Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Researching a which 1000 yard rifle buy. Need advice!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    308 is a ok cartage at that distance. I would say get a 30-06. A Winchester Model 70 Police or a Model 70 pre-64 for the lighting fast smooth bolt. And I would heavy barrel the pre-64 also give it a joules trigger for better accuracy. At 600 yds my Model 70 heavy barrel free floated custom in 30-06 using a old Leopold Mark IV scope can get a group no bigger than a quarter.
    Horseshit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We had a perfect rifle shooting day on the morning of the 4th. Cloudy with no wind. We took both Pappabears 5Rs Rem 700s (.223 and .308) to 1100 +/- yards and were picking off 15" rocks on the mountain side like falling out of bed.

Shooting stuff smaller than our normal gong was a really good exercise
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Horseshit.
    Ha, now that was fairly direct! I'm going to double down on that statement.

Sure there are better cartridges, at distance, than the .308, but the 30-06 is only marginally better and only in some finely crafted hand loads. If you want significantly better you better step it up beyond 30-06 there gunsmith.

IMHO 600 yards would be a wash between the two and it would be more the shooter than the cartridge, specifically his/her ability to read the wind.

Last I checked the two cartridges use the exact same bullets.

Feedback Score
    Actually HK guns, the 30-06 is FAR more capable than the .308...you can expect up to 150-200+ ft/s w bullets in the 175gr class and up.

You have no doubt looking at factory ammo (& reloading manuals) loaded down to 308 levels to ensure that 90-100+ year old rifles don't blow up.

In my rifles, i get the following velocities from my '06s (26" barrel)

175/178AMAX 2,950 - 2,980ft/s
    185/195 Berger VLDs; 2900+ ft/s
    208AMAX / 210 Berger VLD; 2,700ft/s

All the loads above leave you with NO pressure signs...there are enterprising folks that regularly stoke their 30-06 to 300WM levels using moly coated bullets and doeses of RL-19 & RL-22 powder.

The great thing about the 30-06 is that you can get about 95%+ capability of .300WM with 15-20gr less powder and 5x the barrel life (~5,000 vs ~1,100-1,500)

Unfortunately, match loads for 30-06s are few and far between, and as previously mentioned, the factory stuff is pathetic.

In any event, my advise to start with .223/556 (forget anything bigger) stands.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    .223 Rem 700 is a pure pleasure to shoot. Add a suppressor and forget it. You have a 700-1000 yard pellet gun.
    Back on topic a bit...

I built up a 223 Savage Hog Hunter just for fun recently. I threw it into a Mcree Chassis, and with no work to it, it shoots between 0.7-0.9 moa with 5 shot groups out to 300. Not saying all Hog Hunters will shoot awesome, but for the money invested, it has been a blast to shoot, especially once I put my Surefire can on the front. A 15lb rifle chambered in 223 has almost zero recoil.

Also on topic...Ammo cost. Here in Alaska, my Hornady 223 match loads run 20.99 for a box of 20. There has not been a box of 308 match by Hornady on the shelves since I got up here 2 months ago. The closest I could get was FGMM, at 29.90 a box. The 6.5 Creedmoor Match by Hornady is also 29.90 a box.

So that may help (or make worse) your caliber choice for your bolt rifle, since both 6.5 and 308 are both the same price. I have found that components end up being similar in cost as well (if/when you start reloading)

Good luck resisting the addiction, it is a fun place to be!
    Former Colorado State Director, Students for Concealed Carry
    concealedcampus.org

Feedback Score
    Get a Remington 700 in whatever flavor u want but Ime with tx shooter, I got an 06 Jered at P arms built with a 26 inch bbl and .830 OD on a remmy. No recoil, cheap and can find ammo anywhere. Bumps 300 win factory loads easy with Lapua brass. It's not new or gonna impress your buds but it works, it's cheap, it's efficient, and can stretch out a little better than the 308. As someone said 1500 goes Quick so make the best of it. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Look at .260 Rem or .300 Win Mag. Relatively inexpensive to shoot with Match Grade Ammo and should have no problem hitting your target if your doing everything right.

Feedback Score
    To start out with if your wallet isn't to fat I would pick this one for shooting out to 1,000 yds. I shoot the 6mm Norma BR. with the same action with a 26" S/S Brux barrel in a built rifle with a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope.

http://savagearms.com/firearms/models/ ( Look at the F Class rifle. )

The target was the second time I ever shot at 1,000 yds. and it was in competition. I never looked at the wind I just shot each 5 shot group as fast as I could. The sizes of the groups and the scores are in the lower right. Not to bad for my antelope hunting rifle. All 15 shots would have hit an antelopes boiler room. It cost me $1443.00 including shipping plus the scope & mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gt40; 09-24-14 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    First choice would be as follows:

223 for 500 yard ranges shot the most
    308 if you looking at 700 yards

Any further than this will move you into a reloading category or buy box ammo, which will be high. The creedmoor is an excellent round which you can buy good box ammo for.
    As you will see, almost all long range shooters reload, there is no comparison once you figure out your round.

In truth, any round in the 6mm variety will suit you well. They are fast and flat. Easy to shoot well over most others, but require reloading for the most part. There are many guns that will fill the role of learning how to shoot, but it can be done cheaper just starting out over just having that perfect gun.

I would really say buy a 22 LR and put some good glass on it. Learn to shoot it out to 200 yards and be consistent. Go to some matches and see what some of the other guys use in your area. There is a big difference between learning how to shoot and buying a 1000 yard gun. If money is no concern buy the best, but if not start cheap to see if you will stick with it.

Look at it this way....if you buy a 6.5 creed, yes you will buy a 1200 yard gun and be shooting box ammo, but you will not have to buy any reloading equipment. This is where the real cost of long range shooting is. My custom 338 LM was about 3500, which I consider cheap when I compare it to all the support equipment I have bought just to try and shoot it well. I have spent over 7k "learning" what I am doing wrong, not including the gun.
    If I had to do things over again I would buy a 22LR and put a nightforce of it, or maybe a cheap rem 700 in 308. When the barrel is burnt out you should be a good shooter in all conditions, not that perfect sunny dry windless day we all love.

If you would consider reloading any of the 6mm family would do you well. They are all easy to shoot and not too bad on reloading. It's a gun that will do 1k easy, not too bad on reloading cost and brass lasts a good while. Or buy a 6.5 creed and and box ammo.

Do not cheat yourself on getting good glass its a must.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVDu1EARBc
    1000 yards $1000
    However I am more fond of Remington

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456