Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Covers/Sleeves/Wraps/Jackets - Heat Damage & Wear on Suppressor???

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    20 rounds in 60 seconds and left to cool; so much for being "heat resistant"...

Feedback Score
    Only in one spot makes me think maybe something left inside cover, maybe a tag?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttf909 View Post
    Only in one spot makes me think maybe something left inside cover, maybe a tag?
    Nope, it was clean before I tied it on. The black stuff is the fabric lining melted to the can, came off with a dry green scratch pad. I was going to run this on my 20" prairie dog gun, but decided to leave it off after seeing it melt after 20 rounds during my first time shooting with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    Nope, it was clean before I tied it on. The black stuff is the fabric lining melted to the can, came off with a dry green scratch pad. I was going to run this on my 20" prairie dog gun, but decided to leave it off after seeing it melt after 20 rounds during my first time shooting with it.
    Dang.

This seems quite contradictory to what's been posted on YouTube and a few blogs. So is this a fluke or another overhyped product?
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Dang.

This seems quite contradictory to what's been posted on YouTube and a few blogs. So is this a fluke or another overhyped product?
    Take a look at Rifles Only HAD cover. The inner core is rated to 3,000 degrees, with the outer cover rated to 2,000.

FWIW, if you assume 1 round adds about 15 degrees to a suppressor (depending on ammo load, barrel length etc). On a 95 degree day a 30 round mag dump will raise the can temp to 545 degrees.

I know one major suppressor company recommends keeping their precision titanium cans under 700-800 degrees.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm kind of leaning towards the Manta cover. It isn't the best looking unit but it looks like it'll hold up well to the occassiional mag dump.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'm kind of leaning towards the Manta cover. It isn't the best looking unit but it looks like it'll hold up well to the occassiional mag dump.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    I think I did a 75ish round dump and my griffon hmms was fine. In that same string of fire, a BCM ELW with KMR was too hot to hold on the bare KMR metal and the barrel was giving off a ridiculous amount of smoke.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 11-16-14 at 17:28.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anybody have any experience with Rifles Only's version. I just ordered the HAD (Heat Abatement Device) and they said it should be shipping out some time in the next couple of weeks. I melted my pants last time I was at the range..and was hoping that one of these will suffice to keep the super hot suppressor from burning my leg every time I transition to my pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You shouldn't be running your bolt gun fast enough for it to matter. These are
    for heat mirage. If you want protection for your hands for removal goto thefirestore.com and get some interior structural firefighting gloves. Works like a charm for hot cans that just did a mag dump on a AR.
    Industry T&E

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireman1291 View Post
    You shouldn't be running your bolt gun fast enough for it to matter. These are
    for heat mirage. If you want protection for your hands for removal goto thefirestore.com and get some interior structural firefighting gloves. Works like a charm for hot cans that just did a mag dump on a AR.
    That's not entirely true. Bolt guns can and do suffer from the same issues.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast