Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt Failure today..

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Bolt Failure today..

Had my suppressed 11.5 lock up today. Thought it was a blow primer, but it was a bolt lug failure. The busted piece was behind the cam pin in the BCG.

After this... I put the bolt back in and continued the shoot. Maybe 40 more rounds in this gun. when I got home, the next lug (above) was busted off and sitting in the Barrel Extension.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How many miles on the bolt?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not EXACTLY sure. I'd estimate 2000-4000 rounds. This bolt is NP3'd and bought that way, but hasn't appeared so since about 100 rounds or so. I'm not sure I want to say what bolt it is yet. This is my first busted bolt, and I don't think it's anything other than SHIT HAPPENS. This is NOT A BCM or COLT item.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Robert Silvers refused to have any coatings/treatments done to this AAC BCG bolts due to hydrogen embrittlement potential. I wonder if NP3 can result in such? I am not up and up on it, so I don't know.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Robert Silvers refused to have any coatings/treatments done to this AAC BCG bolts due to hydrogen embrittlement potential. I wonder if NP3 can result in such? I am not up and up on it, so I don't know.
    Yeah. I'm not sure if that's an NP3 issue or not.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. I'm not sure if that's an NP3 issue or not.
    Do you know if this is a C158 or 9310 bolt?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't. I'm not sure if I'll send it in. I'm certainly not blaming anything on any manufacturer yet. The bolt is marked MPI. I can't remember if it was described as C158 or not though.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't. I'm not sure if I'll send it in. I'm certainly not blaming anything on any manufacturer yet. The bolt is marked MPI. I can't remember if it was described as C158 or not though.
    It lasted several thousand rounds. I'm not sure that anyone "is to blame", regardless. Still, I personally would never buy another one like it simply because it did fail prematurely and I've left my NP3/QPQ/Unicorn Blood bolt phase and gone with Mil-Spec and not had any issues.

My former roommate and I worked over my Surefire suppressors last week and he has a RCA BCG, and I have a Mil-Spec BCG. Both our weapons ran fine, both cycled by hand afterward with about the same "feel" to them all caked in carbon, and both of them cleaned up the same way, except mine had a tiny bit of carbon on the tail of the bolt after wiping with a paper-towel and his RCA BCG did not. Also of note, his cam-pin and bolt lugs showed 0 wear while mine showed some.

Still, I have had a RCA bolt peen and deform lugs on me before. Never a good Mil-Spec one.

Anyway, just my ramblings. I'm surprised a man of your 17-7 Mil-Spec buffer spring using, CS spring hating ideation would ever run something covered in NP3 :P

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I've lost lugs at under 4k on early Colt M4A1s. It happens.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've lost lugs at under 4k on early Colt M4A1s. It happens.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Early M4A1's...
    Was there a change made, or did you stop shooting them, or...?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast