Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching a which 1000 yard rifle buy. Need advice!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    OP, are you saying you have $1,500 sitting aside and ready to buy just the Rifle Only? Are you aware and ok with having to spend much more when you factor in: Optic, Base, Rings, Bipod, Sling, Cleaning Equipment, etc?

If you have $1,500 to spend on a Rifle and it must be in .308, I would strongly suggest looking at used FN SPRs. Matter of Fact there is a smoking deal on an FN SPR on Gunbroker that is setup Correctly and is right at the Limit of your Budget. It is used. But the Chrome Lined barrels on the SPRs are normally good to 8 to 10 Thousand Rounds...being Chrome Lined and Hammer Forged. They are Sub-MOA, and if not, FN will see to it that they become Sub-MOA, rather quickly. The action on them is far Superior to the Rem 700/Savage Actions. Keep this in mind when you are ready to have a Good Builder True up your action and spin on possibly a different caliber barrel. PM me if you want the link or need to ask some questions (no, I don't know the guy and have nothing to gain by recommending this rifle...but did chat with the Guy of the Shop who did the work on this Rifle, and he gave it a thumbs up and is well respected in Building/Smithing Precision Bolt Guns).

If you are Considering 6.5 Creedmoor over .308 (yes it flat out spanks the .308 in every single way), then you are right on the Money with considering the Savage 12LRP, especially for the price. Should be Sub $1k.

Feedback Score
    I always find questions like these to be odd. To hit at 300-400 yards with precision takes serious training. The more time you spend training with people to acquire these skills, the more you learn about the gear you need to go further. You eventually get gear similar to the trainers you are exposed to. Eventually, you realize that first round hits with precision at 500+ yards require some serious skills with math and reading the wind and have very little to do with equipment. Your personal skills are way more important than which rifle you pick (within reason).

I'm a fan of 300 win mag for what you're talking about, however, since you are asking a generic question that you would easily learn in a basic long range precision rifle course, I'd recommend .308 as you can shoot a lot of rounds for less money. I'd recommend a cheaper .308 gun and spending as much money as possible on training.
    Director of Training for Task Force Special Operations - a private security company

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    I changed my mind. This is your ultimate 1,000 yd. rifle:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xohy9gWz7kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9gWz7kk

Here is my set up.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=617537&highlight=
    LOL! Dude. The best part was their faces after they shot it. Its like even though they knew what to expect it still shocked them LOL! I almost pissed myself here at work watching it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    Eventually, you realize that first round hits with precision at 500+ yards require some serious skills with math and reading the wind and have very little to do with equipment. Your personal skills are way more important than which rifle you pick (within reason).
    I was about to laugh at this... but then I think back 3 years ago when a 500 yard hit was thrilling for me.

I'd put your spotter as even more important or at least equal importance to your own skills. Having a good spotter that you work with regularly is all the difference in the world.

And to your point... a good spotter and shooter can make hits with pretty mediocre guns/glass. But good guns and glass are no substitute for good skilled shooters and spotters.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I was about to laugh at this... but then I think back 3 years ago when a 500 yard hit was thrilling for me.

I'd put your spotter as even more important or at least equal importance to your own skills. Having a good spotter that you work with regularly is all the difference in the world.

And to your point... a good spotter and shooter can make hits with pretty mediocre guns/glass. But good guns and glass are no substitute for good skilled shooters and spotters.
    And when you could do this easily, you had also come into contact with more than enough info as to what guns and glass would get the job done, and could easily answer this question, correct?
    Director of Training for Task Force Special Operations - a private security company

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    And when you could do this easily, you had also come into contact with more than enough info as to what guns and glass would get the job done, and could easily answer this question, correct?
    yeah... we've really got to where it's fun hitting 500 with a 4x ACOG. And there's a certain enjoyment from hitting at 1000 with the .308 and .223... crap... some days, for whatever reason, it's hardest to get the 300WM to ring the gong.

But shooting a .308 with a Nightforce scope at 500 yards is a chip shot. At our elevation, 3.5 mils is all you need to remember... then just make a good wind call... rarely is wind bad enough to hold much off the IPSC size gong.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    I went for the most accurate caliber to try and give me an edge against shooting an antelope at long range AND the 1,000 yard shooting. The cases need almost no prepping to shoot very accurate. I used to shoot 1 & 200 yd. bench rest until I shot at 1,000 yds. Then I completely lost interest in short range competition. Most guys shoot 30 caliber at 1,000 yds., but if you are not going to shoot much past 500 yds. The wind will have less impact on the 6mm and very little recoil. I know that I sound like I am hedging, but I would go with the 6mm Norma BR for what you will be shooting at.

Heading out to dinner so maybe I'l get back with you later.

PS: Never shot the Creedmoor. It is supposed to be a good round.
    Well, I definitely reevaluated my goals after talking to everyone here (especially you, which I really appreciate). 1000 yards is out of the picture for me until I learn the fundamentals up to 300 yards or so first. I think the Savage will be my choice. I guess since they only offer it in 240, 260, and 6.5, I will go with 6.5.

I started looking at what it will cost to get into reloading....a basic package....maybe 500$? That will come next year though. So, how about some good books to read? Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marley View Post
    I started looking at what it will cost to get into reloading....a basic package....maybe 500$?
    I'd piece together equipment if you're going to load for just this project.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd piece together equipment if you're going to load for just this project.
    OK. Sounds good. So, can you recommend a good website that has what I would need? I have no idea where I would look for this equipment. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A sinclair catalog will have everything. You can accumulate everything around a single stage press. A Big Boss 2 or a Rock Chucker would be good.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast