View Poll Results: Which handguns to put away for the kids?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19

76 58.02%
  • M&P Core 9

3 2.29%
  • H&K USP9

24 18.32%
  • Something else

28 21.37%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which handguns to put away for the kids?

Feedback Score
    When I'm gone they'll get whatever is left, including a legacy of freedom. That, I will ensure...

Feedback Score
    Anything that is all steel .

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I agree, start them young and let them grow with the gun. g19 would be a good choice, as would a sig or other quality pistol.

I see the concern. You wish to buy them in the instance of a ban, they are grandfathered. A few woes people did the same for their kids in the 60s before registration became the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I voted USP because I am a USP guy, but a G19 would be nice, too. I wouldn't worry about the plastic... especially if it's not being stored in direct sunlight (which I doubt).

If you're serious, I'd buy two pistols, parts, and tons of mags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glock 42 otherwise I'd do a gen 4 G19 with a grip reduction and finger grooves cut to fit smaller hands

...i think i misread the op, mine picks were based on if they were going to start shooting at an early age, if this is for when they grow up i'd go with the M&P core, since it is the most modern out of all the choices being its optic ready. Otherwise can't go wrong with a G17, G19, M&P9.
    Last edited by 12thman; 05-21-14 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    So my questions are:

1. Is anyone else doing this or am I being ridiculous?
    2. What would (did) you go with? Glock, S&W, H&K or something else?

These are handguns I am buying specifically for them. They will, of course, inherit my weapons as well.

Thank you for reading and your input!!!

Not silly at all. I started doing this some years ago. I have two sons so I really need to buy things in two's and four's (to cut down on the fighting).
    I concentrated on things that aren't made any more, but are considered semi-collectable. Here is my list so far:

HK
    M13 X 2
    M8 X 4

FN
    HP Alloy Framed X 8
    HP (Novak built) X 1
    HP (Ted Yost built) X 1
    P-35 (Nazi Proofed) X 1

STI
    2011 (USA Delta issued Consecutive) x 2

S&W
    3953 (Custom Shop gun made for G&R Tactical. Only two exist) X 1

Beretta
    92G-SD X 1
    92G (type Y variant) X 1
    92G X 1
    92 Elite II X 1
    92 Compact Type M X 1
    92SB Compact Type L X 1

Glock
    GEN 3 19 RTF2 (straight serrations/Consecutive) X 2

Colt
    M45 (with the USMC roll mark) X 1

If I think certain guns are either going to stop being made or possibly banned, I will buy some of those as well, but don't think I will be buying any currently produced pistols for awhile (as I own and shoot a lot of them already).

Some other suggestions is to stock 100 QUALITY 30rd mags (per child). 10-20 Hi-Capacity mags for popular pistols (HK, Glock, S&W, etc).

Good luck and keep at it! Your kids will be thankful that they had a father as forward thinking as you!

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 05-21-14 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I started my daughter out on a Glock 19 when she was 13--she turned 34 this year; She also likes wheel guns, but the Glock is still her go-to gun. My son also started at about the same age, prefers revolvers but handles semiautos well enough. I got both of them ARs 8 years ago.

What's in their heads is more important than what's in the gun rack...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's not silly at all, to me, and if it isn't to you, you shouldn't give a rat's arse what anyone else thinks.

I voted for the Glock. I don't own one, but it's got (IMHO) the longest history, best parts & mag avaliability of the choices you listed. I would buy whatever you choose & stash them as you proposed, and also buy at least one, or one for every child, to use as a shooter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    I have to agree with MistWolf, whatever you get them, get them started shooting early when they can safely handle the gun you got for them.

I would go with Glock 19, 10 mags, 1000 rounds in a ammo can, a couple simple holsters, and spare parts.

My wife is due in August and now ya all got me thinking , my 18 year old daughter has no interest in firearms and am hoping this next one has more of a interest.
    Don't give up on your older daughter. Neither of mine were much interested as teenagers beyond what I made them learn. Now that they are moms they are suddenly highly motivated and are still great shots with their G19s and AR15s. Now we are starting the oldest grandkid at 6 yrs with a Lil Rascal .22lr and he works that bolt like a WWI Tommy does his SMLE while nailing those clay targets. His layaways get as much action as any other except my carry G27 and AR.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The firearms my sons appreciate the most are the ones they grew up shooting. Don't put them away, let the kids shoot
    I agree with this and when I have children old enough will take this approach when they are ready but the firearms I appreciate most and enjoy shooting most are not the ones I grew up shooting. My father and grandfathers were hunting rifle guys who owned handguns but never carried them or took me out to shoot them. I actually am the one who got my father into handguns in the past 6 years or so and have actually got him into carrying and shooting regularly.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast