Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Advice and Input on RMR Sight on my Glock 34

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)

Looking for Advice and Input on RMR Sight on my Glock 34

I'm seriously considering putting an RMR on my Glock 34. I've been really impressed by the various operators and instructors who are singing the praise of the RMR system, but I do have a number of questions, and before I put another $700 into my $600 Glock, I've got some questions I'd appreciate the collective wisdom here about.

(1) I'm looking at the Trijicon RMR with the 3.5 MOA. I've read articles by people using the 6 MOA RMR who have indicated that while it is great for quicker acquisition and shooting at targets out at some distance, for close in shooting, it is not very useful and may even be a bit of a hindrance. Thoughts on that?

(2) Everything I'm reading points to the Trijicon RMR as still being the best choice. True? Your experirences?

(3) How long did it take for the guys using the RMR to get used to how to operate it properly. If I understand what I'm studying correctly, and based on my limited use of one on some friend's handguns, the key is to get the pistol quickly up to your eye while keeping the target in focus and pressing the trigger the moment the dot is on target. Somewhat the same as using a red dot on a rifle. I know you are NOT supposed to look at or focus on the dot or the pistol's front post any longer. Just curious how long it took you to get a hang of it.

(4) I've read that the RMR is good for aging eyes. My eyes are actually quite good. I had laser surgery on my eyes and my right eye (dominant eye), is my distance eye, which has caused me a bit of problem trying to focus on that front post. Observations?

(5) What outfit would you recommend for a custom milling of my Glock frame? I understand that is the best way to go, to get the optic settle down as low as possible, with the installation of high suppressor sights, probably night sights for me.

(6) Holsters: I really like Bladetech products, but have also been looking closely at the holsters Safariland make primarily for LEO and military use that allow the user to use a Glock with the RMR and a tac light on it, thoughts on holsters? Suggestions?

And finally, any other thoughts or comments you might have? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    I'm seriously considering putting an RMR on my Glock 34. I've been really impressed by the various operators and instructors who are singing the praise of the RMR system, but I do have a number of questions, and before I put another $700 into my $600 Glock, I've got some questions I'd appreciate the collective wisdom here about.

(1) I'm looking at the Trijicon RMR with the 3.5 MOA. I've read articles by people using the 6 MOA RMR who have indicated that while it is great for quicker acquisition and shooting at targets out at some distance, for close in shooting, it is not very useful and may even be a bit of a hindrance. Thoughts on that?

(2) Everything I'm reading points to the Trijicon RMR as still being the best choice. True? Your experirences?

(3) How long did it take for the guys using the RMR to get used to how to operate it properly. If I understand what I'm studying correctly, and based on my limited use of one on some friend's handguns, the key is to get the pistol quickly up to your eye while keeping the target in focus and pressing the trigger the moment the dot is on target. Somewhat the same as using a red dot on a rifle. I know you are NOT supposed to look at or focus on the dot or the pistol's front post any longer. Just curious how long it took you to get a hang of it.

(4) I've read that the RMR is good for aging eyes. My eyes are actually quite good. I had laser surgery on my eyes and my right eye (dominant eye), is my distance eye, which has caused me a bit of problem trying to focus on that front post. Observations?

(5) What outfit would you recommend for a custom milling of my Glock frame? I understand that is the best way to go, to get the optic settle down as low as possible, with the installation of high suppressor sights, probably night sights for me.

(6) Holsters: I really like Bladetech products, but have also been looking closely at the holsters Safariland make primarily for LEO and military use that allow the user to use a Glock with the RMR and a tac light on it, thoughts on holsters? Suggestions?

And finally, any other thoughts or comments you might have? Thanks.

OK so I am running a RM07 on a Glock 19. So far I really like the set up although it takes several hundred rounds to get used to tracking the dot and not the front sight.

- I have the 6 moa dot on mine. I like this a lot. Close in you just put the dot where you want it. I end up shooting a quarter sized hole at 7 yards. At 25 yards I chewed the center out of a b27 target with 100 yards. I also had multiple hits yesterday on a 12 inch steel plate at 100 yards. My point in the above is that I don't see the 6moa dot as a hindrance to short or long distances as long as you do your job.
    - My gun was milled by L&M Precision and they were great to deal with. The gun turned out great.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have one on a G17. RMR with the 3.5 was the way I went and I'm quite happy with it. I can see how a bigger dot might actually get in the way.
    As I got mine from Suarez it came along with the suppressor sights which works very well for me and the learning curve for using it was about three hundred rounds until I felt very comfortable and proficent.
    As I too have "older eyes" my experiance was, that for longer range pistol shooting getting everything aligned with conventional sights was taking a bit longer. The longer I concentraited on sight alignment the worse that individual shot was likely to turn out.
    I would have to reccomend Suarez International for the work they did on my pistol. The cut, the suppressor sights all come with the package and work very well together. The actual turn around time was great and the product flawless.
    The difference now is, it is so much quicker to align the front and rear sights with that third point being available to reference.
    I have carried it in an OWB holster, however for the most part this is my "Night Stand Gun" and I have limited experiance with OWB holster and no experiance with IWB holsters at this point. Suarez also has a complete line of holsters for this product, a little information from W.T. and you'll find what you need.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP, any updates on how this is going for you?

Feedback Score
    I have my RMR 3.25 MOA on a different application than a semi-auto handgun, mine is riding on top of a Freedom Arms M83 in .454 Casull. I can't speak to the difficulty of tracking the dot under recoil, since it is impossible to accomplish shooting .454 ammo since recoil is so heavy you can't track the front sight either.

The biggest hurdle to using the sight effectively for me has been learning to index the weapon the same way every time so the dot comes up in the window instead of forcing me to hunt for it. This takes practice just like anything else, but is probably more difficult on a big bore revolver than a low recoiling auto pistol because of the relative elevation adjustments on the sight to achieve zero, on the revolver it almost seems like the gun is pointed too low before the dot will appear in the window. It does work once you get the hang of it, and with the smaller dot I don't find picking it up to be a problem. Hits on low contrast targets are now much much easier than with the iron sights not only because the dot stands out, but because the target and the aiming point are on the same focal plane. Virtually nothing is safe from this combination at reasonable ranges out to 100-150 yards when I can do my part.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Look into a Unity Tactical Atom slide. You won't have to mill your OEM slide and it comes with suppressor height sights that co witness with the RMR. If you decide the RMR isn't for you or something new comes out in the future and you'd like to switch, you're not stuck with a slide milled for that particular sight.

http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/atom-slide-stripped/
    Silence can not be misquoted!

Feedback Score
    I have a 6 MOA Trijicon on my G19, and I'm quite pleased with it. I bought the RMR from and had the mill work done by Suarez. The price I got on the RMR was great (caught it on sale) and the turn around time on the mill work was good. Suarez has recently lowered the price for milling, but they only mill for the Trijicon units. In my experience, the RMR instantly made me a better shooter. I can hit better at distance and speed is unaffected. The 6 MOA dots seems about right to me. I've shot steel some at 200 yards and didn't feel like the dot was too big. I have a Seraphim holster from Dale Fricke for AIWB carry. I don't carry the G19 as much as my iron-sighted G26 though.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have my RMR on a GLOCK 19, work was done by ATEi along with a nickle boron coating of the slide. See my answers below per your question:
    (1) I have a 6.5 nonadjustable. My goal was faster target acquisition 30-100 yards so the larger dot fits my goal. YMMV.
    (2) Correct with the RM02 being the more robust option per my research.
    (3) 750-1000 rounds. At the end of the day you are performing the same task of lining up the sights and the dot will appear.
    (4) Seems the dot would be helpful just like on a rifle.
    (5) If you want to have your slide milled I would recommend ATEi and if you want to buy an aftermarket slide I would recommend Suarez.
    (6) After having the RMR for more than a year I have found most holster companies can do the cut out if you ask. If you are looking for a duty holster Safariland is probably your best option. I use Raven for OWB and the INCOG for IWB.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    OP, any updates on how this is going for you?
    Still trying to decide on dot size.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I started with the RMR07 and am now using an RMR06. I like the smaller dot for precision shooting but the ironic thing is the smaller dot blooms more from my astigmatism than the 6.5moa dot (looks like Air Jordan). I have only shot the the RMR06 indoors though so things might improve outdoors.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way but the larger dot has more of a chance of getting in the way than the smaller dot has of being too small. It's still bigger than a 2moa T1 and nobody seems to have a problem aiming with that.
    Last edited by tonyxcom; 04-21-14 at 21:43.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast