Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha rail on precision build

Feedback Score

Alpha rail on precision build

I am curious if there would be a loss of accuracy with the troy alpha on a precision spr. The reason I ask is because I own a 13" alpha rail and was thinking of using is on my new precision build. The parts I've ordered is vltor mur 1a upper with a rainier 18 spr rifle length gas ultra match barrel. I want to make this as accurate as possible so I don't mind ordering a new rail but if the alpha rail won't cause any accuracy issues then I'll use it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As long as it is free-floated and isn't hitting anything, you will be fine. Sometimes gas blocks hit inside the rail when the barrel whips during firing.

If this is a temporary part, I would fork over the $$ now for what you really want as changing parts will cause ammo to react differently afterwards. I, like you, had a rail sitting in my parts bin that I used to complete a build. I finally got the new rail I originally wanted for my precision build and the handload recipe that shot lights out before didn't shoot as consistently after (as I expected).
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 04-22-14 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    I was kind of worried about the ridgidity of the troy rail. It works great on my 16" carbine but I think on a precision gun it might have to much flex or chance to hit the gas block and have an affect on accuracy. I might just get a 12" dd lite rail I think it might be a little more ridgid.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My 15 inch alpha does not, ever, touch my lopro gas block at rifle length.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wake.joe; 04-23-14 at 01:00.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowens677 View Post
    I was kind of worried about the ridgidity of the troy rail. It works great on my 16" carbine but I think on a precision gun it might have to much flex or chance to hit the gas block and have an affect on accuracy. I might just get a 12" dd lite rail I think it might be a little more ridgid.
    Thought about an NSR or BCM KMR? My NSR never touches the GB on my precision build, plus it's pretty dang light. And I will be adding a KMR to the fleet soon, which has even more room inside around the GB area.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As stated.. as long as the GB isn't close enought that barrel flex with hit the hand guard... it'll be fine.

We took the KMR with a 14.5 ELW out to 1050 yards with a Nightforce and Hot 77 SMK loads.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Ya the BCM KMR looks like a nice offering and NSR looks sweet too. I own a 16" Larue predatAR, and a delton 16" carbine length with the troy alpha rail, maybe I'll just keep the delton upper with the alpha rail in it and buy a different handguard like OnyxZ said. I would hate to dial in the load and then start over after changing handguards.
    Just have to decide if I want to go old school, mk12 quad rail style or new school,long handguard style, like I already own.

Feedback Score
    OP, I think you'll like what that Rainier barrel does.

Feedback Score
    Broke down and bought the 15" geissele smr mk1. Can't wait to see how she will shoot!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used a 13" Alpha rail with my 18" WAS rifle length gas barrel and it is fine. It does leave the front half of the gas block exposed which may bother some. Works fine for me.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast