Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt Failure today..

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Early M4A1's...
    Was there a change made, or did you stop shooting them, or...?
    They were early deliveries, not recent. I think they were 98-01 vintage. Car buffers, original extractor spring buffers.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep - my feeling is that 5,000 is the top side for bolt life, and less for a suppressed or machine gun. I'm pretty sure it's even written somewhere.

I've replaced bolts at around 5k in the past. I've since stopped maintaining a replacement schedule or even really keeping round counts, but this is a reminder that it should probably be maintained with a designated hostility gun, at least. Training/fun guns can be ridden to failure without much consequence, obviously.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
    Yep - my feeling is that 5,000 is the top side for bolt life, and less for a suppressed or machine gun. I'm pretty sure it's even written somewhere.

I've replaced bolts at around 5k in the past. I've since stopped maintaining a replacement schedule or even really keeping round counts, but this is a reminder that it should probably be maintained with a designated hostility gun, at least. Training/fun guns can be ridden to failure without much consequence, obviously.
    Yup.
    I've seen mil bolts fail at under 4k, and some go over 8k. Replace at 5k and keep a spare handy.

Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    They were early deliveries, not recent. I think they were 98-01 vintage. Car buffers, original extractor spring buffers.

Oh, significant suppressed fire on those A1s.

Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    What's interesting is many of my bolts have almost double the mileage and are still fine. This includes the ones on my 11.5" and 12.5" uppers which are shot suppressed.

Of course, I know the pedigree of all of them.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    What's interesting is many of my bolts have almost double the mileage and are still fine. This includes the ones on my 11.5" and 12.5" uppers which are shot suppressed.

Of course, I know the pedigree of all of them.
    Those were also from the days of less than optimal lubricant application.

Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Did it lock up again after the 40 additional rounds, or did you just decide to stop shooting at that point?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    How much you selling it for ? It could yield a cool paper weight in the office, specially since it was celebrity shot , just sign it first. What do you gents consider on the low end of mileage for a quality BCG, high end? I am under the understanding that shooting suppressed will lower the BCG life, but is there a rule of thumb of about how much?

Grammar is not really my thing today I have a lot going on, I hope my question/ comment makes sense. It's something I often wondered.

"It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This."

https://www.facebook.com/Blak1508
    Instagram Blak1508

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Yup.
    I've seen mil bolts fail at under 4k, and some go over 8k. Replace at 5k and keep a spare handy.

With a 16" barreled semi-automatic sans suppressor, should we expect a much longer bolt life?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not EXACTLY sure. I'd estimate 2000-4000 rounds. This bolt is NP3'd and bought that way, but hasn't appeared so since about 100 rounds or so. I'm not sure I want to say what bolt it is yet. This is my first busted bolt, and I don't think it's anything other than SHIT HAPPENS. This is NOT A BCM or COLT item.
    Mark how wet did you keep the bolt? Wondering if that had anything to do with it.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast