Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 Can shooting 5.56?

Feedback Score

7.62 Can shooting 5.56?

I am shopping for a "All in one Can" as atf-41p is in the air. I have a approved Gemtech quicksand 7.62 just sitting at the sliencer shop. Been approved for a few months just need to pick it up. I like that its all TI. So my question.

Pro/cons of shooting 5.56 out of a 7.62 can?
    How much louder DB wise will it be? (I heard +4 on the DB)
    Does it increase the chance of a Baffle strike?
    If the can is rated down to 10.3 and I use it on a 10.0 is 0.03 to much? ( i would say yes and they did the testing to go as low as they could any any more would damage or cause strkes)

I called Gemtech just now and he said he does not have anything rated lower then 10.3 that can fall under warrenty. (on a side note it feels like i was being rushed off the phone and was not really friendly)
    "would shooting 5.56 out of the quicksand increase my chance for a BS? His reply
    "Why would it is there something wrong with your gun?"

Dude for real.

I have a 28oz can and its heavy.
    Last edited by menizzi; 05-29-14 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The quicksand will be sub optimal for SBR or high volume AR shooting. According to the experts, Ti erodes faster. Ti cans make for good bolt gun shooters, but won't hold up as well as inconel baffles.

As far as shooting it on the 223 caliber, it won't sound any louder to the shooter. You'll reduce baffle strike potential due to the larger bore diameter of the can.

The sandstorm that Pappabear, here, owns is a typical pain in the ass Gemtech product. It won't sit straight on any mount on any barrel. It always cants to the same side. And we've already had two end cap strikes on custom barrels that are threaded correctly.

Naturally the pin heads at gemtech are blaming the threading, and they've NEVER seen an issue that can't be blamed on the barrel threads/ concentricity.

He hasn't shipped it back yet. In fact, this turd was sold to him with partial credit from the 9mm Gemtec that the body separated on sending the baffles flying down range.

In addition to all this crap, the sandstorm hurts accuracy. Maybe due to the piece of shit being tweaked to the side.. who knows?
    Last edited by markm; 05-29-14 at 15:53.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    So this is what I have to look forward to...Nice

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Maybe you'll have a straight can. I mean... this is a sample of one.

I'll tell you this. When you mount it, look down the barrel from the chamber end. Move your eye up and down, and back and forth. You'll be able to see if it's not straight.

We're shooting 208 AMAX bullets. They may yaw slightly after exiting the barrel. See... we've shot 40 plus rounds and only hit the end cap twice. I guess the rest were near misses. The can isn't destroyed yet. The cap damage is minimal. But Pappabear pulled it from service before we blew it to bits.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wouldn't put the Quicksand on an SBR. I shoot a Sandstorm and it's an awesome can. It's helped accuracy on four of the five barrels one used it on. Shooting .223 through it on a WOA 18" was VERY quiet. No strikes and it sets good and square.

Be forewarned, there is no "one size fits all" can IMO. Though good and light, it doesn't suppress .308 in semi-auto as well as I'd like. It's also bigger than a dedicated can for a 5.56.

Mine resides on my precision rifle I use for competition shooting. It's very good for that, being relatively small, boosting accuracy, and boosting velocity.

That said, I am waiting on a 5.56 SOCOM for other applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wonder if that problem Sandstorm Pappa has couldn't be reassigned to his .223 5R. If it didn't hurt accuracy, it'd be good home for it.

Feedback Score
    I just bought the saker 7.62.

After I talked to the guys on the phone. I was sold.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One brother in law and my best friend both run AAC SDN6 cans on 5.56 guns and they work great.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I had only used a 5.56 KAC or pre-SOCOM Surefire previously on 5.56 M4s.

I actually had one rifle ready to go with a SF QD FH, and another with a KAC QD FH.

When the time came to purchase cans on my own, available, price,
    and the wide availability of thread sizes made my go with the Phantom QD.

I have one 7.62 can,
    with QD brakes or FH on 5.56 rifles, SBRs, an AR10, an AK SBR, and a 91clone.

I was going to just use the 7.62 Phantom on everything until I got a separate 5.56 can.

I am tempted to just get another 7.62 can because it works well.

It is not the shortest, lightest, most modern, quietest, cheapest, or most expensive can.

I am finding it to be a reliable all around can,
    and with QD FHs and brakes at a great price point with the best thread options overall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast