Thread: Rem 700 feeding issues

Feedback Score

Rem 700 feeding issues

I recently started having feeding issues where the bolt wouldn't strip the round from the magazine. I noticed that the mag spring was rotating in the mag follower. Here is what it looked like:

as you can see, the spring is not centered in the follower. This is a stamped follower. When 2 or more rounds are in, it would bind on the wall of the magazine and not push the rounds all the way up.

I bought 2 milled followers from Remington ($25) I took some 400, 600, 1000 grit sandpaper and polished it up.

(in the upper left of this pic, you can see how the spring is held in the stamped follower)

The offending rifle:

So far its not doing it, but I'm going to the range this weekend and see.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My Rem 700 will not feed the last round for shit. Never fails... I'll have my position locked up, Wind called to perfection, and ready to get that next shot made.... and that piece of shit will trick fukk me.

I almost always single feed the damned thing to keep my blood pressure low when shooting. I could probably get it right if I took the time, but I never seem to get after it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Check the mag box to insure it's not binding, the box itself should have a slight wiggle to it. I've had success by reversing the spring to get the rounds to be high enough for the bolt to catch. Other than that, typical blemington, but don't worry-you can fix it by installing a DBM system. Or do what I did and get a Winchester or FN or better yet an AI.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Markm, this has been sitting in the safe for about 1/2 year before I ~finally~ got around to it.

mark5pt56. At first I thought that some bedding had pushed the side of the magazine, but the follower is not binding by itself. When I took it out I noticed that the spring would cock to one side because it wasn't held in place like the milled follower. ( the milled follower has a channel for the spring to sit in, so it can't slide around from side to side.( would love to get a model 70)
    Last edited by ride57; 04-09-14 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    One of those (Win or FN) won't single feed right? Pappabear has one of those non single feeding lifesucks... NOT acceptable, MAMA!

I almost never use the mag. I'll take a shit feeding mag over the inability to single feed any day.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Makeing good springs is a art many gun manufactures have farmed out to the cheapest bidder nowadays and the angle that spring pushes the follower up can be critical to good feeding. Midway and brownells offer factory replacement springs for under $10 but that's rolling the dice,HS Precision has a complete box replacement that is pricey but a sure thing. Leaving them loaded for very long periods of time does not help ethier but I'm sure your aware of that. Good Luck
    "I show my Colt to my friends,and my Glock to my enemies "

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Wrong, the new model CRF's all have the extractor "mod" a small bevel on it to allow it to single feed. An actually although technically not advised, even the old Mauser's could be single feed. The extractor would "snap" over the cartridge rim-you just needed to be snappy with the bolt operation.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    One of those (Win or FN) won't single feed right? Pappabear has one of those non single feeding lifesucks... NOT acceptable, MAMA!

I almost never use the mag. I'll take a shit feeding mag over the inability to single feed any day.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've seen milled followers from Rem that has the same channel for the spring to snap into.
    Quote Originally Posted by ride57 View Post
    Markm, this has been sitting in the safe for about 1/2 year before I ~finally~ got around to it.

mark5pt56. At first I thought that some bedding had pushed the side of the magazine, but the follower is not binding by itself. When I took it out I noticed that the spring would cock to one side because it wasn't held in place like the milled follower. ( the milled follower has a channel for the spring to sit in, so it can't slide around from side to side.( would love to get a model 70)
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Markm has become the smoothest single feed master on earth. I have had pretty good luck with mine. My 223 rounds sometimes stay to low, but all in all it works pretty darn good. I want a DBM for it, but I don't want to screw up the only .25inch gun Ive ever owned. The DBM is a great thing, they just cost $$.

Yea I have Winchesters and FN SPR, you can single feed but the claw extractor versions don't like it and I feel like your playing with fire to do it. I have a Win 338WM, it doesn't have the claw and you can single feed those all day long.

Long live the remmy.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    The Rem bottom metal always gave me trouble in my 700P. Replaced it with a DBM kit and it changed the entire experience!