between the superbolt also never being in stock and random complaints on the 68forums of the superbolts having performance issues, I am a bit more hesitant to buy one now. Also, after much researching, the enhanced bolts don't really seem to offer any serious benefit over a standard bolt, but come with a penalty of proprietary parts (the dual springs) that cannot be replaced on their own without buying a new complete bolt shojld you want/need to AFAIK.

As to the gas block, I was considering one, but I figured since I am using a rifle recoil system already, I 'should' already have a smooth shooter to begin with. If shooting it once it's assembled proves otherwise, I will definately revisit the thought of using an adnustable gas block. I will keep Syrac and SLR in mind as well.
    The dual Springs are available for purchase.... I keep a set in my spare parts just incase...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalkismet View Post
    The dual Springs are available for purchase.... I keep a set in my spare parts just incase...
    Would you be so kind as to provide a link to where one can get the springs on their own? I've been unable to find them on either LMT's or LWRC's sites unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Would you be so kind as to provide a link to where one can get the springs on their own? I've been unable to find them on either LMT's or LWRC's sites unfortunately.
    They are $8 for two sets and right on LWRC'S Web page:

https://www.lwrci.com/p-224-acb-extr...pring-kit.aspx

I think you may have to call to order the LMT Springs.... Either way there is no reason to replace a bolt if just extractor Springs were bad.... Even if they weren't on the Web page all you have to do is call them. I will say that I think the barrels I mentioned are worth the wait... If you are looking for precision the Bison Armory match barrels are fantastic....I use the Raptor Charging Handle too... It is awesome... Good choice.
    Last edited by Regalkismet; 04-25-14 at 04:41.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast