Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LEO and pistol lights

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    We have issued WML's since 2004 to everyone in the department. Recently everyone was given a Surefire G2X/V70 combo. This did not come out of someone using the light inappropriately, rather we had extra money at the end of the fiscal year and did not want to give it back to the city. We also have lights on all of the patrol rifles and hope to expand that to all shotguns next year. We have never had a ND involving WML's use or misuse. We did have one guy who's revolver cylinder would hang up so his solution was to pull the hammer back ever so slightly while releasing the cylinder. he did this while simultaneously pulling the trigger to release the hammer. Weird I know, we found out when he shot his locker. Needless to say he no longer works for us.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperRob View Post
    My department has 500+ officers. Weapon lights are authorized but only issued to the Selective Enforcement Team (SWAT). We train, and constantly reinforce, that WML are not to be used as search tools, only threat ID. This has not been an issue yet.

Raleigh PD settled a lawsuit several years ago when a suspect was shot in low-light conditions and the lack of a WML was an issue. Raleigh PD issues WMLs on all long guns now.

Rob

I contacted Raleigh PD and they could not find any record going back to 1990 of any lawsuit that had anything in reference to WML's.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    Every pd in the area where i live is allowed to use wml.

Feedback Score
    K-9 and SRT in use for years regular patrol last 1 1/2 years or so. TLR with laser no less. Light for Patrol Rifle individual Officer supply / choice.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For those running Surefire X300/400s on their pistols, who uses the DG tape switch, and how do you like it vs the rocker switch?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
    For those running Surefire X300/400s on their pistols, who uses the DG tape switch, and how do you like it vs the rocker switch?
    I love mine. Makes activating the light much easier, especially when shooting 1 handed. Only a couple of us use DGs or the Streamlight equivalent.
    I had to replace it after 4 years, as it started to wear out and work intermittently. No biggie.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Not a necessity although I think everyone should have one, provided you go through a credible low light school like surefire or Strategos to learn how to use it and when it's applicable. Having said that every Officer should have at least two hand held lights as long as they meet the same criteria above. Low light is definitely an art and skill that EVERY LEO should possess. However nobody puts the emphasis that they should on it. Nothing like being beamed by a fellow LEO or having a canary walking around with a light always on. Walking UAV's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234