Thread: Forgot how much I hate my 642

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Has anyone tried these grips?

http://ergogrips.net/delta-grip.html

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I carry a 442-2 most of the time.

I can shoot it fairly well, just not for very long.

25-30 rounds in a range session and I'm done. Punishing little beast of a PITA.

At speed, out to 7 or 8 yards I can get accuracy and speed acceptably close to a 1911 in 45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    I carry a 442-2 most of the time.
    A perennial favorite because it is easy to always have it on you and not in the safe. Sure, it isn't a PPC revolver, but it isn't supposed to be.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP, have you experimented much with grip changes? I shoot my 442 back to back with my M&P9 each range session. My grip technique is completely different from one to the other. Massad Ayoob has written a lot on revolver grip that has helped me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crash View Post
    OP, have you experimented much with grip changes? I shoot my 442 back to back with my M&P9 each range session. My grip technique is completely different from one to the other. Massad Ayoob has written a lot on revolver grip that has helped me.
    I believe that how you grip a small wheel gun makes all the difference in the world. Your ability to shoot a lot of rounds without a great deal of discomfort and place them accurately on a target at 25 yards is enhanced with a good grip technique.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not many grips are properly designed for the centennial and the proper hand high grip. The issues I have had mostly involved the upper corner of the frame bruising my thumb joint. I have only found a few grips that prevent that and the one pictured would definitely not work for me.

The Crimson trace laser grips work fairly well and the Speigle wood Centennial grips available from: www.lightningarms.com/spegel.htm work quite well but are pricey.

If extreme conceal-ability can be compromised a bit, these are the best Centennial grips I have found so far: http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=7868
    They are actually designed for the Centennial and only extend about 1/4" below the frame. For most people they improve the trigger reach and they "pad" the backstrap to reduce felt recoil.
    Last edited by DBR; 05-31-14 at 00:44.

Feedback Score
    It's funny how back in the early eighties when I first started handgunning, I was usually the only guy on the line with an auto. Now I am the only guy on the line with a revolver. Like the old joke about Carnegie Hall, practice always helps the shooter transcend the more difficult to master revolver trigger.
    Last edited by CornCod; 06-20-14 at 22:25. Reason: clarity

Feedback Score

Forgot how much I hate my 642

I have the 442 and 640. In the 442 I use 38 +P, and in the 640, I use 357 magnum 125 grains.

It may not fit your hand properly. I had a hard time with grip and recoil on a Ruger LCR but this J frame is a vast improvement for recoil and handling. For me, it's a natural pointing gun from 3 yards to 10 yards. Doing the speed rock drill at 3-7 yards is no problem. My buddy and I were hitting 25 yard plates consistently, and I was able to stretch to 50 yards on a 12" steel plate - slow fire, of course.

The channel sights take some getting used to shooting, and you should also try seeing where it ends up on paper from a rest. At least that is what we do when we are trying different ammunition. I find 158 grains to be too low for me. I prefer 125 grain bullets for 357 and 38.

I prefer this gun around town, since my hands are always in my pocket ready to draw.

I bought my 442 used and the trigger when broken in is great. My friend put a Wilson combat trigger and spring in my 640 and it made a world of difference in trigger pull - 9 lbs.
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 06-22-14 at 21:54. Reason: added information

Feedback Score
    The J frames aren't made for shooting pleasure at the range.

Feedback Score
    I love my 642. My girlfriend doesn't have the hand strength to shoot hers with Crimson Trace laser grips. She has no trouble with the S&W Bodyguard .38, though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast