View Poll Results: Which handguns to put away for the kids?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19

76 58.02%
  • M&P Core 9

3 2.29%
  • H&K USP9

24 18.32%
  • Something else

28 21.37%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which handguns to put away for the kids?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    My main requirements are:
    Reliability, durability, etc.
    9mm - no other calibers for this purpose
    High capacity magazine (15+ rounds)
    Easy to find spare parts
    Somewhat concealable (probably excludes the USP9 from the list)
    Magazine commonality*
    given that you have at least 10+ years, I would think that you could buy ANY of those pistols then slowly stock up on magazines and a whole host of spare parts to last them a lifetime.
    If not me, then who?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    I would not buy any pistol you are not going to use for the next 13+ years. That Gen4 will probably seem pitiful compared to the Gen7 available in 2027.
    This.

If you're going to be putting plastic fantastics away for your kids, I'd let small arms evolution take its course - the money you spend now on the latest and greatest will be anything but by then.

Instead, I'd invest in heirloom weapons: BHPs, P7s, NHC and Wilson 1911s, &c. Stuff that will never go "out of style" and that your kids will truly appreciate and love.

That reminds me... I should find a P7 PSP. Still kicking myself over letting the last one go....
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 05-18-14 at 23:25.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    My main requirements are:
    Reliability, durability, etc.
    9mm - no other calibers for this purpose
    High capacity magazine (15+ rounds)
    Easy to find spare parts
    Somewhat concealable (probably excludes the USP9 from the list)
    Magazine commonality*

So my questions are:

1. Is anyone else doing this or am I being ridiculous?
    2. What would (did) you go with? Glock, S&W, H&K or something else?
    In terms of Your needs - USP9F. I respectfully disagree that USP can't be CC as I do it every day with no problems at all.
    Of course - You are not ridiculous! All my respects to Your sense of paternal responsibility!

Feedback Score
    I bought my kids each a 10/22 for Xmas a few years back. I've thought about getting each of them a G19, so your idea is not too far off. Mine are older now, however. The best thing you can do now is start to teach them responsible gun handling and marksmanship.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I had the exact same thoughts about 13-14 years ago. I ended up with an AR and a Glock 19 for each kid.

Yes the Beretta is the issued gun for the US Military currently and this may have a positive effect on parts availability. But the Glock platform is also widely issued and parts air around.

I would stock up on some of the wear parts such as gas rings on the AR and recoil springs on the Glock.

I went with the Glock 19 as I felt (and still do feel) that it is one of the best "all around" guns. It's size is such that it can function as a full size duty weapon/holster gun while still being small enough to realistically carry concealed.

As much as I liked the Glock 19 gen3 guns I bought for myself and for my kids, my Glock 19 is semi retired. I bought a new Glock 19 gen4 last fall. Mine has a test fire date of Halloween 2013. It shows none of the issues that have plagued the Glocks for a period. The ability to add the back straps for people like myself with larger hands is enough of an advantage that I would buy gen 4 Glock 19's if I were doing it today.

Don't forget to store away magazines and ammunition as well as the guns, no matter which one you chose.

I also obtained a copy of the Glock armor's course from a friend and included a copy with each kid's stash. The nice thing about the Glock system is if you can read an armor's manual, you can work on your gun. It's really not that complicated of a system to work on at all.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 05-19-14 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    I would not buy any pistol you are not going to use for the next 13+ years. That Gen4 will probably seem pitiful compared to the Gen7 available in 2027.
    I doubt that.

It's been 9 years since I bought my first Glock and to this day if I could only keep one of my guns...it would be that one.

They work, they work well, they have a ton of market and aftermarket support, mags are inexpensive, common, and work well, they have proven themselves. Even with new generations coming out, the previous models are still perfectly viable. Some people even prefer their Gen2 to what's new, or their old Gen3.
    Last edited by Warp; 05-19-14 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    Gen 3 G19 or G17 are proven,the verdict is still on on the 4th serie's.
    Last edited by fowler; 05-19-14 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would recommend buying 10 full capacity mags for whichever pistol you choose for your children. They will probably thank you for your foresight.
    Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I doubt that.

It's been 9 years since I bought my first Glock and to this day if I could only keep one of my guns...it would be that one.

They work, they work well, they have a ton of market and aftermarket support, mags are inexpensive, common, and work well, they have proven themselves. Even with new generations coming out, the previous models are still perfectly viable. Some people even prefer their Gen2 to what's new, or their old Gen3.
    I might feel the same way about a pistol that fit my needs well for 9 years. But are the OP's kids going to feel that way about old-tech they have no connection with? Inheriting a father's well-used gun has an emotional component, but an unused common production gun is just NOS not a Colt Python to drool over. If their peers are buying Glocks with integrated range finder, camera, GPS, IR laser Linked to Google glass display, etc. the heartfelt gift may not be received so graciously.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Honestly, if a scenario developed where the only firearms available to them are those "put away" for them, I would go for a full-size service weapon. Add a supply of magazines and at least 1k of ammo for each handgun and 2k for each long gun.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast