Thread: Full-size or Compact?

Feedback Score

Full-size or Compact?

For the average build male, if you can conceal a full-size pistol for EDC, why and what would be the advantage of carrying a compact or sub-compact over full-size?
    “We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

George Orwell

Feedback Score
    The sub compact is smaller,lighter and effortless to carry. The larger pistol is a better shooter though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kt1589 View Post
    For the average build male, if you can conceal a full-size pistol for EDC, why and what would be the advantage of carrying a compact or sub-compact over full-size?
    The only major advantage the compact/sub compact has over the FS is concealment and comfort of carry. As I don't find concealing a FS gun much trouble, and am willing to tolerate the added weight of the FS for all it's other advantages, I choose FS. Others prefer the compact options. That's personal preference for the most part which generally comes with experience and finding that balance between size/weight/comfort/conceal/shoot well ratio that works for you. What have you tried?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Personally I wouldn't carry anything smaller then a Glock 19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The only major advantage the compact/sub compact has over the FS is concealment and comfort of carry. As I don't find concealing a FS gun much trouble, and am willing to tolerate the added weight of the FS for all it's other advantages, I choose FS. Others prefer the compact options. That's personal preference for the most part which generally comes with experience and finding that balance between size/weight/comfort/conceal/shoot well ratio that works for you. What have you tried?
    I've tried all sizes pistols. Glock 19, FS M&P9, and will throw on the Shield9 for a quick errand. But am considering just going with the FS M&P9 all the time.
    “We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Define average adult male. Average American is obese.

If you AIWB and you're an average American, full size G17 or M&P should be no problem.

I can't anymore (only downside of loosing weight), so I carry a G19. Full size capabilities in a small package.

Not comfortable with anything that holds less than 15 rounds.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm 5' 9" and 160 and fit. Before I discovered compact pistols I daily carried a full sized XD45. When I was issued a G22 at work I decided to give the G27 a try and now it's on my hip the majority of the time I'm off-duty. Occasionally I still go to the XD45 and have no issues concealing it under a t-shirt but the G27 is much easier mostly because of the shorter grip; helpful for church when we go from sitting to standing to kneeling.

Both weapons are used with Milt Sparks holsters and Wilderness Instructor belts.

Feedback Score
    I carry my USP9F with no problems at all. Honestly, I don't see any advantages of compacts/subcompacts except the easier concealment in summertime. IMHO, the main reason for EDC a handgun is the self-defence. For this purpose the full-size guns just work better because of better accuracy and higher fire-power.