Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: building the perfect ar15 SBR

Feedback Score

building the perfect ar15 SBR

Well, here we go.

Start off with a noveske lower, ALG trigger, 6 POS stock, LMT sopmod. Delicious.

12.5" noveske chrome lined barrel in 5.56, noveske Switch block, surefire muzzle brake, LMT fixed front and rear A2 sights, Ranier arms Raptor charging handle

Optic? Acog or a Vcog. I'm sold on them from my time using them in the Marines.

Can? Probably a Socom. I already have on surefire can. Adding something I am already familiar with and have other mounts for seems common sense.

Discuss. I already have one novekse mk18 clone. No problems after 1300 rounds (about half suppressed).
    USMC 1833/3531

Yut Yut

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Purpose?

I would add in a Vltor A5 system (or the new BCM equivalent), because it will only help reliability.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    or the new BCM equivalent
    Crud what did I miss? I knew BCM carried VLTOR A5 parts, but this is interesting.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
    Crud what did I miss? I knew BCM carried VLTOR A5 parts, but this is interesting.
    They (BCM) have an extended tube as well . . . it is discussed somewhere in a recent thread.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-I...mediate-re.htm

There is also a kit. I use A5s, but have no experience with the BCM version. Though, given it is BCM, it is pretty safe to say it is likely a great option.

ETA: not to get to far from the OP's question, here's the thread on BCM

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=163257
    Last edited by 2nd.amendment; 01-14-15 at 00:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd.amendment View Post
    Purpose?

I would add in a Vltor A5 system (or the new BCM equivalent), because it will only help reliability.
    General purpose.

It's a carbine system..what does the A5 do for it?

Sorry, not sure what the a5 is even for.
    USMC 1833/3531

Yut Yut

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    - For optic, I'd go with either an Aimpoint Micro, PRO or Comp M4 in an ADM or Bobro mount, but that's personal preference, and depends on how far you are shooting.
    - Regarding triggers, if we're talking perfect, as in $ ain't a thang, then I'd go for a Geissele SD-E trigger (the one I am most familiar with, aside from the
    SSA-E), but other Geissele options such as the S3G or SD-3G might be an option (never used 'em myself).
    - Handguard: Either the BCM KMR or the Noveske NSR.
    - BCM Gunfighter grip
    - For irons, my preference is for folding. Probably Magpul MBUS Pros. Either regular or offset.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Here is what I did:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...2-5-GP-Carbine

I have a Switchblock on my 16" and 18" Noveske. I did not see a difference with the SS 12.5 that I started with. With the 12.5 I tried a Vltor A5 but liked the standard carbine tube with an H buffer better. My build has been evolving for the last few years. The only constant has been a 12.5" barrel.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    - For optic, I'd go with either an Aimpoint Micro, PRO or Comp M4 in an ADM or Bobro mount, but that's personal preference, and depends on how far you are shooting.
    - Regarding triggers, if we're talking perfect, as in $ ain't a thang, then I'd go for a Geissele SD-E trigger (the one I am most familiar with, aside from the
    SSA-E), but other Geissele options such as the S3G or SD-3G might be an option (never used 'em myself).
    - Handguard: Either the BCM KMR or the Noveske NSR.
    - BCM Gunfighter grip
    - For irons, my preference is for folding. Probably Magpul MBUS Pros. Either regular or offset.
    Mines gone through multiple iterations, but my 'ideal SBR' as of 2014 is as follows, thoughts in line with recommendations in this thread. I'm not right or wrong here, just my preferences after almost 10,000 rounds and 6-7 different variations based on my progression/learning. Here's my parts list, with 'why' notes:

Upper
    Surefire SF3P (obviously to mount can, great flash reduction, not much annoying 'ringing')
    Surefire 5.56 SOCOM mini suppressor (muffles enough blast, short and light, almost zero blowback)
    Surefire 200 lumen mini scout (low profile and lightweight)
    Arisaka inline scout mount (low profile, mounts to any keymod surface)
    11.5" FN CHF barrel (accurate, good velocity on target, long lasting, reliable, short enough to notice [I don't know if a 12.5 is 'worth it' vs a 14.5])
    Chopped FSB with taper pins (sturdiest gas block option I know of)
    10" BCM KMR (crazy lightweight, easily removed for PM/inspection, slim...for my small bitchands)
    BCM QD sling mount (low profile)
    VLTOR MUR1A upper (keeps upper very rigid, a perk with suppressor use,......and it looks cool [did I say that out loud?!])
    Tangodown QD stubby grip (most comfortable VFG for me, easily removed for extended prone shooting, waterproof storage - F4 for suppressor goes here)
    LMT enhanced BCG with BCM bolt (quality/reliable bolt, quality carrier with added benefit of purging extra gasses via extra vent hole and larger cam pin slot)
    BCM Mod4 charging handle (skirting reduces a bit of blowback, latch is perfect size)
    Aimpoint Micro 2MOA (lightweight, dependable, long battery life, small as hell)
    ADM lower 1/3 mount (easily adjustable QD mount, very repeatable zero)
    KAC micro BUIS (tool-less adjustment, light, and small)

Lower
    Stripped lower
    LMT parts kit
    Geissele SD-C trigger (perfect balance of crisp and light [but not too light], flat trigger bow makes my reset faster and provides for more even feel on trigger)
    Battle Arms Dev ambi safety (ambi, user configurable, 'snaps' very quickly in and out of position)
    BCM grip (more vertical angle compared to others - less wrist fatigue, waterproof storage - F1 for lower and Aimpoint batt goes here)
    VLTOR A5 receiver extension system (longer travel for reciprocating mass, most reliable buffer system I've used)
    B5 SOPMOD stock (great cheekweld, storage [although I've never used it], QD sling points, mid-weight to help balance the gun out)
    Vickers 2 point padded sling with sewn in QD (best sling out there for tons of reasons)

loaded, unsuppressed weight: 8.1lbs
    Last edited by munch520; 01-14-15 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fadedsun View Post
    Well, here we go.

Start off with a noveske lower, ALG trigger, 6 POS stock, LMT sopmod. Delicious.

12.5" noveske chrome lined barrel in 5.56, noveske Switch block, surefire muzzle brake, LMT fixed front and rear A2 sights, Ranier arms Raptor charging handle

Optic? Acog or a Vcog. I'm sold on them from my time using them in the Marines.

Can? Probably a Socom. I already have on surefire can. Adding something I am already familiar with and have other mounts for seems common sense.

Discuss. I already have one novekse mk18 clone. No problems after 1300 rounds (about half suppressed).
    In terms of answering your questions...

-Unless you're set on it, I'd do an 11.5" barrel (for reasons mentioned in my other post) and a flash hider instead of a brake. Shooting with a brake gets tiresome without the can on.
    -The switchblock is cool, but if you're trying to tailor to suppresed use, I think there's money better spent elsewhere. Plus if you're not into fine-tuning your gun, this can introduce a whole new level of variables/minutiae. A buffer swap (to heavier A5H4) and enhanced carrier that bleeds gas, has given me a simpler, very reliable setup. Runs both suppressed and unsuppressed and locks back in both configurations as well. Surefire cans don't have a ton of volume comparatively, and the SOCOMs do a nice job of venting gas forward. Blowback isn't a huge issue either way.
    -Do you really need zoom on this gun? Rephrased, will you be shooting past 3-400y consistently? If so, there are tons of 1-4 and 1-6 options out there that offer true 1x and the flexibility of zoom at various distances. ACOGs are heavy with fixed zoom, which isn't a terrible thing but I think variability offers more value for your money. The VCOG is cool but price and weight turn me off.
    -Yep, I'd go with a SOCOM can, but I've used Surefire for a while and am comfortable with their mounting options, customer service, etc. They also offer a nice 'mid range' in terms of size with the RC being 6" or so and relatively light weight. I went with the mini this time around because this is an SBR after all (operative word being Short) and I'd rather keep weight and length down. The 5.56 will never be a quiet round, so I'm not on a quest to tame it down by hanging some long/heavy can off the front.

Again, just my thoughts
    Last edited by munch520; 01-14-15 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    General purpose.

It's a carbine system..what does the A5 do for it?

Sorry, not sure what the a5 is even for.
    Here is a start.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...fighting-rifle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast