Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Forgot how much I hate my 642

Feedback Score
    I've got a no-lock 642 that is my preferred concealed carry piece and I try to shoot 20 rounds once a week just because of that.
    I also have a 342 AirLite scandium frame with titanium cylinder. I shot 20 rounds through it once and that was enough!
    Best,
    Mike

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=CornCod;1937928]It's funny how back in the early eighties when I first started handgunning, I was usually the only guy on the line with an auto. Now I am the only guy on the line with a revolver./QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth!
    Lots of young guys with plastics.

Feedback Score
    Let's take a look at the historical perspective of the "snub nose" for a moment. The Detective and Chief's Specials all derived from the desires of long-time gun toters to ease the burden for those not expected to engage in gunfights on a regular basis. Most of the original target audiences (detectives and admin/support types) usually maintained larger service weapons and/or access to long guns when trouble was anticipated. When trouble threatened or dark clouds gathered, the bigger/better came out of the closet. The snub was there for those times when threat assessments went awry.

When we discuss arms for those unlikely to train we come back to the revolver based on simplicity and portability. Simplicity is a valid concern. I submit portability really is not unless the END USER (not necessarily the purchaser!) intends to carry concealed. In many cases, the spouse/GF has minimal experience and interest in the arms under consideration. They are often humoring an enthusiast when they accompany them to the gun store. Hand them a big heavy gun, which a medium frame steel revolver IS, and you can see the wheels turning in the brain: you mean I'm going to have to WORK at this? The airweight comes out because the sales clerk sees a tremble and now the chore (going to the gun shop) seems less impactful. A hesitant smile or shrug is taken as the sign of a good fit and the purchase is made.

As an instructor, I deal with this all too often. One poor woman showed up for a Basic Pistol class with a one of those Rich Wyatt custom 637 Smiths. After her first full cylinder she was already developing a nasty bruise in the web of her hand. It would benefit all if more folks tried before they bought. Keep that in mind the next time someone shows an interest in your J-frame at the range.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Use standard pressure loads, not +P if you are recoil sensitive. 148 wadcutters will be very soft shooting and have worked for a lot of folks in self defense situations. There is better ammo available now days (Gold Dot), try and see what you are comfortable shooting.
    The older model, smaller CT Lasergrips work well in a pocket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
    My guess is that a 642 will likely be used within 15 feet in most defensive situations. More practice can help or you could sell it and commit to another platform. Just be sure to carry.

And that's why several ladies I know chose one. And they are adept with them in that role. They are not interested in shutting down an active shooter in a mall. Just peeling some cretin off of them. Depending on the mission; they may still be superb for any shooter.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    If extreme conceal-ability can be compromised a bit, these are the best Centennial grips I have found so far: http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=7868
    They are actually designed for the Centennial and only extend about 1/4" below the frame. For most people they improve the trigger reach and they "pad" the backstrap to reduce felt recoil.
    Those look interesting, I would like to see a side-by-side comparison with standard boot grips. I would ALSO like to see someone replicate the dimensions of the CT LG-405 sans the laser itself. It seems you can get backstrap coverage but not a flush fit to the frame bottom several places (Hogue, Butler Creek, etc.) Grips that don't add to the length of the frame never seem to cover the backstrap. I want both. This would seem to be the best of both worlds, especially since many J's see mainly pocket duty.

Feedback Score
    I've found the Pachmayr Compac and the Hogue Monogrip feel the best and dampen recoil of hot loads the best in my 642, but they do compromise concealability somewhat.

My issue is not the exposed backstrap or dangling little finger - it's the exposed metal of the trigger guard hitting my middle finger knuckle. The included boot grip falls short on this, as does the otherwise better grip S&W includes with their all steel j-frames.

The Pachmayr Compac Professional is what I have found offers the best compromise in maintaining a low profile for concealment while offering more padding under the trigger guard.

I've never used a CT grip - the thought of paying almost as much for the grip as I did for the gun doesn't sit well with my wallet.
    Last edited by moonshot; 07-10-14 at 09:41.

Feedback Score
    For reduced recoil and accurate quick fire rate, I prefer Corbon DPX 110 gr +P (Barnes copper bullet) over the Speer 135 +P Gold Dots. Both show good penetration as per link:
    http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel..._CorbonDPX.htm

I'm using CT Laser grips ... easy to pocket carry for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234