Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Covers/Sleeves/Wraps/Jackets - Heat Damage & Wear on Suppressor???

Feedback Score

Question Suppressor Covers/Sleeves/Wraps/Jackets - Heat Damage & Wear on Suppressor???

What is the consensus on suppressor covers trapping heat around the suppressor and causing premature wear or damage to the suppressor?

I'd like to pick up something to prevent burns/melted pants when doing transitions/slinging rifle, but if these covers/wraps can cause premature wear and damage, I'll be selective when I use it. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    There was an argument going on about this very subject not long ago on TOS. No consensus was reached. However, it prompted me to consult with a manufacturer to see what they said. Given that I recently bought a Saker 556 I sent SilencerCo an email asking about using an HMMS and they replied and said I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

However, this was one manufacturer's stance on one particular model of suppressor. I would contact whichever manufacturer made the suppressor in question and see what they say.
    Last edited by SteveL; 06-01-14 at 07:58. Reason: Information added
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is interesting. What other info besides TOS discussion is there? I have ran mine(SDN, SDN 6)pretty damn hot. No noticeable effects. And some were beta mag f/a dumps. Yea I'm stupid that way but I like "testing".
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I talked to one of the owners of Manta covers at Shot Show this year and he said that by insulating the heat from your hands it does keep the heat in the suppressor. Now does this accelerate wear and/or possibly damage the can? Who knows, I would think it depends on your firing schedule.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 05-31-14 at 21:07.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, a constant fire schedule would have to damage it. Heat has that effect. What I wonder is short burst with cool off, what is the long term effect.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Heat = bad. Pointless unless it's on a precision bolt gun....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    I would guess that as the baffles get hotter (or stay hotter for longer periods with a cover), they may be more susceptible to erosion and other types of damage if one were to continue firing rounds through it. Valid presumptions???

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXAG45 View Post
    What is the consensus on suppressor covers trapping heat around the suppressor and causing premature wear or damage to the suppressor?

I'd like to pick up something to prevent burns/melted pants when doing transitions/slinging rifle, but if these covers/wraps can cause premature wear and damage, I'll be selective when I use it. Any thoughts?
    I have a Griffon Industries HMMS cover, which is rated to full auto, on my SDN6.

My thoughts are as follows:
    It prevents burns if you touch it.
    It prevents you from melting your pants when running an SBR and transition to pistol.
    It allows you to shoot at various unorthodox firing positions without worrying about more burns.
    It's a durable way to camo your suppressor, unlike paint which will burn off.
    It prevents heat mirage when shooting with high magnification.
    It protects your suppressor from impacts.

Downsides:
    Takes a lot longer to cool off. You can remove it expedite the process.
    Under very heavy firing schedules, I can see it might adversely effect baffle life. I mean very very heavy firing schedules, like maybe 200+ rds full auto out of a 10.5" barrel. This can be mitigated to an extent by running a muzzle brake as your QD mount, thus acting as a sacrificial baffle.
    You can't run flashlights as close to the bore with one - I actually had to change my surefire scout mount due to the HMMS. It also increases barrel shadow.

Overall, I think it's worth it so far. I can't speak to other suppressor covers, but the Griffon HMMS is impressive. I have no hard data showing how it'll probably be ok for your rifle besides that Griffon claims they ran 9 mags through at full auto without damage to the suppressor and HMMS.

Yes, heat is bad, but even 3 mags at quick semi-auto should be fine.

Full disclosure: Griffon Industries sold me a HMMS at a discount in return for writing a review. I haven't finished the review yet (haven't had a chance to shoot rapid fire, been just shooting slow fire precision lately), but these are my thoughts so far.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 06-01-14 at 02:35.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We run these on precision guns because the heat mirage blurs your sight picture after 5-10 rounds depending on the caliber. After that, we slide them back onto the barrel so the can can cool quicker.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wondering if having a Titanium suppressor makes any difference using a cover?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast