Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgot how much I hate my 642

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Forgot how much I hate my 642

With summer here my 642 will be getting the nod a few times a month when the 19 or 26 won't cut it. As I can now find 38 in stores, decided to freshen up my shooting and took it to the range today.

Haven't carried it or shot it since last summer and damn, I forgot how much it kicks and how poor I am with it past 15 feet.

I consider myself a good shot and rather tolerant of harsh loads, but man. Woof.

I have a love hate relationship with this pistol like none other.

I can't believe it gets recommended for chicks or first time carriers.

Last edited by HighDesert; 05-25-14 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    I think the only reason so many recommend revolvers for the ladies is the ease in loading and unloading. It certainly isnt due to less recoil.

I got my wife a 4" model 15 for the house. The weight helps with the recoil. She just has trouble working the slides on any of my pistols.

The only pistol she can operate is Beretta. Tomcat with the tip up barrel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree on the larger revolvers - my wife's gun (stolen from me) is a 686 plus 4" that is just like shooting a 22 with 38s and pull is like buttter

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A revolver is a good recommendation for someone with little experience and little desire to train regularly, because of simplicity. A Model 642 would be a good recommendation for someone with more experience and who is willing to train regularly. If it is not a carry piece and used for home defense, in my opinion bigger is better. A K Frame or L Frame with 4"-6" barrel would be a better choice. I would never recommend a small revolver for concealed carry to a person who is small of stature without letting them shoot one of mine first.

My wife has 2 J Frames and she is very accurate with both revolvers. They do have a bit of recoil and some people don't tolerate it well. She can fire 100-150 rounds of standard velocity lead cartridges and a few defensive rounds during a range session without complaining. She only shoots 4 or 5 times a year though.

Rubber grips that cover the back strap make a noticeable difference on a J Frame. Anyone who shoots a J Frame regularly should try a set.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP- What are your intentions for this thread, and how can we help you?

The J's are "always guns" for their portability, but aren't always a good fit for for shooter. Certain techniques and support gear are helpful. You might take a look at these threads for the experiences of other members running Js and see what might help you out as well.

S&W 442 or other J-frame as sole self-defense weapon
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...defense-weapon

Project: Break my J frame
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...eak-my-J-frame
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I shot mine quite a bit. It has been a long time since I have thought much about the recoil. I think it mainly comes from not gripping the gun correctly. Unfortunately, the correct grip seems to come more from practice more than any particular technique. Or I may just have killed off my nerves with my Scandium J-frame.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aguila327 View Post
    I got my wife a 4" model 15 for the house. The weight helps with the recoil. She just has trouble working the slides on any of my pistols.
    Thank you for that. I feel like I've been enabling mine. I've tried, even tried to have her exercise, but she just can't consistently rack the slide of certain automatics.
    Before anyone says practice, she can't drive well either, and she's been doing that for 20 years.

Feedback Score
    I've seen women slighter than my wife work a Sig 226 in .357sig without complaining. I'm convinced that it also takes a "can do" mindset to perform well at any task.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The airweight J frame is a conundrum for me. They are seductively easy to carry. Sadly, I do not shoot them well either. This is coming from someone who won a national championship with a 4" S&W Model 19, so don't feel bad that they don't seem to be a good fit for you either.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    My guess is that a 642 will likely be used within 15 feet in most defensive situations. More practice can help or you could sell it and commit to another platform. Just be sure to carry.

Mine gets carried a lot more in this hot humid weather here this time of year. When cooler weather comes I will be carrying one of my semi autos.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast