Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPQ/PPX

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
    I've had a PPQ for about 700 rds, and the only failures I've had have all been the same.

My question, and I post it here because maybe some of the people with thousands of rounds through the platform can answer this for me, is whether or not it is user error, a gun problem, or just something about the way the gun operates. Let me state beforehand that I have not contacted Walther, and I am not trying to bag on them- I like the gun.

The error is when I am firing from reset. To me it seems that I feel two "clicks" in the trigger on the way to full reset and if I pull the trigger too soon (after a perceived first click that feels like reset) on a follow up shot I get nothing. At that point letting off the trigger completely and re pulling also gets nothing. Letting off the trigger, pulling the slide back slightly like a press check and letting it go back into battery solves the issue- pull trigger and bang. Letting the trigger pretty much completely out while shooting without trying for reset also completely avoids the problem, and that is what I have done for the last several hundred rounds. I experienced the error 4 times in the first 150rds or so before changing techniques.

So am I hallucinating, have poor trigger control, or has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Overall as far as the PPQ goes I can really only echo what everyone else has said about the ergo's and the sights. I have a Dawson FO on the front with a stock rear waiting on a replacement
    As I wrote a little ways up, I have probably 4-5k rounds through mine and have never experienced this. I haven't really researched issues with the gun since I haven't really had any but it may be worth be looking around waltherforums.com (if you haven't already) and I would certainly contact Walther directly. Perhaps someone else can be of more help.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got about 1600 rounds through mine (PPQ). I cleaned it once since the initial cleaning (basically a quick wipe down and inspection). Some aren't going to believe this, but I have not had one failure. Not a single feeding issue, light primer strike, ejection issue, etc. Nothing. The thing just runs....on practice ammo and JHP +P. I love the trigger and ergos, beats the heck out of the Glock ergos. It also has a quality feel to it, for a plastic gun. I did put some standard Trijicon green night sights on both mine and my wife's PPQ. Accuracy is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    I like how making a educated and intelligent decision magically turned into "I want a celebrity endorsement", especially when most of the recommendations here
    are based on the input of respected professionals and the firearms track record.

When I bought a vehicle I did my research and got a toyota, when I got a working dog I did my research and got a mal, when I was looking at a new handgun purchase
    I also did a lot or reseach.

It has nothing to do with "celebrity endorsement", it has to do with the fact that, as far as I can see, no experienced expert, and no top notch unit, has decided
    to go with this as a gun to bet your life on, and it also sounds completely unreasonable to say this is only because of a lack of advertising.

It may be the best gun ever, but apparently the best units and people dont think so.

*Ive found thats a good overal approach to things, if you are interested in a gym, a gun, dog, vehcile, competing in anything etc......find out what the best use,
    and start there. Thats how you make a educated decision
    Yeah, most endorsements don't move me. I've seen celebrities endorse $hit. Most of the time I look at what knowledgeable people are saying about a product, not celebrities. It also takes some analytical capability and a skeptical view of what people tell you, you have to have a good understanding of the subject be able to ask the right questions.

Unfortunately, using what the "best" use doesn't always work. Because their needs may be different or the equipment available to them may be different. Or they have teams of people who maintain whatever it is they use or they can afford to use a product that works best but doesn't last very long, etc. etc. For instance some 3gunners might use rifles with light weight bolts and are highly tuned for fast shooting of specialized loads. Because that brand of rifle works for the Pro 3Gunner does not mean they make the best rifle for people who use their rifle every day, every condition, with varied ammo.

If you eliminate the PPQ because the "best" don't use it you have miscalculated. The 9mm PPQs out of the box are better pistols than some of those used by the "best".
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 10-19-14 at 23:36.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ...The error is when I am firing from reset. To me it seems that I feel two "clicks" in the trigger on the way to full reset and if I pull the trigger too soon (after a perceived first click that feels like reset) on a follow up shot I get nothing. At that point letting off the trigger completely and re pulling also gets nothing. Letting off the trigger, pulling the slide back slightly like a press check and letting it go back into battery solves the issue- pull trigger and bang. Letting the trigger pretty much completely out while shooting without trying for reset also completely avoids the problem...
    Does it do this when resetting during slow fire? Or are you letting up the trigger to reset during recoil?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Does it do this when resetting during slow fire? Or are you letting up the trigger to reset during recoil?
    It's been awhile, but as far as I can remember it was during slow fire. Although even while slow firing I'm not keeping the trigger all the way pressed in until recoil is over, so maybe we have different definitions. I'm headed to the range tomorrow so I'll shoot primarily the PPQ; maybe I can nail this down a little further. Haven't thought about this issue in awhile, this thread got my curiosity piqued again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
    As I wrote a little ways up, I have probably 4-5k rounds through mine and have never experienced this. I haven't really researched issues with the gun since I haven't really had any but it may be worth be looking around waltherforums.com (if you haven't already) and I would certainly contact Walther directly. Perhaps someone else can be of more help.
    Thanks, I'll check out that forum

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm closer to ScottsBad in terms of usage, but I too have never had this (or any other) problem.

I think a call to Walther is warranted.

Mine is an M1/First Edition... Not that it matters.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Moved to PPX Range report
    Last edited by bjxds; 10-20-14 at 19:51. Reason: Moved to PPX Range Report

Feedback Score
    I've had a PPQ for about 700 rds, and the only failures I've had have all been the same.

My question, and I post it here because maybe some of the people with thousands of rounds through the platform can answer this for me, is whether or not it is user error, a gun problem, or just something about the way the gun operates. Let me state beforehand that I have not contacted Walther, and I am not trying to bag on them- I like the gun.

The error is when I am firing from reset. To me it seems that I feel two "clicks" in the trigger on the way to full reset and if I pull the trigger too soon (after a perceived first click that feels like reset) on a follow up shot I get nothing. At that point letting off the trigger completely and re pulling also gets nothing. Letting off the trigger, pulling the slide back slightly like a press check and letting it go back into battery solves the issue- pull trigger and bang. Letting the trigger pretty much completely out while shooting without trying for reset also completely avoids the problem, and that is what I have done for the last several hundred rounds. I experienced the error 4 times in the first 150rds or so before changing techniques.

So am I hallucinating, have poor trigger control, or has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Overall as far as the PPQ goes I can really only echo what everyone else has said about the ergo's and the sights. I have a Dawson FO on the front with a stock rear waiting on a replacement
    Check out Walther Forums. I think the thread is named First problem with ppq. This sounds a bit like what is described there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Check out Walther Forums. I think the thread is named First problem with ppq. This sounds a bit like what is described there.

Thank you. After the above advice I did check out the forum, and that is indeed the thread I am currently reading. The problem discussed there is the exact problem I am having, reinforced by a range session today. Email to Walther CS has been sent, I will update here if I find out what the exact problem is and/or fix.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Update:

Could not have asked for a better result. Contacted Walther and received a prompt reply asking me to call them. I did and after a short explanation of the problem I was emailed a return mailing label with no questions asked. Frankly I was a bit worried about this since I am not the original owner and the warranty (and return form asking for receipt) states it is only valid for that person. I would have paid to get it fixed because really what other choice was there, but it's good to know that Walther stands behind the product above and beyond what they state. They received my pistol on Wednesday and sent it back to me the following Monday. Only "it" was a brand new pistol, thankfully equipped with the fiber optic front sight from my old one.

I cannot replicate the failure while dry firing the new one which is of course a good sign since the old one would do it while firing dry or live, and I'll be taking it to the range here in a bit to wring it out live. While no explanation was given by Walther, you could clearly see the trigger bar failing to engage the FPB properly on the old one. I figured they'd just replace the trigger assembly but I'm certainly not complaining about a brand new gun. Props to Walther.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast