Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR/M4 platform in PA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also, I believe their is a minimum caliber of .243.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    No semi-auto center fire or rim fire firearm in any configuration can be used to hunt game in PA, Now one can hunt with a semi-auto shotgun which has the magazine blocked or plug to hold no more then three rounds. Even if you disable your AR to act as a single shot you still would be in violation of the game laws and most likely have the firearm confiscated and be fined a substantial amount of cash combined with a 5 to 10 year hunting license suspension .
    This. You will most likely kiss you rifle bye bye on the spot to be followed by significant follow on consequences. It would be fantastic to hunt with an AR in PA but not likely to be a reality anytime soon.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Also, I believe their is a minimum caliber of .243.
    Incorrect:

"General Statewide Seasons: (1) Manually operated center-fire rifles, handguns and shotguns with all-lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact; (2) muzzleloading long gun of any type or caliber; and (3) long, recurve or compound bows with a peak draw weight not less than 35 pounds, and crossbows with a draw weight of not less than 125 pounds, and not more than 200 pounds. Bowhunters must use arrows equipped with broadheads having an outside diameter of at least 7/8-inch with no less than two cutting edges, which shall be in the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Crossbow hunters may use bolts tipped with broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is illegal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area."

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=591283&mode=2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have been following this for a few weeks now and hope it passes.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&bn=1402

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIGIN View Post
    I have been following this for a few weeks now and hope it passes.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&bn=1402
    Would be nice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    This. You will most likely kiss you rifle bye bye on the spot to be followed by significant follow on consequences. It would be fantastic to hunt with an AR in PA but not likely to be a reality anytime soon.
    What do we keep doing wrong not getting results on this? I've been following the issue but keep seeing the legislators wimp out every time and there's no action from our side that amounts to anything, not even really trying.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
    Time to elect some new politicians.
    Apparently changing the politicians hasn't accomplished much. What needs to change is how we influence their handlers. Apparently there is vast ineptitude on our side to get things done which isn't shared by other interests. Somehow construction companies, police supply vendors, municipal pension funds, etc. don't take "Well...maybe this year, we'll see...if they have time, but there's opposition..." for an answer, but for some reason we gun owners do. That's gotta change.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    What do we keep doing wrong not getting results on this? I've been following the issue but keep seeing the legislators wimp out every time and there's no action from our side that amounts to anything, not even really trying.
    Political capital is only available in finite quantities. This is not an issue that has enough interest to get legislators to expend that precious commodity. They have other priorities.
    Last edited by TommyG; 09-16-14 at 17:06. Reason: Clarity
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marley View Post
    I just talked to my dad who is 73 and he told me that since he can remember semiauto rifles were not allowed in PA (to hunt). He said that's why he bought his (now very old) 22 in bolt action for hunting squirrels. He said no auto loaders, not even 22 were allowed. So, it's been the law for a long time. Kind of a bummer. I hope legislation is passed.
    Born and raised in Pa from my early days of hunting in the 50's, not only semi-auto rifles, but semi-auto shotguns for deer was and is still illegal.

Don't forget in-line ML's was illegal for years.

EDIT: Note my 1st semi-auto was a Remington 16 ga Sportsman 58, that my mom won in 1954 at the local Sportsman Club. It was good to go, for everything but deer. Kicked like a friging mule, I was the only guy in town with an auto-loader.
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 09-17-14 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to resurrect this old thread because the PA Game Commission has given a unanimous preliminary vote to allow semi-auto for both big and small game. Mags limited to 5 rounds with one in the tube. Air rifles will also be permitted for small game. Final vote will be held at the end of next month. All you Pennsy-tuckians please email the PAGC with positive responses to make sure the final vote is the same. Check out the PAGC web-site for all the details. Finally!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast