Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got selected as an SRT Medic!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I agree with you about doctors in the field. They can be a pain in the ass. You are absolutely correct in that a well-trained paramedic in the field is far more valuable than a physician. When I was EMS Director around here, I instructed the Paramedics that if a doctor showed up on scene, they were to ignore him or her. We had too many issues with dermatologists and Family Practice doctors showing up at an accident and start issuing orders. This lack of physician field competence certainly isn't universal, but it's not something I wanted the EMP-Ps to ever have to worry about sorting out in the field. If I ever happened to show up at a scene, or ride-along, I always made a conscious effort to just stand there with my hands in my pockets and my mouth shut while those guys did what they do. I can't think of a time when any medic out in the field ever needed me for anything other than heavy lifting. They were always polite enough to ask if I had anything to add, but I was always smart enough to say "no'.

Now...I thought we were talking about thoracotomies. There might come a time, in the field, when something really dramatic occurs. Then, an ER doc who knows how to do thoracotomies might be valuable. As Tactical EMS Medical Director, I eventually stopped doing entries. In reality, I was probably more valuable sitting in the TAC van drinking coffee in case of the unlikely event something would happen, like penetrating chest trauma. First line EMS...that's not my strong suit. My biggest contribution to the team was my medical license, my willingness to take responsibility for the medics, and my ability to write protocols. My ability to do a thoracotomy in the field was just never very helpful, as it turned out over 15 years.
    Thanks for your perspective. Docs are like everyone else (well, actually they are not, but you understand what I mean...), the whole bell curve: some are awesome, most are pretty good, some are walking disasters. My experience has had all three. The best TEMS medical director? A neurosurgeon (not my team, sadly). The worst? An ED doc (for our team, sadly). Go figure. What I appreciate about this forum, and others, is the ability to share perspectives and ideas with advanced providers because we come from such differing backgrounds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^ wonders which pouch will hold a Tuffier and fit on a plate carrier. How about a double shingle that would hold both a Tuffier and a tactical speculum.

Great discussion guys.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    ^^ wonders which pouch will hold a Tuffier and fit on a plate carrier. How about a double shingle that would hold both a Tuffier and a tactical speculum.

Great discussion guys.
    OMG...I wish I had thought to velcro a vaginal speculum, or better yet a rigid proctoscope, to my chest rig at a training exercise. I'm thinking the proctoscope over the back, in a scabbard Ninja-sword style. That would have been hilarious.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I'm putting mine just left of my Gold, commemorative ARFcom Tourniquet in a kryptek camo pouch!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I weep for the lost opportunity. Of all the practical jokes I pulled on those guys over the years, I can't believe I missed that one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It takes time to really click with the PD guys, it'll happen just don't try and force it. Ours love and respect our "docs" as they call us but they don't care about "you" for a while. Just like being new anywhere else, you have to prove yourself and to them it's a much higher/different standard. You'll love it though, awesome times

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you do not have one already pick up a copy of the ranger medic handbook. It has been echoed here already but the text will give you some great ideas on how to streamline your gear (biggest bang for your buck).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by citizensoldier16 View Post
    Use to be in Wilmington working for NHRMC. Now in Columbia, SC. Finally got around to changing my location in the profile.

I need to work on strengthening my core. Unfortunately they only supply us with armor plates in the front. That plus the medical gear I'm required to wear up front makes my armor very front-heavy and I ended up with pretty bad back pain after an 8 hour training session at North American Rescue a few weeks back. Any suggestions on how to work those muscles? I'm hopeful they'll eventually supply the medics with hard plates front and back...but that wont be until next budget year if at all. Any thoughts?
    If it is just balance you want you could buy a training plate or cheap steel plate to go in the back. Or a cheap and heavy ceramic so you get balance and protection.

Feedback Score
    Congrats!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123