Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 setscrew adjustable gas block review

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks! It's interesting that you say that about the Tubb spring. I had best results with the H buffer in the std RE over the H2 or H3 but the rifle just felt more violent though it didn't move around as much. Nice to know I'm not nuts! Great review dude!
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When I read Tubb or Springco, the whole message gets scrambled.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hope to add a couple of data points next Tuesday.
    Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Here's a short video I made. A5H1 buffer and Tubbs spring on gas block position 5. Shooting one handed and holding the phone cam with the other. Fiocchi .223 55gr.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    The video is most impressive as it shows the balance of action motion you have achieved. Well done Sir.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    The video is most impressive as it shows the balance of action motion you have achieved. Well done Sir.
    Thank you. I wasn't holding the gun very tight at all in order to best demonstrate said balance.

I'm certainly no Panteo productions.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Experimented with different buffers and settings on the SLR.
    Variables: VLTOR H0 or H2, SLR settings 3 4 and 5.
    Fixed items: 16" midlength gas barrel, Dynamic Resistance brake, VLTOR A5 RE, Tubbs flatwire action spring.
    Ammo was about 120 rounds of 223, 10 rounds of 556, shooting offhand at 6" paper plates at 25 yards, using T1 RDS.
    With the H2 buffer recoil was soft, had some dot dip and movement to right.
    With H0 buffer, recoil was a bit snappier than wilth H2, but dot got back to target quicker.
    Varying SLR settings: 3 gave mouse fart action, but did have 1 short stroke cycle, so default was 4 for most of shooting. Did try setting 5, resulting in a bit more bounce to the carbine.
    In trying to eliminate dot dip and shift to right with recoil, I tried different support and strong arm positions. Strong arm elbow tucked in tight imrpoved shot to shot times as there was less dot movement, but best results were with this and left/support arm stretched out a la Costa. Never tried this as it seemed too stylish or exaggerated, but damn, it did help keep the dot hardly moving during rapid pairs.
    Settled on SLR setting 4 as every empty mag ended with bolt locked back. Sticking with H0 rather than H2 or H1 as I like the quicker cycling, and believe less mass going forward might reduce dot dip.
    Did not compare Tubbs vs VLTOR Green spring this time, will leave that for next range session.
    Seems my comp might be too effective, with the muzzle/dop dip, but since changing how the carbine is gripped corrected this, will leave it be.
    Noticed that after 30-50 rounds, changing SLR settings felt a little crunchy, but moving screw 1 or 2 clicks restored clicks to being very distinct.
    Overall, am very pleased with SLR gas block, Tubbs spring and H0 buffer. No Pro here, but out of around 130 shots, only 4 escaped off the 2 paper plates, shooting at a fairly rapid pace.
    Last edited by mpom; 06-03-14 at 17:07.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Experimented with different buffers and settings on the SLR.
    Variables: VLTOR H0 or H2, SLR settings 3 4 and 5.
    Fixed items: 16" midlength gas barrel, Dynamic Resistance brake, VLTOR A5 RE, Tubbs flatwire action spring.
    Ammo was about 120 rounds of 223, 10 rounds of 556, shooting offhand at 6" paper plates at 25 yards, using T1 RDS.
    With the H2 buffer recoil was soft, had some dot dip and movement to right.
    With H0 buffer, recoil was a bit snappier than wilth H2, but dot got back to target quicker.
    Varying SLR settings: 3 gave mouse fart action, but did have 1 short stroke cycle, so default was 4 for most of shooting. Did try setting 5, resulting in a bit more bounce to the carbine.
    In trying to eliminate dot dip and shift to right with recoil, I tried different support and strong arm positions. Strong arm elbow tucked in tight imrpoved shot to shot times as there was less dot movement, but best results were with this and left/support arm stretched out a la Costa. Never tried this as it seemed too stylish or exaggerated, but damn, it did help keep the dot hardly moving during rapid pairs.
    Settled on SLR setting 4 as every empty mag ended with bolt locked back. Sticking with H0 rather than H2 or H1 as I like the quicker cycling, and believe less mass going forward might reduce dot dip.
    Did not compare Tubbs vs VLTOR Green spring this time, will leave that for next range session.
    Seems my comp might be too effective, with the muzzle/dop dip, but since changing how the carbine is gripped corrected this, will leave it be.
    Noticed that after 30-50 rounds, changing SLR settings felt a little crunchy, but moving screw 1 or 2 clicks restored clicks to being very distinct.
    Overall, am very pleased with SLR gas block, Tubbs spring and H0 buffer. No Pro here, but out of around 130 shots, only 4 escaped off the 2 paper plates, shooting at a fairly rapid pace.
    Thank you for that info.

I too found that using the extended support arm helped steady the rifle. That is typically how I shoot anyhow at close distances.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Ran another 60 rounds through and have come to a decision that I prefer the recoil pulse of the std Vltor A5 spring to the Tubbs flat wire spring, despite that it means a little more gun movement. The Vltor spring just feels smoother while cycling. This is purely a personal decision and is obviously not performance oriented. But I like the softer shove of the Vltor spring versus the sharper shove of the Tubbs spring. I have a feeling that in a heavier rifle, it wouldn't matter much, if at all. But mine is 7.21lbs without a mag and seems to react more to the Tubbs than my old BCM 14.5" middy with std FSB, STR stock, MOE HG with SF light in an IWC mount....which is nearly a pound heavier in weight. On that gun, there is virtually no difference in feel (and the Tubbs provides less muzzle dip). On this rifle (the "Handy Rifle"), the recoil is sharper and the difference in muzzle dip is not enough for me to stick with the Tubbs.

The good news: gas settings have not had to be changed on the SLR Sentry 7 between the springs.

I continue to be happy with this GB. As one of the previous posters stated, all you need to do to change gas settings is rotate the selector screw one notch in either direction from its current setting and it frees itself up quite nicely.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    These things are so nice with an industry that refuses to gas guns correctly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast