Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 setscrew adjustable gas block review

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. Installing one of these on one of your guns will mess you up across the board. Over gas B.S. becomes intolerable.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Update...

I didnt get a chance to put as many rounds through the rifle as I would have liked this am. But here was my paragraph from my post in the Suppressed SBR with LW barrel thread. I was shooting 3 Suppressed SBR's and then a 11.5 that hasn't got its KAC can in yet. You can link to the other thread and my post #11 on the first page. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ghtweight-SBRs Ill post the video here also..

11.5 LW BCM barreled upper with SLR gas Block. Tubbs flat wire and H Buffer, Surefire Socom 556 RC. ALL 5.56 AMMO

My goal today was to figure out the gas settings and buffer weights and spring combo with this rifle. UN-suppressed with Tubbs flat wire and H buffer would run but short stroke on setting 8. Had to have it on 9 to lock back on empty mags. Would still run and cycle the next round. Brass would not hit deflector. 5 oclock position. On setting 6, with a H2 and carbine spring, I would have the same issue. So setting 9 with the Tubbs H1 set up and setting 7 with H2 carbine spring ran just fine. Brass at 4 oclock. Running the Socom 556 RC on there put the brass between 2 and 3 oclock. Lock back on every empty mag. I put a H2 on one of my SBR lowers and the Tubbs and H1 in another. I would do 10 round strings of fire and then swap lowers and go back and forth. Ive come to conclude that the tubbs has MORE "twang" and is harsher then the H2 carbine spring set up. I did this on all 4 of the SBRs I had out there. And the H2 carbine set up had faster follow up shots on target with less movement. H2 just felt a lot more solid. End of that debate for me. I put over 400 rounds through the rifles just going back and forth. Shot about 800 rounds total today. Put about 300 through this one. Another note. I did not notice any real difference between the Socom Rc and the Mini on blowback. Probably because of the adjustable gas block. But the sound is louder on the mini. Obvously. I didn't shoot them right after one another in a video. Sorry about that. With this rifle, I saw one about one inch to 1 and 1/4 at 50 yards drop from the can attached. Roughly. I previously had the M4-2k on there and swapped that to my 12.5 and this now has the Socom 556 RC, and option of the mini.

So that was my take away from the 11.5 LW BCM barrel with SLR. I was able to find that "one click away" position from running vs not running without a can. After firing, the adjustment was a little gritty the first click and then went away after turning back to its position. The rifle is the second one I pick up in the video.

Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-13-14 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Did you try the Tubb spring with the H2? That's actually where I'm starting my MK18 build that I'm doing now; seems like it'll make a solid combo.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Did you try the Tubb spring with the H2? That's actually where I'm starting my MK18 build that I'm doing now; seems like it'll make a solid combo.
    I never put in the Tubbs with the H2 in this set up. I had a Tubbs and a H3 in my MK18 (suppressed) and still would be at 1-2 o'clock with force. I had a H2 in there first, but wasn't enough. I never measured my gas port, but I was having some serious overgas issues suppressed. It would run the very cheapest ammo (tul) with a H2 and carbine spring un-suppressed. I ended up selling the MK18 upper last month. The amount of gas coming back was crazy compared to the other SBRs I had. Was going to put an adjustable gas block on it, but just sold it as is. I built this 11.5 LW with the cash from the MK18 upper. Ill try to find a picture of the lower after 150ish rounds with a can on it. Looks worse then some of mine after putting 750 rounds through em in one day. I had very high hopes for the Tubbs and thought it would softer more constant recoil and no twang. And was surprised. I had to check to make sure I had it in there.. I bought 4 of them with 4 more buffers. Just went for it all at once thinking one would be great and have to buy one for every SBR rifle. Guess it was a few hundred dollar mistake. I did not try cutting coils.. Maybe another day..

Update with pic. Here is the pic of the lower. Its not "that bad". Seen worse at higher round count, but for only 150ish rounds, looks like crap to me.

Attachment 27945
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-13-14 at 17:28.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Interesting. I'm using a Syrac though. Just curious. Thanks!
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Interesting. I'm using a Syrac though. Just curious. Thanks!
    The adjustable gas block is the ticket for the MK18. It will be a much more pleasant rifle to shoot. That's for sure!! Ill give the Tubbs another try before I give up on it. I have just been using the H2 with carbine spring for so long, maybe Im just bias to that combo.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would guess the reason the Tubbs feels harsher than carbine spring is because the Tubbs is closer to a Rifle length than carbine length spring. I called Tubbs years ago when if first bought one and was instructed to cut of a number of coils for the carbine.
    Am running the Tubbs in an A5 RE now, as well as the SLR. Very please with SLR, still evaluating the Tubbs.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    I would guess the reason the Tubbs feels harsher than carbine spring is because the Tubbs is closer to a Rifle length than carbine length spring. I called Tubbs years ago when if first bought one and was instructed to cut of a number of coils for the carbine.
    Am running the Tubbs in an A5 RE now, as well as the SLR. Very please with SLR, still evaluating the Tubbs.
    When I get some more motivation to spend time with the tubbs, I will give it another go. Thanks for the info. The SLR works as I thought I would and pleased with it so far.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Man, reading all this positive feedback on the SLR makes me excited to build another upper. A Noveske 17" JLZ is in the works, and I believe an 11.5 SBR is on deck!

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Just updating my rounds through the SLR gas block. I have not hit 1000 suppressed rounds with it yet like I talked about, but I'm at a total round count of 700 ish. And about 350 suppressed over the last few weeks. No failures or issues so far. Im waiting to clean the rifle and adjust the gas block after a higher suppressed round count to see if Ill be able to adjust it/tightness of screw, etc. Gun was clean and lubed from the start and have only lubed the BCG since. Have not adjusted the GB since I got it dialed in. I'm going to see if next weekend I can run it a little harder.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-26-14 at 10:07. Reason: spelling

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast