Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul M-LOK

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A lot of ppl hate/hated the keymod. Now another company comes out with something else, that addresses a lot of the critics concerns....and ppl complain?

What's wrong with variety? This sounds like the same ppl that complain and the lack of variety polymer company's colors, but also complain about the over abundance of muzzle devices...

I withhold judgment

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    A lot of ppl hate/hated the keymod. Now another company comes out with something else, that addresses a lot of the critics concerns....and ppl complain?

What's wrong with variety? This sounds like the same ppl that complain and the lack of variety polymer company's colors, but also complain about the over abundance of muzzle devices...

I withhold judgment
    Really? What concerns other than, "eww, it looks like shelving..."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    A manufacturer would need to manufacture a m-lok rail with weight, lock up and attachment points (cardinal directions as well) similar in quality to the KMR for a significantly cheaper price (and I say significantly cheaper because KMR/Keymod is off to a huge head start) for this to be competitive. I'm sure it is possible, but I don't see it happening, at least in a timely manner.

Agreed, but I beleive Magpul is coming out with a new polymer handguard that will be way less, cant speak for other manufactures though. There basically aiming to own the low cost KISS market like they did when the MOE came out imo, and I am all for it.
    Last edited by jukeboxx13; 04-24-14 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    From what I have gathered, Magpul came up with this design because they did not find other attachment methods that worked well with the MOE product line and they were looking at updating the MOE product line. So they made the M Loc for their own products. If they end up being the only company that makes and sells M Loc parts it doesn't matter. They are a huge supplier of OEM parts to just about everyone that makes a rifle. They will phase out the old MOE parts and it will be replaced by this. It will be just like the regular MOE parts but just an updated version since the industry and consumers are moving to direct attach accessories.

Now if other companies adopt the system for reasons that have been outlined in this thread, it just icing on the cake. As Geissele has stated on TOS, an SMR with M Lok is cheaper to produce than a Keymod SMR by retail price of $50. If this system does reduce cost to the end consumer, by reducing manufacturing cost, what do you think the consumer is going to buy?
    Last edited by 351322; 04-24-14 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 351322 View Post
    From what I have gathered, Magpul came up with this design because they did not find other attachment methods that worked well with the MOE product line and they were looking at updating the MOE product line. So they made the M Loc for their own products. If they end up being the only company that makes and sells M Loc parts it doesn't matter. They are a huge supplier of OEM parts to just about everyone that makes a rifle. They will phase out the old MOE parts and it will be replaced by this. It will be just like the regular MOE parts but just an updated version since the industry and consumers are moving to direct attach accessories.

Now if other companies adopt the system for reasons that have been outlined in this thread, it just icing on the cake. As Geissele has stated on TOS, an SMR with M Lok is cheaper to produce than a Keymod SMR by retail price of $50. If this system does reduce cost to the end consumer, by reducing manufacturing cost, what do you think the consumer is going to buy?
    I get the feeling that Magpul had already been working with many manufacturers to produce MLOK before this announcement, and that is part of the decision. Noted that they are making the licensing no-fee. Also noted that Geisselle appears to already be at least designing them, and MI says they are too. IIRC correctly, I saw someone on facebook I believe from Samson say they are as well.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djegators View Post
    I get the feeling that Magpul had already been working with many manufacturers to produce MLOK before this announcement, and that is part of the decision. Noted that they are making the licensing no-fee. Also noted that Geisselle appears to already be at least designing them, and MI says they are too. IIRC correctly, I saw someone on facebook I believe from Samson say they are as well.
    SPQR476 stated this earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    It wasn't just designed for polymer. That was a primary consideration, and was what started us down this path, but it's a LOT faster and easier to manufacture and QC in metal, it doesn't leave .020" edges, the nuts are easy to make, and it's crazy strong, among other benefits. We didn't just test keymod vs M-LOK in polymer. Everything we did in polymer, we did in metal.

Starting tomorrow at NRA, we'll release the continuously growing list of metal hand guard and accessory manufacturers who have committed to making M-LOK products, and it's not a short list. Geissele Automatics was onboard first and we used the SMR in testing, but we started the industry release a few days prior to the public release, and a lot of great manufacturers were sold on the system immediately after seeing it. There will be both metal and polymer direct-mount accessories available very soon, from multiple sources.
    It's been done, M Lok is here and it is not going anywhere. Like I said, Magpul will still keep it around on their products, even if no one else does.
    Last edited by 351322; 04-24-14 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanCrothers View Post
    I'm glad they aren't just following the masses and putting out keymod because everyone else is. Keymod systems and accessories are on the verge of an almost guaranteed saturated keymod market within a year to date. If I was Magpul I wouldn't want to go that route either just to contend for a small percentage of a non-standardized market. Instead it looks like they're creating/adopting a system based on similar ideals that looks to offer the potential for a few advantages over keymod. Like you mentioned, their manufacturing capabilities focused on a new system could mean a homerun for them if it is an effective system. The price point will be key here and I have no doubt it'll be very competitive based on who we are talking about here. Looking forward to watching this pan out. Of course buyers of the previous latest and greatest are sure to have bunched panties over this though so hopefully this thread can stay on track with updates.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    As a consumer you want a market saturation, more options and better pricing. Now as a manufacturer? Nope.

ETA: None of this is to say that there isn't a market for more than one system, just not a dozen. It would be a big step if some were backwards compatible.
    Depends on the Manufacturer

If you are an industry leader you can create your own path and others will follow. Everyone knows Magpul makes great products and does their homework a.k.a. R&D (which is possibly why the AK Pmags G2 are taking a while) and that is a good thing.

I believe this is a good move for Magpul to offer another option for the consumer instead of just jumping into the KM bandwagon. By offering another rail mounting option, the consumer will have more choices, and more choices means more manufacturer competition, and as a result it will drive prices lower.

The HD-Dvd/Bluray comparison is also inaccurate; we are not talking about standardizing here. M-LOK is offering another option for consumers and at the same time updating their MOE rail mounting system. Its good to see that consumers can choose whether they want to stick with quadrails, Keymod, or try the new M-Lok.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wake.joe View Post
    I could not keep the light mount tight on my nsr rail.

Bought a surefire x300 so I wouldn't have to deal with Keymod hardware anymore.

NSR ate out the plastic of the X300 and I suspect it will be loose on my glock now.

Flip side, I love the profile of the handguard and if the finish didn't make the top rail so thick, I would love the texture.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Should be fine on your flock. You have to swap mounts anyways on the light.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    I believe this is a good move for Magpul to offer another option for the consumer instead of just jumping into the KM bandwagon. By offering another rail mounting option, the consumer will have more choices, and more choices means more manufacturer competition, and as a result it will drive prices lower.

The HD-Dvd/Bluray comparison is also inaccurate; we are not talking about standardizing here. M-LOK is offering another option for consumers and at the same time updating their MOE rail mounting system. Its good to see that consumers can choose whether they want to stick with quadrails, Keymod, or try the new M-Lok.

It seems that is exactly what the aim is, otherwise this whole marketing campaign for everyone to jump on the M-Lok bandwagon would not be here and we would just have an inline MOE update. The clear implication of SPQR476's last post is the claim that keymod is inferior to M-Lok.

Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    It wasn't just designed for polymer. That was a primary consideration, and was what started us down this path, but it's a LOT faster and easier to manufacture and QC in metal, it doesn't leave .020" edges, the nuts are easy to make, and it's crazy strong, among other benefits. We didn't just test keymod vs M-LOK in polymer. Everything we did in polymer, we did in metal.

Starting tomorrow at NRA, we'll release the continuously growing list of metal hand guard and accessory manufacturers who have committed to making M-LOK products, and it's not a short list. Geissele Automatics was onboard first and we used the SMR in testing, but we started the industry release a few days prior to the public release, and a lot of great manufacturers were sold on the system immediately after seeing it. There will be both metal and polymer direct-mount accessories available very soon, from multiple sources.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Magpul M-LOK

[QUOTE=SPQR476;1901726

Starting tomorrow at NRA, we'll release the continuously growing list of metal hand guard and accessory manufacturers who have committed to making M-LOK products[/QUOTE]

Can anyone announce who these manufactures are that are making MLOK products for those of us who didn't get to attend today?
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 04-25-14 at 20:38.

Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast