Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biometric handgun safe?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Biometric handgun safe?

I didn't know where to put this question so I'm asking here. If this isn't the right place please move it for me.

Can anyone recommend me a good biometric handgun safe? I'm asking for a friend who's about to have his first child and has decided to get a handgun safe for his only gun. I have zero experiance with biometric safes so I told him I would ask here and try and get some first hand feedback so he can make a good buy. His budget is $150 and reliability is his #1 priority. Is there anything in this price range that's quality? It doesn't need to be some monster bulletproof safe that needs to survive a 5 alarm fire or a nuclear blast, it just needs to keep out kids. Any suggestions? I may be able to get him to budge a little on the budget but more than $200 is absolutely out of his range, the cheaper the better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 04-20-14 at 01:20.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Been thinking of mounting one in the truck for while I'm at work but I think the cold would sap the batteries thus nullifyimg the keyless entry.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Does it have to be bio-metric? A simple box like this might serve his purpose for 1/3 his budget. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sent...59?N=626381016
    Where you locate is as important as how you open it. A simple lock box secured to the top shelf of a closet will probably buy your friend 4-5 years. GH

Feedback Score

Biometric handgun safe?

I would avoid the "Stack on" safes, they have a serious vulnerability and are easily defeated. (Not that others are all that more secure, anything around this $100 price point is going to be cheaply made).
    Also the key override is easily picked open with a paper clip.

Remember "biometric" does _not_ make a more secure safe
    , it's just more convenient for you to open. The real security is the strength of the container and locking mechanism, which on many of these is only plastic and easily defeated.

Look on YouTube , there is a video where the StackOn safes are broken-into by just pressing hard on the fingerprint sensor. It's only plastic and I breaks thru the plastic bezel, then you can reach around inside to open the latch. Done in 5 seconds.

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqdb4UNK9Bc
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 04-20-14 at 06:55.

Feedback Score
    I had one from GunVault. It was awful. Returned it for a push button that is flawless. The bio safe just was not reliable enough to count on in an emergency. I'd stick with a regular non biometric model.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have this one and like it. Not biometric. Uses motorized bolts, not a solenoid like in the video above.

BARSKA Digital Keypad Safe by Barska http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSB5S6/..._rT8utb01G91DW

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by slybarman; 04-20-14 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    Ive had a Patriot 24 gun safe for 5 years. Its been trouble free, heres a link to their Biometric safe.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/Biometric...fe-_p_592.html
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed – where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Member:VCDL,GOA,NRA,NSSF,Oathkeepers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last Christmas, the wife got me this one from Barska:
    http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Opening...biometric+safe

I have to admit to being a little bit of a luddite for items that require reliability, however, it has proven to work very well so far. It has never failed to open for me if I present my fingerprint at the correct time. One time, I was very quick across the pad and it sat there flashing until I actually pressed my finger on the reader. Other than that zero problems.

I did take some proactive steps (based on a recommendation from a friend). Each of my index fingers has at least five scans stored. My other fingers and thumbs have at least one scan stored.

My personal preference has been for "tactile" combo lock boxes, but biometric has proven a better fit for both me and wife.

Chubbs

Feedback Score
    My personal preference is an all mechanical push button lock on a quick access handgun safe. They are proven reliable, durable and very quick to open in the dark just by feel. Most are used on boxes made of thicker steel than the typical electronic ones. They will last you a long time (maybe a lifetime) so they tend to be a little more expensive. Oh, and if you do wear a lock out, just buy a replacement lock. You can't do that with ANY of the electronic ones that I know of.

I would save a little longer and buy quality so you only buy it once, but that's just me. There are several brands available depending on features, but will be hard to stay under $200.00. It will be money well spent in the long haul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast