Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700: Scope objective too close to barrel?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Even getting the scope as low as possible, you will still probably need a cheek riser. I used the Bell & Carlson Sendaro / Varmint / Police Medalist Style 1 Remington 700 Short Action Rifle Stocks 2958 BDL with a Tac-Pro cheek riser;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Model A,b, or c?
    Get the adjustable with knobs version.

I have a scope that I can barely get rem wipe under it. If it's a heavy bull barrel I wouldn't worry. If you can get the Nightforce scope cover on, there is PLENTY of room.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    If you use Buttler Creek style caps and they touch the barrel it will effect accuracy. How much wont be known until you shoot it but it does make a difference. If you have air gap between scope and caps you are probably OK

I shoot target for a 5" X ring at a 1000 yards so I error on side of caution on these things and open channel and gaps so I don't have to worry. That is for extreme accuracy. My medium range ( 800 and in)sniper rifles have enough gap between barrel and stock so I can clean channel with bandana but then I wrap them with cloth so reflextion

Now for my 400 yards and in hunting rifles if they shoot 1 moa I am happy and I tend to wrap the barrel and stock with camo cling to keep reflection down.

Depends on use/target what you can get away with. Just check before hand and see what you get

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Even getting the scope as low as possible, .....................
    In that photo, that gap is way too much for me. As others have said, you should use as low a rings as possible without touching the barrel, accounting for caps if you use them.

Formula: http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...correctly.html

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    In that photo, that gap is way too much for me. As others have said, you should use as low a rings as possible without touching the barrel, accounting for caps if you use them.
    The scope, which has a 42mm objective in a 30mm tube (vs. a 50 or 56mm objective in a 35mm tube) gives the illusion the scope is mounted high. The scope is sitting in low Seekins rings on a 15 MOA Leupold steel base. It was among the lowest combos I could find using a 1-piece 15/20 MOA base and the Seekins rings (which IMO are excellent).

The actual clearance between the scope objective bell and barrel is about .3" at the narrowest point;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    The scope, which has a 42mm objective in a 30mm tube (vs. a 50 or 56mm objective in a 35mm tube) gives the illusion the scope is mounted high. The scope is sitting in low Seekins rings on a 15 MOA Leupold steel base. It was among the lowest combos I could find using a 1-piece 15/20 MOA base and the Seekins rings (which IMO are excellent).

The actual clearance between the scope objective bell and barrel is about .3" at the narrowest point;

The gap between scope and barrel above is how mine looks with a 50mm objective. I ended up getting the B&C A2 stock and it helped but with getting lined up behind the scope. The low rings are definitely going to get me the rest of the way. So my follow on question is this; is there any advantage either way with going Nightforce direct mount one piece base or two piece rings and base? One piece seems like one less thing to go awry.

Feedback Score
    What is the contour of your Remington Barrel and what picatinny mount are you using? If its an MTU contour you can get away with 1 inch or even .875 rings if you running a 50mm objective.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by beb0541 View Post
    What is the contour of your Remington Barrel and what picatinny mount are you using? If its an MTU contour you can get away with 1 inch or even .875 rings if you running a 50mm objective.
    20" Heavy barrel and 20 MOA base.

Feedback Score
    "This setup is too high for a good cheek weld and general comfort while prone. "

stock pack and shim it... that that hard to fix....

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I just received some Vortex low rings in the mail yesterday, the ones Seekins makes, so I am going to find out soon enough how they'll work. Got some Nightforce Medium Ultralites for sale shortly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast