Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR/M4 platform in PA

Feedback Score

AR/M4 platform in PA

I just found out when I started shooting again that it's illegal in PA to hunt deer with an AR. My buddy said he thought you could hunt coyote with one though?

Anyone have and info on this rule?
    No, my question is not a joke. I'm just a newbie

Feedback Score
    Dont think hunting with a semi is legal in pa. Take out the gas tube and you should be good unless you have a minium caliber requirement

Feedback Score
    As it stands right now semi auto rifles are not allowed. But, there is a state rep who has/will be introducing legislation to allow AR's for predators and varmints. Round count will be limited to one in the pipe and 5 in the mag.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhskull21 View Post
    Dont think hunting with a semi is legal in pa. Take out the gas tube and you should be good unless you have a minium caliber requirement
    Take out the gas tube...and....
    -or-
    Take out the gas tube... period?

Feedback Score
    I just talked to my dad who is 73 and he told me that since he can remember semiauto rifles were not allowed in PA (to hunt). He said that's why he bought his (now very old) 22 in bolt action for hunting squirrels. He said no auto loaders, not even 22 were allowed. So, it's been the law for a long time. Kind of a bummer. I hope legislation is passed.
    No, my question is not a joke. I'm just a newbie

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Take out the gas tube...and....
    -or-
    Take out the gas tube... period?
    Take out the gas tube period. It won't cycle after that.
    Then take it to a Fish and Game guy and have him certify that it can no longer fire in semi-auto mode. Get a letter from them stating that fact, it will help you out in the field if another warden comes by asking questions. Max capacity is 3+1? if I remember correctly so you will need to modify a mag in such a way that it cannot be easily switched back out in the field. Do not take any un-modified mags with you or even leave one in the truck.

Unless you are ex-military and have only one arm/hand then no semi-auto's are allowed for hunting in PA.

Just recently took the hunters safety course here last year and had the same questions, but please verify everything with a game warden and for god sakes get names and phone numbers to back your ass up.

Or just buy a bolt/pump gun and be done with it. That's what I did.
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marley View Post
    He said no auto loaders, not even 22 were allowed.
    Apparently you can't even hunt squirrels with a 10/22 and a single shot mag in PA. I have not personally confirmed this but my step father has asked this question and was told "No" in no uncertain terms by a Fish and Game agent.
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 06-05-14 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been hunting over in PA since I was 12 and every year since then and it's still no semi-auto firearms for hunting. I have last years regs right here.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No semi-auto center fire or rim fire firearm in any configuration can be used to hunt game in PA, Now one can hunt with a semi-auto shotgun which has the magazine blocked or plug to hold no more then three rounds. Even if you disable your AR to act as a single shot you still would be in violation of the game laws and most likely have the firearm confiscated and be fined a substantial amount of cash combined with a 5 to 10 year hunting license suspension .
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    Time to elect some new politicians.

And this is the state where the Liberty Bell is kept?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast