View Poll Results: Which J-Frame?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 340 M&P

2 8.33%
  • 442 No-Lock

22 91.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a purchase decision (j-frame)

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yup, Michael de Bethencourt is on my list of gentlemen to seek wheelgun training from. Never heard anything less than "awesome" about his J-frame training.

Claude Werner is another person I would check out as well. He's a member here, by the way. He's also got a blog you can subscribe to that has a lot of very good data and analysis.

Feedback Score
    442 no lock is a no brainer, my EDC is a 637-2 that I removed the lock from, did a trigger/action job and changed the grips out for desantis clipgrips along with bobbing the hammer. I would of gotten the 442 originally but couldn't pass up the deal on my 637. My only suggestion would be to go for the 642 as I prefer stainless finishes but to each their own.

Oh, if you do end up with the clip grips... Do yourself a favor and put some bike tire innertube over it.

My 637 on the left and my dads 638 on the right. Both are used as EDC's.
    Last edited by Trifecta; 04-23-14 at 02:27.

Feedback Score
    It is better to buy 2, 442 or 642 on sale than 1 of the fancy J frames. Beat the, bang them, slam them on the floor ,for up close and personal work you can't ask for more.

Feedback Score
    I didn't vote because I prefer the stainless finish of the 642.

It may be my imagination, but when I shot the 340 I could swear the trigger was smoother. I also like the integral laser.

I may get one of those at some point.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    I would definitely get the CT grip. So the 442 may be better for you especially if you're not worried about .357 capability.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you look around, you can find the 442 PRO at very good prices. You might or might not find the moon clips appealling, but you will also get the stainless cylinder. Price difference I have seen for the upgrade has been negligable.

Chubbs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't really care for stainless, but it's not a deal breaker. All things being equal, I would just rather have a 442 to a 642. However an exposed hammers is a no-go for me and what I want this revolver for. I would consider a 638 if I found a screaming deal on one, but I'm pretty sure they only make them with the lock which I really don't want. Thanks though for the replies.

The plan is that the gun will be carried in a pocket holster, Alessi ankle holster, or AIWB in a Dark Star Gear kydex depending.

I like the idea of a the 442 PRO and the full moon clips, but they are pretty difficult to find and when I have found them the dealers are asking full MSRP. I couldn't really see carrying a reload in a moon clip on my person in the summer (planning on a speed strip then), but the winter it might work. Still there are plenty of smiths who do the moon clip conversion for a pretty reasonable fee, so it might be an after thought.

CTC grips will be added immediately.

Feedback Score
    I can tell you like the 340 better although the majority of us would choose the 442 (I have a 642). At the end of the day it is your money and you are the only person you need to please so follow your heart.

Feedback Score
    I am an admitted fan of the 442, but there is absolutely no way to blow this call. Whichever way you go you will be happy. With that said, I have regretted not buying what I truly wanted and having to settle. Buy the one you want. They will make more Glocks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, I know I can get a Glock at any point in the future really. I am wanting either a 17 or a 34 for SSP IDPA, but I could just run my Colt CCG 1911 in CDP this summer and be pretty happy.

I was pretty set on getting the 442 No Lock, 500 rounds of 38 practice ammo, a good pocket holster and a good AIWB holster, some speed loaders and call it a day. I just saw someone in my area selling a lightly used 340 M&P for $700 on Armslist. Which is damn tempting...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast