Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-workout Powder - anyone use?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Unapproved Stimulant Found in Dozen of Dietary Supplements

Researchers warned that compound, often listed on labels as AMP Citrate, is a close chemical cousin of DMAA which is a stimulant the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has previously declared as an illegal ingredient because it can be potentially dangerous to humans.

Study lead author Pieter Cohen, from Harvard Medical School and the Cambridge Health Alliance in Massachusetts, they discovered the synthetic stimulant listed on dietary supplement ingredient labels under a variety of names including AMP Citrate.

The researchers tested 14 products listing AMP Citrate, 4-amino-2-methylpentane citrate or some of the other chemical names on their labels.

http://www.betawired.com/unapproved-...ements/147298/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Based on the info here I decided to try some Fein. Good stuff I'd say. I dropped a packet in some OJ on the way to the gym this morning and was awake PDQ. I'm impressed because it takes one hell of a lot more coffee/tea/energy drink to get the same effect with me. The lack of effect is the primary reason I don't waste my money on coffee...

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I really like the Advocare Spark, not the stuff in the packets but the stuff from the tub. I have some of both. The same amount from a packet vs the tub has big differences. The tub seems to have way more "kick". I only use the tub if I'm heading to the gym or before I do any training. The packets are just when I need a mild pick me up.

Works for me, may not work for everyone.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    I really like the Advocare Spark, not the stuff in the packets but the stuff from the tub. I have some of both. The same amount from a packet vs the tub has big differences. The tub seems to have way more "kick". I only use the tub if I'm heading to the gym or before I do any training. The packets are just when I need a mild pick me up.

Works for me, may not work for everyone.
    Very typical MLM product, some vites you can get from a multi, some caffeine (source of the "kick"), under dosed stuff (10mg of carnitine tartrate LOL...) , and synthetic sweetener (if you care about such things) for a price far higher than you'd pay if not via an MLM.

The label:

http://www.advocare.com/products/images/pdf/A2094.pdf
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Still utilizing the roll-your-own pre-workout with good results.

I've tried a few other pre-workout powders, and I keep coming back to this mix as it seems to yield superior results (in my subjective opinion). This is based on Will Brink's recipe, although I've added a couple things.

My current mix:

2.5* grams Beta Alanine (Carnosyn)
    5 grams Acetyl L-Carnitine
    5 grams Acetyl L-Tyrosine
    7 grams Citrulline Malate (1:1)
    1 tsp. BCAA (Optimum Nutrition)
    200-300 mg caffeine (depends on the day/workout type/etc.)
    1 flavor packet (Crystal Light or similar)

Shake everything up in 20 - 26 oz. of water. I try to give it some time to go into solution, maybe 15 min, and start drinking it about 1hr. pre-workout.

* the other 2.5 grams of Beta-Alanine is taken with my post-workout shake.
    Last edited by dth4lf; 07-29-15 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Costco had c4 on sale again..... I turn into Skeletor, conqueror of worlds on that chit..... I don't know how is even legal.....lol.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Before weights? Always. Before cardio? Wouldn't really be all that beneficial, and I'm not sure I'd want that stress on my heart anyway
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    I don't hit the pre-workout (I use MusclePharm's Assault) only on lifting days. I don't touch it on cardio day. Pretty sure I would die.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Pre workout? 20g of Carbs and 20g of Protein 45min-30min before workout has always been far better for my performance than any caffeine and yohimbine powder mix. Combine that with a similar snack post workout and recovery is great as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good thread. Thanks for the thoughtful input Will. I've been taking Barbell Medicine's PeriRX for awhile after getting tired of making the homemade version. It's a bit pricier than the roll your own version, but the ingredients look similar:

- 8 grams of muscle-building Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s) in a 2:1:1 ratio (Leucine:Isoleucine:Valine)
    - 2.5 grams of Creatine Monohydrate
    - 3.2 grams beta alanine
    - 4 grams of Citrulline Malate
    - 1.5 grams of HMB
    - 1000mg of Betaine Anhydrous
    - 800mg sodium

I've found it helps me recover well, and feels "good" during a workout.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast