Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aero Precision Barrels

Feedback Score

Aero Precision Barrels

What's the word on Aero's barrels? Are they worth buying for a budget build?

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Which barrel in specific? AP list their Chrome Moly barrels as being MPI and HP tested. However they also list these barrels as having a "mil-spec" coating. The problem with this claim is that QPQ is a heat treatment in high-temperature salt baths, not a coating. Also, chrome lining is the only mil-spec coating out there according to the technical data package. AP is hurting its credibility by claiming something is mil-spec when it technically isn't as well as incorrectly listing QPQ as a coating.

I wouldn't say it is an inferior barrel. If AP had these barrels lead-lapped prior to QPQ than they would be a hell of a deal. For the price it isn't a bad option.

Feedback Score

Doc Williams
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

Feedback Score
    Not saying they're bad but if it's the QPQ treatment you're after, You may want to check out Ballistic Advantage as well.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd be interested in hearing from people who've used these, too.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have one of the AP 10.5" barrels coming, not sure when I'll get it built up and shoot it though. In the pics it looks very much like the BA barrels, and I've read that BA makes them but I have no idea if that is true or not.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. They actually listed the gas port diameter. I'm not sure I've seen that from other retailers. .077 for their 10.5
    Last edited by luckydube56; 05-22-14 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post
    I have one of the AP 10.5" barrels coming, not sure when I'll get it built up and shoot it though. In the pics it looks very much like the BA barrels, and I've read that BA makes them but I have no idea if that is true or not.
    That 10.5 looks tempting. Although I need another AR barrel like I need a hole in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydube56 View Post
    Interesting. They actually listed the gas port diameter. I'm not sure I've seen that from other retailers. .077 for their 10.5
    Damn. They sure did. That's nice.
    Last edited by markm; 05-22-14 at 15:47.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So, I finally got my 10.5" barrel in. It weighs exactly 19oz as advertised. A 0.078" drill bit just barely slides into the gas port (although I didn't put a micrometer on the bit to get the actual size). Nothing notable in terms of appearance, but the fit/finish is nice if that matters to anyone. The packing for shipping leaves a lot to be desired and it's really lucky this barrel didn't end up poking out the side of the box it was shipped in.

I also picked up one of their gas blocks on this order. It seems to be designed so that you push it up against the shoulder on the barrel rather than leaving a space the thickness of a handguard cap like I normally have done with other LP gas blocks. The gas port lines up perfectly without any gap at all. It comes with two knurled set screws, but no roll pin for the gas tube. Nothing notable in terms of appearance, looks pretty much like most other LP gas blocks other than having their logo on the side.

I literally just threw this thing together the other day and got a chance to shoot a little this evening. I basically zeroed it and shot it side by side with my LMT MRP 10.5" upper both suppressed and not. I really could tell little difference in the recoil and cycling of the two. They felt identical to me and even ejected brass in about the same direction. I'll be using this upper with the AP barrel with an H3 buffer for now. FWIW, with the H3 buffer or an A5H3 unsuppressed the brass ejects at about 3:30 and suppressed at about 2:00. The suppressor used was an AAC Mini-4. And I was using an LMT enhanced carrier, which can have some effect on ejection as well.

I've just barely shot it but I think this AP barrel is a tad overgassed, which is what I expected based on the port size. That said, it really seems very close to my factory MRP 10.5" barrel. You will want a pretty heavy buffer, or you could always use an adjustable gas block and turn it down some. I'd expect it to run on some pretty weak ammo with no gas regulation though, which is good for some people. I was shooting some of my bulk reloads with 54gr tracers and 24.5gr of WC844F powder...not hot but not all that weak either.

Feedback Score
    Great review. Thanks Krichbaum.

Doc Williams
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast