Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger differences in different weapon types

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Trigger differences in different weapon types

Looking for the hive minds thoughts on the various stages of triggers in sbr/pistols vs long guns.

I've always been of the school of thought that a 2 stage trigger was used for accuracy in distance weapons. Read outside 50-100m. And that single stage were used for qr weapons. Read sbrs/pistols.

I have a 2 stage in my 16". I'm in the final stages of building my sbr/pistol and am conflicted as to what stage I want to put in it. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
    Looking for the hive minds thoughts on the various stages of triggers in sbr/pistols vs long guns.

I've always been of the school of thought that a 2 stage trigger was used for accuracy in distance weapons. Read outside 50-100m. And that single stage were used for qr weapons. Read sbrs/pistols.

I have a 2 stage in my 16". I'm in the final stages of building my sbr/pistol and am conflicted as to what stage I want to put in it. Thoughts?
    i am aware of 2 quality single stange triggers, geissele sd3g and a cassette trigger by wilson combat. i dont think theres any real right answer to your question, but i am a fan of the geissele SSA and find the SSA-e to be too light in anything other than a bench gun.

hope that helps

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I guess where I'm going with this is to double check my mindset. In a qr subgun I don't see myself needing a trigger preloaded like a 2 stage provides. I need it to go bang. But on the other side of that the preload could be used as a secondary safety of sorts; in that you can let off the squeeze before it goes bang in case you misjudge the target.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
    I guess where I'm going with this is to double check my mindset. In a qr subgun I don't see myself needing a trigger preloaded like a 2 stage provides. I need it to go bang. But on the other side of that the preload could be used as a secondary safety of sorts; in that you can let off the squeeze before it goes bang in case you misjudge the target.
    That is much the way I look at it. In my SBRs and most of my carbines, I run a standard mil-spec trigger. I do have the ALG ACT in a couple of them. I reserve the 2-stage triggers for my precision oriented ARs, but I do have a 2-stage in a hybrid AR (short to medium range). I do have an AR that has the new Elftmann 3-Gun trigger (2.5-4 lbs.), but it is for precision and speed shooting. I would say to stick with a good mil-spec trigger like the ALG ACT.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It's been my experience with my SD-C that when I'm running fast I don't even notice it's a two stage, but if I want to slow down and take a more precise shot then the two stage break is really nice to have.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Sorta what Stevel said.. Rough use with an RDS single stage. Precision with magnified optics two stage.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I only use single stage triggers. I have Timney in my precision guns and CMC in my others. I also have one ALG QMS trigger and it is good. There are choices in both single and two stage. Just get what you like the best.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I used to be "a 2 stage is for DMR type rifles" I have a lot of time on the SSA in a carbine and SBR and really like it- when I need to run the trigger fast, the 2 stage doesn't really affect anything. I also have a couple SD3G ( single stage) and like them as well- I leaning a bit toward the SSA

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I will say that I have noticed that my rifle will double on occasion (more "bump-fire unintentionally") if I am not holding it in a fully supported position, and on one occasion I have ended up with a life round in the chamber, and a dead trigger (hammer down) due to hammer follow. I have a Geissele Super V trigger. I never had ANY issues with the Geissele SSA, and am a fan of that trigger and use them moving forward.

Feedback Score
    I concur with SteveL. I used to be a single stage guy for SBR's and run and gun setups myself, largely due to the same thought you have about 2 stage are meant for precision longer range setups.

That being said, I am fully sold on 2 stage setups anymore and that's all I'll buy from here on out. I run a 2/2 lb 2 stage and if I need to fire fast, I don't even notice the separate stages, but it's really nice having the 2 stages if I take a more precise shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast