View Poll Results: Which handguns to put away for the kids?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19

76 58.02%
  • M&P Core 9

3 2.29%
  • H&K USP9

24 18.32%
  • Something else

28 21.37%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which handguns to put away for the kids?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Phased Plasma Pistol in the 40-Watt Range

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If money is truly no object, a custom 1911. Parts, are plentiful and they would have an awsome family heirloom to pass to their kids from "Grampa".

Functionality, high mag capacity, general toughness... A glock 19 as others have stated. Hell, you could but them two or more depending on what one model 1911 you bought.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The firearms my sons appreciate the most are the ones they grew up shooting. Don't put them away, let the kids shoot
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

Pistol choice

HK USP 9mm
    15 round mags/ polymer & not as costly as HK factory metal magazines
    Reliable pistol with minimal maintenence
    Capability of extended service with no Recoil spring or other small parts replacement
    20,000+ round rated service life
    Duty-size pistol/ hammer fired (less ammo sensitive)
    rated for +p+ ammo
    Concealable with appropriate attire

Other choice: Glock 17 Gen. 2 or Gen. 3, with suitable parts replacement supplies (recoil springs, extractors, etc.), magazines

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    A buddy of mine is still shooting/carrying his dads old gen 2 g19 from the early 90's... Somewhere about 20 years old now and shoots just as well as my new Gen 3 19's. Its what made me go with the Glock 19 in the first place... All that aside the G19 also best fits all your requirements. I always recommend the 19
    Last edited by bighawk; 05-19-14 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    Not sure why you all want a glock to put away for a decade, those are throw away weapons.

A super nice Wilson combat, Nighthawk or a full on custom 1911 for me tyvm
    They have been the same for a 100 years and they'll be here in another 100.

Feedback Score
    I like your idea, and as long as the financial investment is within your budget, it can make a lot of sense. However, I would consider a few other issues as well, and therefore a few other guns.

You don't state if you have any girls, but girls frequently have smaller hands than boys. There are women in my family who cannot properly hold a Glock (at least not the Gen 3's). Additionally, you don't know how they will carry the gun. Longer grips are harder to conceal than shorter grips. There are plenty of times now when I need to wear a tucked in shirt, and a G19 will not conceal for me, but a G26 will. When I can conceal it, I just carry a G19 mag with an Xgrip adapter.

Young people do young people things, and wear young people clothes. No one knows what either of those will be in 14 years, but an uber concealable gun, suitable for deep cover, might be a sound idea as well. I would consider adding an airweight Centinial J-frame to the mix. Grips can be had to fit virtually any hand, they can be loaded with WC's if recoil is an isue up to +p .38's for better performance, and they can be carried in more locations on the body than just about anything else. I would avoid the all steel guns and the helium-filled lightweights due to the steels being harder to carry and the lightweights being harder to shoot. Especially if you have girls.

Finally, I would avoid any gun that is new to the market. I would not invest in a platform that does not have a solid history of success. If Glock can screw up the release of the Gen 4s, I wouldn't trust any manufacturer's recent introduction. Not for a gun that won't get wrung out for 14 years.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    I might feel the same way about a pistol that fit my needs well for 9 years. But are the OP's kids going to feel that way about old-tech they have no connection with?
    Wait...this is the logic offered for going with even-older-tech?

Feedback Score
    I have to agree with MistWolf, whatever you get them, get them started shooting early when they can safely handle the gun you got for them.

I would go with Glock 19, 10 mags, 1000 rounds in a ammo can, a couple simple holsters, and spare parts.

My wife is due in August and now ya all got me thinking , my 18 year old daughter has no interest in firearms and am hoping this next one has more of a interest.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Wait...this is the logic offered for going with even-older-tech?
    No, it's the logic of laying away a classic like a python or 1911 that is not likely to evolve versus a pistol that will incorporate new tech as it comes along. Imagine you are stashing a car for your kid. An older sports car might be appreciated. A 13 year old F-100, even with zero miles, not so much.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast