Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Reticle Options for LED ACOG

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree with most of this. The TA31 series has short eye relief. The tradeoff to this is an absolutely amazing field of view. I defy anyone to find a similar 4x optic with anywhere close to the same field of view. For moving targets, a wide field of view is VERY important.

There's no need for a great field of view when dialed up to 4x. At max magnification you're taking a long(er) range shot which in itself is a low percentage shot. Trying to do so on a moving target is simply wasting ammo. If you have the time to twist up to 4x you have the time to wait for a better shot, like an inline mover or stationary, as opposed to a perpendicular line of travel. Show me an ACOG that excels at sub 50 yard work in the 3x or 4x range as opposed to a low power variable? Distance shots generally aren't as time sensitive as short range shots. I would sooner have the short range advantage than the long with such a setup.

Auto adjustment isn't always the best. There are many circumstances where it isn't ideal. IE mixed lighting environments in urban areas. The ACOG LED also employs a rotary knob, I much prefer this over any push button controls. Much faster.

I fully agree.

Low power variables are next to worthless for what people ACTUALLY do with them. They are great for fitting into a very narrow rule classification in gun games.

Not sure I follow "what people actually do"?

A MUCH more ideal solution in short (sub 300 yard) tactical type situations is a fixed 4 or 6x scope with an offset RDS solution. There are height over bore offset issues in using an RMR mounted on top of an ACOG, but these can be mitigated through training and the appropriate zero distance.

Fixed power optics are all but dead. A one trick pony soon loses its appeal, and a second offset optic is only useful from one side of the gun. A shoulder transition or off side rollover prone position renders offset sights all but useless. Lets not forget the added cost in a second optic and mount.
    I respectfully disagree with your points of view, I'm the bold.

A 1-4/6/8 optic without a sh*tty integral mount and a graduated reticle, either FFP or SFP with the excellent and to be expected fibre optic illumination from Trijicon would be a very suitable design. I personally am all for tripower for the optic, being fiber optic, tritium and battery backup. As mentioned, if you're using max magnification, you're likely taking long(er) shots so a graduated reticle in the SFP would suffice. My choice would the 556 horseshoe in green..

Just my thoughts..

MM
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 09-16-14 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Honestly, I just want a VCOG in 1-8 with an H-27D reticle.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I could live with the horseshoe dot in the VCOG but I really want an ACOG that is 1x and 4x like the elcans and battery operated with tritium fibre optic in amber. Just in case trijicon is reading this and thinks I'm worthy of listening to... now back to the real world. I'm going to start saving up for one of these with the horseshoe.
    Better equipment doesn’t make you a better shot. Better practice makes you a better shot.

I’m not impressed by a lifetime warranty. I’m impressed by something built to last a lifetime!

American by birth, Veteran by choice!

Eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These reticles are new to LED acog, but not new. I own a VCOG and there are many issues with it. They are well documented on the interwebs. To me, acog is better than vcog, in any role.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123