Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 setscrew adjustable gas block review

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I haven't spent a ton of time messing with it. But I do remember wanting to go down a little bit more in the beginning, and one more click wouldn't cycle. I'm happy with the setting it's at now though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    No experience with the Syrac, only SLR. An obvious advantage of the SLR is that only a 2mm Allen wrench is needed for adjustment, unlike the Syrac, which needs an Allen wrench and another tool to depress the spring loaded projection which I presume locks the adjustment screw.
    Over on BE.com, the SLR gets higher marks than the Syrac, FWIW, as some people report that the Syrac has a tendency to freeze its adjustability after a lot of rounds, but no report of that happening with the SLR.
    The Gen 2 syrac can be manipulated with just an Allen wrench.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    sorry for bad info. last i looked at were gen 1.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    sorry for bad info. last i looked at were gen 1.
    Np. Syrac continues to improve their design along with companies like SLR.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    One wrench to adjust is nice... but one wrench or two wrench to adjust doesn't matter to me. You can just stick something in the hand guard to release the detent on the gen 1 Syrac anyway.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wow! 120 degrees seems like a lot. 360 on the Syrac openned my gun up like crazy on Saturday.. and I had brass boinking out a 1 o'clock. I'll be interested to see if that give you a degree of fine tuning. I guess the thread pitch will dictate that... or the shape of the gas restriction device
    How many clicks per turn does the Syrac have; the only ones I've installed have been for others so I've never actually counted. More would seem like greater ability to fine tune. Am I wrong there?
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    # of clicks per turn is only one factor in how small a change each click makes. A major factor is the pitch of the adjustment screw. The finer the pitch, the less the screw actually moves with each clilck, all else being equal. Suspect SLR went with only 3 clicks per turn to maximize the chances of returning to a given setting, plus easy confirmation of being at a setting and not between 2.
    Have read that Gen2 Syrac has 4 clicks per turn, but cannot confirm.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    # of clicks per turn is only one factor in how small a change each click makes. A major factor is the pitch of the adjustment screw. The finer the pitch, the less the screw actually moves with each clilck, all else being equal. Suspect SLR went with only 3 clicks per turn to maximize the chances of returning to a given setting, plus easy confirmation of being at a setting and not between 2.
    Have read that Gen2 Syrac has 4 clicks per turn, but cannot confirm.
    Correct. And thread pitch is what limits thread DEPTH. Too fine on the pitch and thread depth must be reduced. SLR has apparently sacrificed some finer adjustment for more rugged threads via increased thread depth and width.

Everything is a tradeoff. This isn't to say that another gas block with finer threads is inadequate.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 05-25-14 at 17:30.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    How many clicks per turn does the Syrac have; the only ones I've installed have been for others so I've never actually counted. More would seem like greater ability to fine tune. Am I wrong there?
    Maybe 4? In other words 90 degree increments. I'm only guessing, because usually when I'm messing with it, I end up searching for the spot the detent will reset in.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Maybe 4? In other words 90 degree increments. I'm only guessing, because usually when I'm messing with it, I end up searching for the spot the detent will reset in.
    Sorry guys...I know thread pitch ultimately determines the ability to fine tune. I meant to say that going off the assumption that these 2 blocks look like the threads are 10-32 (i.e. All things being equal).

Markm,

We're u able to get a fine enough adjustment?

BufordT,

Did the SLR leave you wanting a slightly finer setting?

Thanks!
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast