Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 gen 2

Feedback Score

Glock 19 gen 2

Ok I know I posted about moving away from Glock, But I actually found a hard to find glock 19 gen 2. with Austrian markings too, so I snatched up. Judging buy the serial # on the bbl, the prefix is DR with 3 digits, along with the Austrian proof markings and ZTT from what I gathered it was manufactured in 1988.
    and maybe hard to find too, Anyway, I noticed it has pre "upgrade parts"
    which I read about was a 6 point upgrade. Anyway as you can guess, Where can I get these upgrade parts? I was able to buy a few on glockparts.net I don't want to send into glock. as they'll just replace the slide
    and new parts and bring back brass to face. I was wandering If I should just put in newer parts or is there "new old Parts" to replace with I like to keep the original recoil spring assembly , but they don't seem to replace the old ones with removable springs. Also there is a Pre EH trigger bar on glockparts.net they sell, but Is that the right upgrade? Should I just go with newer parts?, If anyone can give me feed back Id appreciate it sorry for the long drawn out post
    IMG_20140411_171916_845.jpg

IMG_20140411_173208_244.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillygunguy; 04-19-14 at 20:41.
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You should Glock a call. I'm pretty sure they will just send you the upgrade parts if you give a serial number. And I'm not a hundred percent, but I don't believe brass to the face would be an issue, as the slides with straight cut at the extractor cannot use the late Gen3/Gen4 extractor.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've been down this road. A year or so ago i bought a proof-maked KMxxx serial number that never had the upgrade. If i had to do it all over, i'd just buy the parts i need from a parts retailer.

Calling Glock will only verify if your serial number has ever been sent the (free) parts upgrade. If your number is clean, they will advise you to go see a Certified Glock Armorer, and have them order the parts for you. Glock will not send them to anyone other than a Glock armorer.

Like you, i didn't want a new extraction BTF system. I wanted an old Gen 2 for bomb-proof reliability and predictable extraction/ejection patterns, so i was looking to mix in some new safety parts and keep the old bearing/rod/extractor.

I had a nightmare of an experience getting the 'free' parts.. Glock certified armorers will want to charge for the 'parts replacement labor', so good luck finding one that will just hand them over to you. I didn't want to pay for something i can do myself, and i didn't want to buy a $45 striker.... i was too cheap, but i learned my lesson. Besides, all i wound up using from the upgrade kit was the striker and firing pin safety + spring. Since it came with an unknown round-count, i went bought all new springs (frame, bearing, recoil), a Gen4 DOT connector (my personal favorite), and new G17 trigger bar. I also got a set Ameriglo Defoor sights and Vickers slide & mag release too.

My last nugget of advise (since it's old & used)... is to clean the shit of the slide. Literally, mine was filthy. Use regular and long wood handled q-tips to pull out all of the gunk hiding down your striker and bearing rod channels, along with the extractor cavity. Once clean, rinse with alcohol, do not lube any of those areas when finished. You may already have done that, but just in case, i thought i'd mention that too.

I hope that helps.

~OG
    Last edited by OldGreg; 04-20-14 at 00:03. Reason: corrections

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My understanding is that since the "upgrade" was the result of a NY cop's duty 19 slam-firing when chambered, Glock only gives the free "upgrade" if the armorer keeps all the old parts. Unfortunately they are some of the most expensive parts. But, if you want to keep the old ones, you have to buy new ones and do it yourself. I picked up a Dec. 1990 17 and just replaced all the internals--the only original parts are the frame, barrel, slide, and extractor, since it is cast vs. MIM. Overkill? Maybe... At the bare minimum I'd upgrade the striker/striker safety plunger, trigger housing, and all the springs.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses, That last picture is with my gen 3 which gives me btf, I was thinking of swaping out the parts that are needed for the upgrade, EXCEPT the extractor, just not sure if they would all fit being its 26 years old
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    I had a post-upgrade 19 I bought back in 92. BTF was never an issue.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Last edited by walkin' trails; 04-20-14 at 07:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGreg View Post
    I've been down this road. A year or so ago i bought a proof-maked KMxxx serial number that never had the upgrade. If i had to do it all over, i'd just buy the parts i need from a parts retailer.

Calling Glock will only verify if your serial number has ever been sent the (free) parts upgrade. If your number is clean, they will advise you to go see a Certified Glock Armorer, and have them order the parts for you. Glock will not send them to anyone other than a Glock armorer.

Like you, i didn't want a new extraction BTF system. I wanted an old Gen 2 for bomb-proof reliability and predictable extraction/ejection patterns, so i was looking to mix in some new safety parts and keep the old bearing/rod/extractor.

I had a nightmare of an experience getting the 'free' parts.. Glock certified armorers will want to charge for the 'parts replacement labor', so good luck finding one that will just hand them over to you. I didn't want to pay for something i can do myself, and i didn't want to buy a $45 striker.... i was too cheap, but i learned my lesson. Besides, all i wound up using from the upgrade kit was the striker and firing pin safety + spring. Since it came with an unknown round-count, i went bought all new springs (frame, bearing, recoil), a Gen4 DOT connector (my personal favorite), and new G17 trigger bar. I also got a set Ameriglo Defoor sights and Vickers slide & mag release too.

My last nugget of advise (since it's old & used)... is to clean the shit of the slide. Literally, mine was filthy. Use regular and long wood handled q-tips to pull out all of the gunk hiding down your striker and bearing rod channels, along with the extractor cavity. Once clean, rinse with alcohol, do not lube any of those areas when finished. You may already have done that, but just in case, i thought i'd mention that too.

I hope that helps.

~OG
    Thanks There was a lot of gunk built up so definitely gotta clean, btw, I can't seem to get the damn firing pin safety to fall free from the slide, any ideas on how to remedy this?
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    You should Glock a call. I'm pretty sure they will just send you the upgrade parts if you give a serial number. And I'm not a hundred percent, but I don't believe brass to the face would be an issue, as the slides with straight cut at the extractor cannot use the late Gen3/Gen4 extractor.
    I get that, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts Glock in thier infinite wisdow will want me to send it in so they can slap on a brand new slide, and I can get slapped in the face with brass.
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygunguy View Post
    Thanks There was a lot of gunk built up so definitely gotta clean, btw, I can't seem to get the damn firing pin safety to fall free from the slide, any ideas on how to remedy this?
    In case you don't know, you have to remove the extractor first. If it's still stuck, the it's probably pretty well gunked up. Soaking it in some cleaner would help, but like others have said, make sure the slide is dry before reassembling.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygunguy View Post
    Thanks for the responses, That last picture is with my gen 3 which gives me btf, I was thinking of swaping out the parts that are needed for the upgrade, EXCEPT the extractor, just not sure if they would all fit being its 26 years old
    The 6PU kit won't have all of the proper parts to go into your Gen3, and those that do come included won't help address any BTF issues.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast