Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Are people still building these mk12 clones? These things are dinosaurs, and I love them. Some great looking builds here. Whether clone correct or not they look great. And I personally like the idea of a light precision based platform built around the lowly 5.56 round. I know there are some newer and better calibers out now but my Lord look at how much ammo is around for these things. There are some very capable 5.56 loading too. Will it excel in every type of terrain or any theater? No. Probably not. But it will suffice in many depending on the guy behind the trigger, just like every other round out there.
Here's mine.
I started ( as per usual for me) with BCM upper and lower receivers , ( incorrect, not A1 type lower and not Colt etc..), barrel and BCG are Mr LeClairs excellent ( and correct) Mk12 barrel and his BCG ( not). That barrel is an absolute laser. I also have his mk12 gas block. Rail is KAC ff rail (correct). Sights are also KAC (correct) front and rear. I also lucked into a KAC stud/swivel type sling mount which,according to Mr. LeClair, is the right one for the Mk12. Ops muzzle brake sans can for now. Harris bipod on a Larue (incorrect) mount. A2 fixed stock, Sprinco green and A5 buffer. I have to have a Geissele and went with the High Speed National Match using the DMR spring set. Ergo original. The rings are the ARMS 22 High (correct) holding a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 (incorrect) and I love that scope, it will more than suffice for me.
I still need to pick up an M84 gasbuster. I picked up a flat trigger guard to put on.
So, you can see that it's not an "according to Hoyle" correct clone by by Geez it will flat out shoot. I've done a small bit of load development with it using the Seirra 77gr OTM bullet over Accurate 2520, Ramshot TAC, 8208XBR, and AR Comp and it seems to shoot them all well.
Anyway, you guys have built some fine rifles. I hope mine is worthy of the company.Attachment 51943Attachment 51944Attachment 519452
Yes, people love them because they look cool and can post tiny groups from the bench. Theres a reason why there are 2 threads with 200+ pages about SPRs on TOS.