Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Questions

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Savage Questions

Hey Guys,

What are your thoughts on Savages as a starter precision rifle. Budget isn't to big right now but am thinking about getting into the long range shooting gig.

Thanks,

Maunder

Feedback Score

Savage Questions

They're just fine, but have some widely known common issues like weak extraction and occasional feed issues. Some folks also don't care for the trigger design.

Not a AI or TRG in reliability, not a custom in accuracy, bolt feels like ass compared to a Tikka with a smaller aftermarket and resale than a 700, action and barrel nut are "ugly" ...but they generally shoot well and are conducive to DIY barrel swaps. Savage also offers a variety of rifles and calibers with varying levels of good stocks.

I'd consider them the RRA Predator Pursuit of bolt guns; wouldn't take one into battle or a serious competition but shoots well and is ample for most people's uses and needs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you have access to a spot/land where you can shoot long range, then you're going to end up sticking with it. This has been covered a lot already.. but basically... if you go with a Savage, you get an accurate gun, but it's not the most rugged or upgrade friendly rifle.

There's really about a thousand dollar or so threshold you can't avoid when talking about a decent bolt gun. You WILL get to that point eventually no matter how hard you dig your heels in. So I'd start with a Rem 700 compatible platform from the get go.

You will end up getting a trigger, a stock, rings, base, bed job, etc. I bought a SPS tactical and did these upgrades incrementally. I shot the original stock and trigger for a while. But as you progress, that mediocre stuff isn't going to cut it anymore.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If you have access to a spot/land where you can shoot long range, then you're going to end up sticking with it. This has been covered a lot already.. but basically... if you go with a Savage, you get an accurate gun, but it's not the most rugged or upgrade friendly rifle.

There's really about a thousand dollar or so threshold you can't avoid when talking about a decent bolt gun. You WILL get to that point eventually no matter how hard you dig your heels in. So I'd start with a Rem 700 compatible platform from the get go.

You will end up getting a trigger, a stock, rings, base, bed job, etc. I bought a SPS tactical and did these upgrades incrementally. I shot the original stock and trigger for a while. But as you progress, that mediocre stuff isn't going to cut it anymore.
    AND don't forget to add a Savage floating bolt head to your 700s bolt to help it with its accuracy like a lot of Bench Rest shooters do.

Here are some targets my Savage (hunting rifle ) has shot with their Target trigger set at 18 oz. The 3/8" was at 200 yds. the one with the ruler was at 400 yds. and consistently shoots less than 2 inches at 400 yds. without any wind. My smallest 1,000 yd. five shot group was 3+1/4".

My rifle is a custom built that cost me a total of $1443.00 including shipping plus the scope & mounts. I shoot 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105 gr. VLDs with Varget and CCI BR4 primers.

OH, I forgot to mention that my best 5 shot group at 100 yds. was a tiny .084". Not to shabby for a rifle I had built to hunt antelope in Wyoming with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gt40; 05-13-14 at 07:27.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    I shoot 6mm Norma BR.
    Well you're already cheating out of the gate there.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I guess.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljmaunder View Post
    Hey Guys,

What are your thoughts on Savages as a starter precision rifle. Budget isn't to big right now but am thinking about getting into the long range shooting gig.

Thanks,

Maunder
    What's your Budget for just the Rifle alone? What caliber/s are you considering? What do you need and expect it to do?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP.
    what do you want to do?
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I'll add to this instead of starting a new thread ! I have had a long range rifle for awhile,,but mostly shot 100 yards,,200 once in awhile,we finally are getting access to a 800+ yrd range and I am loving it. Anyways guys,,I have a Remmy 5R in 308 and it shoots good,,nothing extraordinary,but good. Maybe with some tweaks I can get it better,,soooooooo,,with that said,I have been thinking about the Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision in 260 Remington. Its one of the few Factory rifles in 260,I have read a lot about the caliber and really would like to give it a try, not worried about switching and buying all new stuff cuz the 308 won't go to waste,,I have plenty of M1a/308 Garands to run it in,plus I will probably keep my 5R anyways. So is the 260 really worth it to switch over,,or take the $$ and tune up the 5R a bit,it still sits in the factory stock/trigger combo,but want to upgrade the trigger instead of sending it to Remington for 3 months and still have a shitty trigger in it ! If not this Summer,I think next year we wil get 1000+ to shoot,so its looking up for sure. I know markm is a diehard Remmy guy and I am also,but I really would like to try the 260. Let me know what you guys think,Thanks

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

Gotta agree with markm, and I own a relatively heavily modified Savage 10FP. If you save your money for a more basic rifle-smith modified 700 you'll have a lot more options in the long run.

Just to give you an idea:

As much as I hate using this term, the Savage is very much a "Garage" smith rifle.
    Last edited by MorphCross; 06-29-14 at 21:50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast