Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-1986 Transferable Colt M16A2 (RO901) Eye Candy and Question

Feedback Score

Pre-1986 Transferable Colt M16A2 (RO901) Eye Candy and Question

Here are some pictures of my newest toy. Form 4 came in early March.

Can anyone answer the following question?

How can a factory Colt M16A2 with the second generation A2 lower receiver (sometimes referred to as A3 or M4) reinforcements stamped "full auto" with full auto internals stamped "Colt's Firearms Division" with a factory MIL-A-8625 Type III, Class 2 deep black finish exist as pre-1986 machinegun transferable to civilians?

I have posted this question on another forum (though without pics) so if you have seen this question asked before please forgive the intrusion. I researched this topic at length and have 3-4 theories on how such a weapon can be pre-1986 transferable with post-1993 receiver reinforcements and a post-1998 factory finish.

Yes it is transferable. Yes the finish is factory Colt. No Victor at US Anodizing did not refinish the weapon. Yes it was VERY expensive.

Feel free to debate until Scott Ryan chimes in and then the matter is settled.
    Last edited by lawdawg97; 07-12-14 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    WTF over...
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I know someone who bought a new transferable M16A1 marked Colt 6-7yrs ago for $15K which had the A2 reinforcements at the back end of the receiver.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    I'm aware of very small number of original transferable Colt M16A1s that went back to Colt, sometime in the early 90s, and were "rebuilt" into modern style receivers using the exact same serial numbers but with all the A2 upgrades and modern black anodizing. This is one of the models Robb J. is talking about above. Yes, this process isn't "ATF legal" anymore and these Colts always stir the pot when they come up for sale with guys screaming about their legality, but somehow these made it through the NFA process back then and they have continued to change hands over the years. You'll see one every now and then up on Sturm/Subguns or at KCR.

Whom did you buy it from? The dealer should be able to tell you something about its history/provenance.

Feedback Score
    what would that cost to buy?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    [QUOTE=JChops;1905538]I'm aware of very small number of original transferable Colt M16A1s that went back to Colt, sometime in the early 90s, and were "rebuilt" into modern style receivers using the exact same serial numbers but with all the A2 upgrades and modern black anodizing. This is one of the models Robb J. is talking about above. Yes, this process isn't "ATF legal" anymore and these Colts always stir the pot when they come up for sale with guys screaming about their legality, but somehow these made it through the NFA process back then and they have continued to change hands over the years. You'll see one every now and then up on Sturm/Subguns or at KCR.

I thought the original mfg could replace the receiver of a NFA weapon...
    Ruger has replaced AC556 receivers when they had parts in stock but that was years ago...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This was debated over on TOS M16 forum and was discussed on Subguns back when Ruben was selling these. I assume you bought yours from Ruben; if so I know what you paid and yes, it was bloody expensive.

This updated A2 lower was not designed by Colt until well after 86. These "modern" transferable Colts must have had receivers that were replaced by Colt with current spec A2 lowers. A few years ago Armament Services International had similar M16A1 marked transferables configured as M4 Carbines with the updated A2 lower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JChops View Post
    I'm aware of very small number of original transferable Colt M16A1s that went back to Colt, sometime in the early 90s, and were "rebuilt" into modern style receivers using the exact same serial numbers but with all the A2 upgrades and modern black anodizing. This is one of the models Robb J. is talking about above. Yes, this process isn't "ATF legal" anymore and these Colts always stir the pot when they come up for sale with guys screaming about their legality, but somehow these made it through the NFA process back then and they have continued to change hands over the years. You'll see one every now and then up on Sturm/Subguns or at KCR.

Whom did you buy it from? The dealer should be able to tell you something about its history/provenance.
    I bought it 10 months ago from Vahan at Armament Services International (ASI). Some people have surmised that the ones Ruben sold more recently (2 months ago???) may actually have been from ASI given Vahan's current legal troubles. Not the most charming fellow but has great NFA stuff. Vahan explained to me that divulging the history of the weapon could reveal his source at Colt from whom he obtained this and several other transferable M16A2 with the modern receiver reinforcements.
    Last edited by lawdawg97; 04-30-14 at 19:45.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JChops View Post

This is correct.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    This was debated over on TOS M16 forum and was discussed on Subguns back when Ruben was selling these. I assume you bought yours from Ruben; if so I know what you paid and yes, it was bloody expensive.

This updated A2 lower was not designed by Colt until well after 86. These "modern" transferable Colts must have had receivers that were replaced by Colt with current spec A2 lowers. A few years ago Armament Services International had similar M16A1 marked transferables configured as M4 Carbines with the updated A2 lower.

This is also correct.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast