Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower Receiver Out of Spec?

Feedback Score

Lower Receiver Out of Spec?

I have a brand new Global Tactical/Stag lower receiver that seems to be out of spec. Please take a look at the photo and see if you can help me find a solution.

Notice the ledge on the front of the magazine well. That is the bottom edge of the upper receiver. When I try to seat a magazine, the upper receiver makes contact with the front of the mag.

This keeps the magazine from being inserted far enough to lock into place.

I suspect that the front take down pin hole on the lower was not drilled properly. With both take down pins in place, the upper receiver is forced to the rear causing it to overlap the magwell.

I thought at first that the upper receiver was out of spec, but I tried 5 others with the same results. Has anyone else seen this? What would the fix be?

Could I bevel that edge to make the mag seat or should I send the lower back for replacement?

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen."--- Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Contact Denny, he seems like the kind of guy to make it right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    Contact Denny, he seems like the kind of guy to make it right.
    +1 He is the kinda guy who'll make it right. I have 2 GT lowers that look and work great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrack223 View Post
    +1 He is the kinda guy who'll make it right. I have 2 GT lowers that look and work great.
    I emailed Denny, but haven't gotten a reply back yet. It's a shame that I had to fully assemble the lower in order to discover this problem. I also found the magwell to be a bit tight and noticed that some of my mags wouldn't be able to drop free either. My serial number is the 6XX range.

I've build about 10 lowers in the past couple of years, but this is the first Stag lower I've built. I've very had good luck with Rock River Arms, CMMG and DPMS lowers, but so far I am not impressed with the Stag.

I wanted Denny's lower for a 6.8 build because it didn't have any caliber markings on it.

If I do send it back I will have to take it apart and then pay another FFL transfer fee.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen."--- Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    I have a Stag as well. Many people haven't had a problem with them, so don't sell them short based on just one bad sample. Their lowers have not been known to have issues, so see if they will make it right for you.

Also, I checked my mag well and it definitely doesn't have that lip.

Feedback Score
    E-mail does take a while. Just call him. I live just south of his shop, and I run up there in person. He's always busy as hell.

http://global-tactical.com/index.asp...TION=CONTACTUS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrack223 View Post
    E-mail does take a while. Just call him. I live just south of his shop, and I run up there in person. He's always busy as hell.

http://global-tactical.com/index.asp...TION=CONTACTUS
    I called Denny and he told me that he would replace the lower for me. He also thought that it might be out of spec, but he told me not to worry as his stuff is guaranteed forever.

The downside now is that I have to strip the lower and pay another FFL transfer fee for the replacement.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-Bob View Post
    The downside now is that I have to strip the lower and pay another FFL transfer fee for the replacement.
    If he is the MFG he can send the new back to you direct, unless your state law precludes that.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Correct me if I am wrong, however I though that Joe citizen can send a long gun (stripped or not) via a common carrier (UPS, FEDEX, DHL) to a manufacturer if it was going for service or repair? He should also be able to do the same for you since it is already purchased and in your possession.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Did some checking maybe this will assist.

Firearms shipping laws, in and of themselves, are surprisingly straightforward. According to Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the Bureau of the Treasury Department that regulates the nation's firearms trade, they boil down to this:

1) You can't mail handguns. You must send them via a private carrier, such as UPS or FedEx.

2) You can send long guns-- rifles and shotguns-- via the Postal Service or a private shipper.

3) You are required to tell the shipper that there's a gun in the package.

4) Neither you nor the shippers can label or mark the package in any way or fashion as containing a gun.

5) You can send and receive gun parts with no restrictions. As long as the parts don't add up to a complete gun (or a receiver, which in the eyes of the law is a complete gun), you can send and receive a barrel, a firing pin, grips or other components in any manner your preferences and pocketbook dictate.

6) You can send a gun to any resident of your own state, whether or not that person is a federal licensee (gun dealer, manufacturer, collector, gunsmith or importer). Outside your state, you can send the gun only to a licensee. The instate/out-of-state distinction is made, an ATF spokesman says, because: "The Treasury Department's authority in these matters is derived from the interstate commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution." If a gun doesn't move across a state line, it's not interstate commerce.

Postal Service: Handguns cannot be mailed; they must be delivered by a private shipper. You can send a long gun to any resident of your own state, but only to a federal licensee out of state. USPS recommends, but does not require, sending guns by registered mail, its most secure option. Packages cannot contain any markings that would identify the contents as a gun.

UPS: Handguns and long guns are accepted for shipment, but only for repair, replacement or customization, i.e. warranty service or gunsmithing. Handguns must be sent via Next Day Air. Long guns can still be sent via ground service. Either sender or recipient must be federally licensed; no private party to private party. All guns must be sent from a UPS Customer Counter. The Authorized Shipping Outlets found in strip malls, supermarkets and shopping centers nationwide (the pack 'n' ships) are prohibited from accepting guns because UPS interprets the federal gun laws as requiring an actual UPS employee to accept the package, and the Authorized Outlets are independently owned and operated. No guns are accepted in unstaffed drop boxes. You cannot mark or label your package as containing firearms. UPS stamps all packages "Adult Signature Required," mandating that an adult sign for the shipment.

FedEx: Handguns and long guns are accepted for shipment. All must be shipped Priority Air Overnight. FedEx has always handled guns via air because it began as an air-freight company and only added ground service two years ago, when it purchased a ground shipper. Either sender or recipient must be federally licensed; no private party to private party. Guns are accepted at any staffed office or station that handles FedEx shipments, including the independently owned and operated pack 'n' ships. Guns are not accepted in unstaffed drop boxes. Guns must not be capable of firing; you must remove the firing pin, disconnect the barrel or otherwise render the weapon inoperable. You cannot mark or label your package as containing firearms, and names readily identified with guns--Glock, Winchester, Smith & Wesson, what have you-- must be abbreviated or otherwise disguised, i.e. "G.I." for "Glock Inc." FedEx requires an adult to sign for the shipment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast