Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique my tuning...

Feedback Score

Critique my tuning...

I've got an 11.25" bbl and I'd like your advice on how to tune the gas/buffer/springing for use suppressed and unsuppressed.

My current plan is:
    Install adjustable gas block. (set and forget type)
    Install H2 buffer.
    Set gas block to just maintain LSBHO unsuppressed w/ weakest ammo.
    If that fails I'd retry with H, then Carbine buffers.

Will this method produce the desired results? (ie, lowest felt recoil while still functioning unsuppressed)
    Should I throw spring changes into the mix?
    Will it require different gas settings for suppressed vs. unsuppressed?

Sent from my SCH-I500

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you go for lock back on weakest ammo unsuppressed, you'll be giving up a little on the smooth operation with the can on. But you can get reliability with ONE setting for both.

I most certainly would not go with unknown, aftermarket springs. I'd start H2 with a Colt carbine spring. Unless you've got a custom port or somthing, the gun shouldn't require a lighter buffer. If it does, then you don't need the adjustable block.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    What Mark said, plus also consider an LMT Enhanced carrier.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I'd also consider an A5 RE, I have them on my 2 SBRs, along with a LMT E carrier, wolff XP spring and A5H4, I don't run a adjustable gas block but the difference in recoil impulse between the A5 set up and my older carbine RE with Wolff XP spring and H2 buffer is noticeable, A5 = smoother.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyJames View Post
    I'd also consider an A5 RE, I have them on my 2 SBRs, along with a LMT E carrier, wolff XP spring and A5H4, I don't run a adjustable gas block but the difference in recoil impulse between the A5 set up and my older carbine RE with Wolff XP spring and H2 buffer is noticeable, A5 = smoother.
    That would be an excellent option, but lower is currently a pistol w/ sig brace. I'd like to use it while waiting for the stamp.

Thanks for the great input so far guys.

Sent from my SCH-I500

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergyro View Post
    Install adjustable gas block. (set and forget type)
    No such thing as set and forget type unless you are going to use a single brand of ammunition and that's subject to change. Gas blocks with moving parts are for race guns, not fighting guns.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    Gas blocks with moving parts are for race guns, not fighting guns.
    I hear what you're saying. But I've been running the piss out of a Syrac I got a year or so ago, and it's starting to gain my confidence. Now this is on one of my range toys, but I tore down the gun for a handguard swap and the thing looked good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I hear what you're saying. But I've been running the piss out of a Syrac I got a year or so ago, and it's starting to gain my confidence. Now this is on one of my range toys, but I tore down the gun for a handguard swap and the thing looked good.
    I just got one of the Gen II Syrac's. The only reason I'm giving them a second try is the fact you longer need a second tool.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    Gas blocks with moving parts are for race guns, not fighting guns.
    Not trying to pick a fight, but I think any gas operated weapon needs multiple settings/adjustable gb, except maybe a Kalashnikov which just lets the excess blow off and isn't always all that smooth.

I base that opinion on various combat rifles like the FAL, M240, Sig 556 (whatever the swiss military calls it). And being as there are so many makes/qualities of ammo, there should be adjustable gas settings.

Anyway, just my $0.02...

essayons
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." -Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th US President
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -Gen. James Mattis, USMC (Ret.)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier_twiggy View Post
    Not trying to pick a fight, but I think any gas operated weapon needs multiple settings/adjustable gb, except maybe a Kalashnikov which just lets the excess blow off and isn't always all that smooth.

I base that opinion on various combat rifles like the FAL, M240, Sig 556 (whatever the swiss military calls it). And being as there are so many makes/qualities of ammo, there should be adjustable gas settings.

Anyway, just my $0.02...

essayons
    You may want to study the operating systems on the weapons you listed. Comparing them to an AR-15 is apples to oranges. This AGB panacea has exploded exponentially over the last year. It's the AR-15 field of dreams. Build it and someone will buy it. The simple fact is that a properly built rifle using the proper ammunition doesn't need an adjustable gas block. I have owned at least one of just about every model ever made. Trying to wrap my arms around what they can can't do has been quite the experience. There is far more misinformation and disinformation about what they are capable of than there is hard data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast