Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help deciding new EDC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I love my Benchmade knives. I don't have that particular knife but I have more than a few Axis Locks and they are all well worth the money I paid for them. I got all of them on sale over the years at significantly lower than MSRP.

I also have the PM2 and have to say that it is faster, lighter, sharper and more appealing in almost every way than any of my Benchmades. If it felt a little bit beefier in the hand(but then there goes the light weight) I would say it was the better blade hands down. As it is it is the far better value, IMHO. $122.00 is a steal for that knife.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I think Osborne is one of my favorite knife designers working with/for Benchmade and Benchmade is easily one of my favoritest knife makers if not my most favoritest knife maker.

So I'd go with the 940. And the 940 is the closest knife they currently make to my most favorite Benchmade-Osborne, the 930 "Kulgera". If only they'd do the 940 with black-and-blue G10....

(I may have just talked myself into buying the 810-1401. Dammit.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pm2 is my favorite folder of all time, and I have dozens from spyderco, benchmade, microtech, cold steel, and a few more. Fantastic blade geometry, fantastic ergonomics, fantastic build quality, fantastic materials, what's not to like?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    thanks for the 411

on that 940-01, i dont care much for the carbon fiber, but the steel interests me. what is different or better about the s90v over s30v?
    S90V is suppose to have much better wear-resistance compared to S30V, at the expense of corrosion resistance (toughness is about the same). I believe S90V is about as corrosion resistant as 440C, so it's still definitely a stainless steel, just not as resistant as CPM 154 or S30V. The insane wear-resistance also means that sharpening can be a real bitch if you let it dull down all the way, although it should be way harder to dull in the first place. This is all dependent on the heat treatment, too, which is going to depend from maker to maker, since they'll have different heat treatments. Ultimately, most people probably wouldn't see much difference between the two, if they don't use their knives often... though whether M4C's demographics reflect "most people" is up for debate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I opted for the Benchmade 940 in s30v. Mostly because it came to $112 shipped after discounts. Thanks Default!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Damn thats awesome! ^^^ conrats!
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good deal on a great knife. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    I opted for the Benchmade 940 in s30v. Mostly because it came to $112 shipped after discounts. Thanks Default!
    No problem. I doubt it's your thing, but if you ever do get interested in swapping out those green aluminum handles, you can get aftermarket ones:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...5#post13118975

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    my advice is try to get a tanto for a blade you plan to use regularly. Much more convenient to keep that blade sharp when you only have two edges to keep sharp. My favorite knife is the mini barrage tanto from benchmade.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    No problem. I doubt it's your thing, but if you ever do get interested in swapping out those green aluminum handles, you can get aftermarket ones:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...5#post13118975

Black and blue G10. You glorious bastard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast