Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new targetcam system

Feedback Score

new targetcam system

So... I was 5th place at the snipershide cup this weekend and took a really cool target camera system off the prize table. I had a chance to take it for a quick spin tonight after work and thought I'd give a brief range report and review. A couple caveats: first, as I just said I've only owned it for a day. Second, being a guy, I figured I'd use it a few times before reading the manual so I could be doing a lot wrong.

First thing I did was go set up the camera on my tripod out in a hay field in front of a full size IPSC spin drift auto popper (30" tall, including 6"x6" head). You're looking at the front of the camera. On/off switch and antenna on the top. That little spot on the front is the lens, which you spin to focus.

The camera unit has what I'm assuming is a rather large, heavy battery inside it and you charge it via a port on the opposite side. I've been told to expect 5 hr run time. It took about 3 hours to charge it with the supplied charger.

Next, after stomping down a lane of waist-high hay, I go set up with my normal kit: suppressed rifle, PLRF-10C range finder, kestrel weather meter, and my pack. You can see the monitor base unit is built into a storm case, which is pretty cool. It has the LCD screen and antennae in the lid. If you lift the foam piece, there is more custom cut foam underneath that holds the camera and a special longer range antenna (the wire you see) and a charger that works for both the camera and monitor unit. As you can see I'm using the rubber duck style antenna. The target is 860 yards away and the camera is maybe 12' or so in front of it. So the more convenient rubber duck antenna works pretty dang well. Note, like a lot of LCD screens, the image appears slightly faded if you aren't directly in front of it, which I generally wasn't in these pics and especially the video. In person, the image looks bright and sharp, with good colors. However, it has kind of a funky aspect ratio which I'll probably understand after reading the manual. As previously stated the head is 6x6" square (see last pic), but in the monitor, it looks wider than it is tall. But you can still see the fresh paint on the head and make out the grass in front of it very well. It definitely seems well suited to seeing impacts from a reasonably safe distance.

In the next picture you can see my view through my scope of the target and the camera in front and left of it. The scope is a USO 5-25x58 TPAL set on 25x magnification with the side focus adjusted as well as I could get it. Still a pretty difficult image looking through a combination of hay and soupy southern air.

So, after sorting out my data for a few minutes, I took a shot at the head and got a first round hit on the right side. After the target fell down and came up, I thought, "that was neat, I should get that on video." So I carefully balanced my iphone on a pile of junk in front of the monitor and hit record. Then I went and shot again, missing twice more before I realized the wind shifted slightly. So I made a slight correction and center punched it.

Finally, I took one more shot and hit top right again near my 1st impact. In this video, you can see the system blanks out for a second every once in a while. Not sure why, but it could be me as again I haven't read the manual, and being a ham radio guy, I've got a ton of rf stuff going on around my truck etc that could be causing interference.
    (second video posted below as there is a 1 video limit per post)
    (bonus points for anyone who can tell me what kind of bird that is in the video)

Here's a close up of the monitor. As you can see, it's pretty simple to use. On/off switch, receiver, monitor. Some buttons on the LCD screen that I assume you use if you have multiple cameras, etc. The silver port left of the on/off switch is the charging port. The four slots you see on either side of the LCD accommodate a foam sun shade (part of which you can see tucked in the the left side of bottom of the case).

Finally, I went back downrange to collect my camera and took a pic of the target. 3/5 isn't too bad!

I really want to thank targetcam for sponsoring the snipershide cup and donating their time to RO and putting this very cool system on the prize table! Summers around here are so hazy and mirage is so bad where I shoot that it is nearly impossible to make out impacts on my 1000-1100 yard steel with spotting or rifle scopes so gathering long range data is a PITA. I'm pretty sure this system will solve that.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Congrats on your finish! That is a pretty spiffy prize. I can bet that would be a really useful tool when you are doing load development at distance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Oh my God... how we could put that to use.

Shooting 223 to 1000 yards can be a bitch to call hits. On half the days you can hear a ring, but if there's wind, forget it. You assume that no dirt "poof" means you hit.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Congrats again on the Snipershide shoot. Very impressive.

That camera system is bad ass. How much $$ may I ask? Gotta be pricy for that awesome kit.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    thanks guys

pappa, you know, i've seen some pretty dang pricey camera systems like this. the one at the PNTC match was like $23k per station or something ridiculous like that. So I was shocked to find these are for sale on his website http://www.targetcam.net/ for $835 shipped for the complete system. heck, that's less than any of my spotting scopes cost. When I was at the table I could have taken either of the new $2k steiner scopes or a zeiss spotter but I got to thinking... this camera system will probably save me more money in ammo in the next 12 months than the others cost, and I will use it every trip.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    DAMN! That's not bad at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That thing is killer taliv.....congratulations, and great shooting to win that prize!

Thanks for sharing the detailed writeup, and videos with us, as I want one of these in my LR setup eventually.

Now you just need a badass 25-30x 1080p HD cam to capture trace.

Feedback Score

new targetcam system

Wothdrawn
    Last edited by texas48; 06-01-14 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    played with it yesterday at 1100 yards. still works great on just the rubber duck antenna. i think i'm going to need a lot bigger gun before i have to switch to the directional antenna.

after getting a pretty good idea of wind and elevation on the 12x20" plate, I was 3 for 5 on the 4x4" bad guy head but hit the hostage first round. doh!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast