Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forgot how much I hate my 642

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    The airweight J frame is a conundrum for me. They are seductively easy to carry. Sadly, I do not shoot them well either. This is coming from someone who won a national championship with a 4" S&W Model 19, so don't feel bad that they don't seem to be a good fit for you either.
    Conundrum is the best way to describe it.

Had it for about 3 years and I cannot deny how awesome of a bug it is - it carries, draws and points so perfectly and is an absolutely perfect bug/get off me gun.

I just hate the pull and recoil w the loads I have confidence in.

I only carry it as a primary maybe 10 times a year so I'm not too worried as it isn't my main platform (Glock 26 or 19) and I would never sell it.

Might try an apex kit to at least fix up the pull - don't want to change out grips as they are perfect for ease of draw and pocket carry. All the others seem a bit too big or too sticky.

I think I just need to love it for what it is and it shoot more.

Apex kit worth it?

If anyone has any recs for grips that don't add bulk, please advise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    I just hate the pull and recoil w the loads I have confidence in.
    Try the Hornady Critical Defense 110gr (standard pressure), the Gold Dot 125 (standard pressure), or a 148 wadcutter. They are not optimal choices, but decent alternatives when recoil is a concern.

Might try an apex kit to at least fix up the pull - don't want to change out grips as they are perfect for ease of draw and pocket carry. All the others seem a bit too big or too sticky.

I think I just need to love it for what it is and it shoot more.

Apex kit worth it?

If anyone has any recs for grips that don't add bulk, please advise.
    If Michael de Bethencourt or Claude Werner are within reach, their snub specific training would be a big help to you in getting the most out of the gun.

I like the CT laser grips. There are several options in single and combined materials. Make sure they work with your speed loaders.

The Apex duty/carry J frame kits lighten and smooth out the trigger pull. I have them in a couple of guns. As with all such kits double check ignition reliability, particularly with Winchester and CCI primers.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Off topic...what base plate is that on the g26? I'm running +2s but that looks nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My casual wear pocket gun is a S&W 640 and has been for something like 20 years. This is the standard weight J frame and I have no issues with it. The J-Frame's grip makes it easier to grab from a pocket holster and its profile makes it more snag free than some smaller automatics with sharp, angular slides.

I keep it loaded with Gold Dot 135 grain JHP +P. If I was running a lighter J frame I would run a standard velocity load, probably wadcutters. At this point I am not looking for expansion as much as something that will make a true .357 hole and be controllable. I consider the J-frame to be a 21 foot and in gun for upper body hits and 10 feet and in for head shots.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 05-25-14 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    I shot an airweight .38 once, couldn't stand it, the cylinder release cut into my thumb. I like 44 Mag in a full size revolver though.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingball911 View Post
    Off topic...what base plate is that on the g26? I'm running +2s but that looks nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAP industries floor plate - adds absolutely zero length, but aids significantly in the draw.

They should come standard on the baby Glocks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The 642, is in my opinion, an out dated gun. Where others carry semiautos in larger caliber with more capacity, some stick to their revolvers. Shoot with what you are comfortable with, I guess.

I would like to point out that the application potential of a revolver in a cqb contact distance is greatly unappreciated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been carrying a J Frame for over 25 years and have fired thousands of rounds through them. A full size high capacity pistol would be better to have in an armed engagement, but much less convenient to carry.

If you train with them regularly a J Frame is a viable concealed carry firearm.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Try the Hornady Critical Defense 110gr (standard pressure), the Gold Dot 125 (standard pressure), or a 148 wadcutter. They are not optimal choices, but decent alternatives when recoil is a concern.

If Michael de Bethencourt or Claude Werner are within reach, their snub specific training would be a big help to you in getting the most out of the gun.

I like the CT laser grips. There are several options in single and combined materials. Make sure they work with your speed loaders.

The Apex duty/carry J frame kits lighten and smooth out the trigger pull. I have them in a couple of guns. As with all such kits double check ignition reliability, particularly with Winchester and CCI primers.
    Thank you for this info - I will try to hunt down those ammo recs and give them a shot.

I had no idea how inexpensive the apex kits were - I will order.

On the CT grips - how do you find them for pocket carry? Do they add a considerable amount of bulk? Do they draw well?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    The 642, is in my opinion, an out dated gun. Where others carry semiautos in larger caliber with more capacity, some stick to their revolvers. Shoot with what you are comfortable with, I guess.

I would like to point out that the application potential of a revolver in a cqb contact distance is greatly unappreciated.

Agreed - I do not carry my 642 as a primary - it is a pure bug/get off me/bad breath/carry in coat pocket gun. That is why I am not considering selling and put up with the harsh recoil - under 15 feet I can shoot it fast and well enough. Past that it just falls apart.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast