Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biometric handgun safe?

Feedback Score
    Without a doubt, you want to look at the Barska. Barska uses a motor driven bar system that makes them immune to all those break in schemes you see on YouTube. It opens every time, is fast, and can be opened in complete darkness. No need to fumble with cryptic button combinations when in a hurry.

We first used the Fort Knox because of all the wonderfulness we read about then, but real situation practice proved the button system doesn't work well in the dark in near panic. Plus we were able to get it open within 20 minutes using a combination checklist off the web. Having kids in the house with web access made it useless for keeping them out.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I own a Gunvault brand biometric safe. I cannot urge your friend strongly enough against this safe. I have had to replace one, and the replacement has constantly given me trouble. Recently I was having problems with the safe opening and called customer service. I was told that I must keep a battery with "at least" five years "left" until expiration. It did not matter that I have the back up power cord plugged in at all times. If you do not have very fresh batteries then the safe fails to open at least 50% of the time on the first try. It also will not open if you have recently taken a shower or washed your hands. I will be replacing mine soon. They are not reliable enough for me.

Feedback Score
    Electronics suck. The recent EMP fear and still people think electronic thingies are groooovy.

Feedback Score
    True, an EMP could cause trouble. Most people would rather enjoy the modern conveniences technology has to offer. When and if the dreaded EMP hits, we can then just use the bypass key.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by natsb View Post
    We first used the Fort Knox because of all the wonderfulness we read about then, but real situation practice proved the button system doesn't work well in the dark in near panic. Plus we were able to get it open within 20 minutes using a combination checklist off the web. Having kids in the house with web access made it useless for keeping them out.
    I have heard that a few times and I would say that 1084 possible combinations on the pushbutton mechanical locks are just not that many when you have kids (teens maybe?) that don't respect your things. Where there is a will there's a way, right?

While I don't usually like a backup key because it does give another access point, I have looked at offering a dual purpose key option that might enhance security enough for some people to offset having that additional access point available.

With the key in one position, it is essentially a deadbolt. When you enter the correct combination the pushbutton lock still won't open. The knob simply rotates through the built in clutch without being able to retract the bolt. Useful if you keep an HD gun in there all the time. Just engage the deadbolt when you leave the house in the morning and disengage (neutral position) when you get home or go to bed.

In neutral, there is no function of the key lock. In the third position, it opens the door as backup key.

DeadboltBackupSmall.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I have heard that a few times and I would say that 1084 possible combinations on the pushbutton mechanical locks are just not that many when you have kids (teens maybe?) that don't respect your things. Where there is a will there's a way, right?

While I don't usually like a backup key because it does give another access point, I have looked at offering a dual purpose key option that might enhance security enough for some people to offset having that additional access point available.

With the key in one position, it is essentially a deadbolt. When you enter the correct combination the pushbutton lock still won't open. The knob simply rotates through the built in clutch without being able to retract the bolt. Useful if you keep an HD gun in there all the time. Just engage the deadbolt when you leave the house in the morning and disengage (neutral position) when you get home or go to bed.

In neutral, there is no function of the key lock. In the third position, it opens the door as backup key.

DeadboltBackupSmall.jpg
    Agreed. A better backup system is needed. While I appreciate that the keyhole on the Barksa is hidden and requires an Allen wrench to access, would feel better with something more complex. Something as simple as needing two keys at once would seem to go a long way. But knowing me, I would probably just whine about the extra cost.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'll be steering him towards a Barska as they seem most reliable. Biometric isn't an absolute requirement but it would be nice to find one that is in his price range.

Feedback Score
    I don't trust the biometerics. Plus, there is the battery issue. I have a Ft. Knox (no affiliation) pistol safe and love it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    I don't trust the biometerics. Plus, there is the battery issue. I have a Ft. Knox (no affiliation) pistol safe and love it.
    I don't trust them either. It's true that you have many more possible combinations on the electronic locks, but you also have to rely on them operating properly and not having a dead battery just when you need it. Same for biometrics along with what the acceptable failure rate is and various skin conditions.

There is always a trade off that one has to accept. ALL electronic safes have to have a backup key. Sooner or later you will need to use it and hopefully it's not in the middle of the night.

Also, what are the lock bodies/scanners made of, plastic, rubber? How secure are those components from manipulation? I know of one brand that you just need to pull off the glued on pad and expose holes to get to the lock and open it with a small wire rod. When done, just put the rubber pad back and close the safe. No one would even know.

Again, you just have to weigh out the good and bad and what is acceptable for you on any handgun safe. For me, I have plenty of gadgets to play with, but none that my life might depend on. I choose to trust myself being able to open a lock rather than depend on the electronics to do it for me.

Feedback Score
    I had an electronic handgun safe go bad on me. I have gone with a vline with a mechanical lock for my bedside handgun. It is slightly more difficult to use in the dark, but I practiced unlocking it in total darkness by feel only until I was proficient with it.

I do use a battery operated safe for my carry pistol. When I am done for the day, I place the pistol in it. Just this weekend, it failed to unlock. Why - because I forgot to change the the batteries on Jan 1st along with all the other battery operated stuff in the house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast