Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavier Buffer & Buffer Spring: Worth It?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Ran a Blue SprinCo Spring and H2 Buffer in my old 6920 with Great Success Was my favorite Combination... and ran on anything I fed it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think a heavier buffer (H to H2) mitigates some recoil impulse, maybe even to the point where it's noticeable. A5 system...that is noticeable. Best mod I ever did to get me back on target quicker is a BattleComp, and practice.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    Ran a Blue SprinCo Spring and H2 Buffer in my old 6920 with Great Success Was my favorite Combination... and ran on anything I fed it.
    I used to recommend this exact setup. It's still a solid one, but using a heavier buffer (H3) and a std power spring (as opposed to the blue XP spring) was even smoother when shooting.

They will both work 100%.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been experimenting. Right now it is the blue springco with an H2 in mid-length 16" barrels. My brass just pops out about 4 feet instead of blasting out 10 ft..

Mid-length 14.5 barrels get std. spring and H buffer (I think they are slightly under gassed). No problem with .223 practice ammo so far in either 16" or 14.5" barrels.

Colt carbine should run fine on an H2 and blue or std. spring. Or something like that. Enjoy your rifle.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    I've been experimenting. Right now it is the blue springco with an H2 in mid-length 16" barrels. My brass just pops out about 4 feet instead of blasting out 10 ft..

Mid-length 14.5 barrels get std. spring and H buffer (I think they are slightly under gassed). No problem with .223 practice ammo so far in either 16" or 14.5" barrels.

Colt carbine should run fine on an H2 and blue or std. spring. Or something like that. Enjoy your rifle.
    I'm interested in this.... I'm currently Running a Blue Sprinco Spring and H Buffer in my 16" BCM Midlength... wondering if I should jump up to an H2?

I still want to be able to run PMC .223 if need be, and be able to operate when Action starts getting dry and in Cold AND Hot Weather

So what Rifle are you using this setup in?
    Last edited by HD1911; 05-27-14 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    I'm interested in this.... I'm currently Running a Blue Sprinco Spring and H Buffer in my 16" BCM Midlength... wondering if I should jump up to an H2?

I still want to be able to run PMC .223 if need be, and be able to operate when Action starts getting dry and in Cold AND Hot Weather

So what Rifle are you using this setup in?
    Switch to a Springco WHITE can likely run an H3. But definitely an H2.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a simple way to test spring/buffer combos. If there is a "jolt" or "impulse" at the end of the recoil stroke the buffer is hitting the end of the buffer tube extension. If you can find a combo that has barely detectable impulse at the end of the recoil stroke with the weakest ammo you want to shoot then that is about as heavy as you can go with a reliable buffer and spring combo.

A heavier buffer and a lighter spring is a better compromise than a heavy spring and a lighter buffer. A heavy spring can cause the bolt to outrun the magazine lift and cause "bolt over base"malfunctions.

The Vltor A5 is about as good as it gets for flexibility in ammo power/gas port. It uses the 42 coil rifle spring and rifle weight buffer which is more forgiving of barrel gas than the 35 coil carbine spring and lighter buffers, specially with a CAR gas system (which I think was a very poor design compromise - and it gets even worse with a 16" barrel).
    Last edited by DBR; 05-27-14 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    I have a simple way to test spring/buffer combos. If there is a "jolt" or "impulse" at the end of the recoil stroke the buffer is hitting the end of the buffer tube extension. If you can find a combo that has barely detectable impulse at the end of the recoil stroke with the weakest ammo you want to shoot then that is about as heavy as you can go with a reliable buffer and spring combo.

A heavier buffer and a lighter spring is a better compromise than a heavy spring and a lighter buffer. A heavy spring can cause the bolt to outrun the magazine lift and cause "bolt over base"malfunctions.

The Vltor A5 is about as good as it gets for flexibility in ammo power/gas port. It uses the 42 coil rifle spring and rifle weight buffer which is more forgiving of barrel gas than the 35 coil carbine spring and lighter buffers, specially with a CAR gas system (which I think was a very poor design compromise - and it gets even worse with a 16" barrel).
    I agree 100% and have given similar advice as well.

The nasty little secret of the carbine length gas system is that it took Colt the better part of a decade to get it to function properly in the XM series.

The carbine length gas system is an abortion on anything but a 12.5"or shorter barrel, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    So should I technically be looking at ditching my Blue Spring in my BCM Mid and jump back down to a white, and start trying H2 and maybe H3 Buffers?

I just liked how the slightly stronger spring felt, with a less sluggish return to battery when making ready or making a mag change and sending the bolt home.... just seem to feel more confident with that.

Feedback Score
    The concept of wanting a soft recoiling AR, and yet buying 16" carbine-length 6920s escapes me.

OP, if you wanted something that shoots softly, you should have started with a 14.5" mid-length AR>
    Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast